Antarctic Ice Marathon 2011

It's 100 years since Amundsen beat Scott to the South Pole. To mark the anniversary, we headed to the Antarctic for a modern polar challenge: the Antarctic Ice Marathon

by Alison Hamlett; Photos: Alison Hamlett & Mike King

Lap three of the four-lap 100K
 10 of 13 
ultra

At 10am the following morning, the ultra runners – all five of them – begin the 100K in very different conditions to the previous day’s marathon. Low cloud creates overcast conditions and the lack of sunshine means the temperature has dropped to -25C. It’s calm in the camp but windy out on the course, and the lack of definition makes every footstep tricky. The marathon runners spend the day recovering in the mess tent, dashing outside to give a cheer any time an ultra runner passes through camp on their four-lap challenge. We’ve eaten three meals, been to a lecture and watched some DVDs by the time Thévenet comes into camp to finish the 100K in 12:09:06, another Antarctic record and an incredible achievement after his win in the marathon the previous day. After 20 hours, the final 100K runner completes the distance but there’s still one runner out on the course. Race director Richard Donovan is aiming to run 100 miles. 

Previous page Next page

TwitterStumbleUponFacebookDiggRedditGoogle

Discuss this article

Absolutely in awe, an amazing achievement well done everyone!!!
Posted: 14/12/2011 at 15:32

Wow - looks totally and utterly amazing!
Posted: 14/12/2011 at 22:05

Congrats to everyone who took part, what a great achievement. An even bigger well done to Yvonne Brown who completed it for a great cause.  All your friends from 'the job' are I'm sure willing to support your efforts. I for one, am.
Posted: 14/12/2011 at 22:13

Well done - looks INCREDIBLE, almost €10000 to enter it next year, which I wan't to be snidy about but purely because i'm incredibly jealous!  maybe one day!
Posted: 15/12/2011 at 23:45

Hello,

Is it possible for some information with regards to Brand/Make of the footwear used by any of the runners in the Ice Marathon (Antartic) or even any snow/ice race.

I hope to do this run and would like to get my footwear right.

Cheers.

Posted: 03/06/2012 at 08:36

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member

Smart Coach
Free, fully-personalized training plans, designed to suit your racing goals and your lifestyle.