Antarctic Ice Marathon 2011

It's 100 years since Amundsen beat Scott to the South Pole. To mark the anniversary, we headed to the Antarctic for a modern polar challenge: the Antarctic Ice Marathon

by Alison Hamlett; Photos: Alison Hamlett & Mike King

All waste is removed to ensure the environment remains pristine
 4 of 13 
pee

The temporary camp is set up for each summer season – which usually lasts from October until February – with all supplies shipped in by plane. The goal to leave this pristine environment untouched means that all waste is shipped out of the Antarctic apart from grey water – waste water from washing dishes and sponge baths – which is sent down a bore hole. There’s no running water for showers or conventional toilets and even water used to clean teeth is collected in a drum to be shipped back to Chile.

Previous page Next page

TwitterStumbleUponFacebookDiggRedditGoogle

Discuss this article

Absolutely in awe, an amazing achievement well done everyone!!!
Posted: 14/12/2011 at 15:32

Wow - looks totally and utterly amazing!
Posted: 14/12/2011 at 22:05

Congrats to everyone who took part, what a great achievement. An even bigger well done to Yvonne Brown who completed it for a great cause.  All your friends from 'the job' are I'm sure willing to support your efforts. I for one, am.
Posted: 14/12/2011 at 22:13

Well done - looks INCREDIBLE, almost €10000 to enter it next year, which I wan't to be snidy about but purely because i'm incredibly jealous!  maybe one day!
Posted: 15/12/2011 at 23:45

Hello,

Is it possible for some information with regards to Brand/Make of the footwear used by any of the runners in the Ice Marathon (Antartic) or even any snow/ice race.

I hope to do this run and would like to get my footwear right.

Cheers.

Posted: 03/06/2012 at 08:36

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member

Smart Coach
Free, fully-personalized training plans, designed to suit your racing goals and your lifestyle.