Antarctic Ice Marathon 2011

It's 100 years since Amundsen beat Scott to the South Pole. To mark the anniversary, we headed to the Antarctic for a modern polar challenge: the Antarctic Ice Marathon

by Alison Hamlett; Photos: Alison Hamlett & Mike King

Inside the camp's cosy mess tent
 5 of 13 
mess tent

The Union Glacier camp is like a five-star hotel compared with the Antarctic encountered by Scott and Amundsen 100 years ago. We spend most of our time in the mess tent, where we eat three hearty meals a day and can help ourselves to hot drinks and at any time. There’s a convivial atmosphere every evening when the wine and beer come out and everyone talks about why they’ve come to race in the last place on earth. Some runners have clocked up more than 100 marathons, others are in single figures. Many are aiming to run a marathon on every continent. In the evenings, visiting scientists give lectures on their research projects.

Previous page Next page

TwitterStumbleUponFacebookDiggRedditGoogle

Discuss this article

Absolutely in awe, an amazing achievement well done everyone!!!
Posted: 14/12/2011 at 15:32

Wow - looks totally and utterly amazing!
Posted: 14/12/2011 at 22:05

Congrats to everyone who took part, what a great achievement. An even bigger well done to Yvonne Brown who completed it for a great cause.  All your friends from 'the job' are I'm sure willing to support your efforts. I for one, am.
Posted: 14/12/2011 at 22:13

Well done - looks INCREDIBLE, almost €10000 to enter it next year, which I wan't to be snidy about but purely because i'm incredibly jealous!  maybe one day!
Posted: 15/12/2011 at 23:45

Hello,

Is it possible for some information with regards to Brand/Make of the footwear used by any of the runners in the Ice Marathon (Antartic) or even any snow/ice race.

I hope to do this run and would like to get my footwear right.

Cheers.

Posted: 03/06/2012 at 08:36

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member

Smart Coach
Free, fully-personalized training plans, designed to suit your racing goals and your lifestyle.