Antarctic Ice Marathon 2011

It's 100 years since Amundsen beat Scott to the South Pole. To mark the anniversary, we headed to the Antarctic for a modern polar challenge: the Antarctic Ice Marathon

by Alison Hamlett; Photos: Alison Hamlett & Mike King

A soft snow shuffle gets the race underway
 7 of 13 
start

At 11am on December 1, 32 runners from 17 countries cross the start line of the seventh Antarctic Ice Marathon in bright sunshine, eager to complete the challenge ahead. The course has been groomed and marked with small orange flags at 50m intervals. Everyone in the camp has been forbidden to drive on it in the week leading up to the race so the going will be as even as possible. The uniform surface disguises terrain that’s tough to run on, and as the day wears on, the sun softens the snow, with the result that the second lap is even tougher than the first. Every step saps energy.

Previous page Next page

TwitterStumbleUponFacebookDiggRedditGoogle

Discuss this article

Absolutely in awe, an amazing achievement well done everyone!!!
Posted: 14/12/2011 at 15:32

Wow - looks totally and utterly amazing!
Posted: 14/12/2011 at 22:05

Congrats to everyone who took part, what a great achievement. An even bigger well done to Yvonne Brown who completed it for a great cause.  All your friends from 'the job' are I'm sure willing to support your efforts. I for one, am.
Posted: 14/12/2011 at 22:13

Well done - looks INCREDIBLE, almost €10000 to enter it next year, which I wan't to be snidy about but purely because i'm incredibly jealous!  maybe one day!
Posted: 15/12/2011 at 23:45

Hello,

Is it possible for some information with regards to Brand/Make of the footwear used by any of the runners in the Ice Marathon (Antartic) or even any snow/ice race.

I hope to do this run and would like to get my footwear right.

Cheers.

Posted: 03/06/2012 at 08:36

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member

Smart Coach
Free, fully-personalized training plans, designed to suit your racing goals and your lifestyle.