How the results were calculated
This list was calculated using ratings given by respondents on www.runnersworld.co.uk after they took part in the races. We worked out the average of the 'overall' rating runners gave races, to arrive at a figure between 0 and 100%, allowing us to rank them. This chart represents races that received between 15 and 24 responses.
Key to percentages
After each event title, you will see some key statistics relating to that race. These are: (Overall Score, How Many People Would Do It Again, Number Of Ratings)
Your Top 50 Races
1. Derwent Dambuster 10 (100%, 100%, 18 ratings)
Where? Derbyshire When? April 18
Increasingly popular race encircling the Derwent and Howden reservoirs.
2. Northumberland Coastal Run 14 (99%, 97%, 18 ratings)
Where? Northumberland When? July 12
Sandy beaches and staggering cliffs provide a breathtaking backdrop to this point-to-point race.
3. Merthyr Mawr Christmas Pudding Challenge 10K (99%, 100%, 16 ratings)
Where? Mid-Glamorgan When? December 13
Scale Europe’s biggest sand dune in pursuit of a pudding for the Christmas dinner table.
4. North Dorset Village Marathon (98%, 98%, 23 ratings)
Where? Dorset When? May 3
Held for the first time in 2009, Dorset’s only road marathon is just as picturesque as its rural counterparts.
5. Soto's 10K (97%, 100%, 22 ratings)
Where? Lancashire When? June 26
Charity fundraiser setting off from Fleetwood's Sea Cadet Base and leading runners out-and-back along the promenade.
6. Lincolnshire Wolds 10 (96%, 100%, 17 ratings)
Where? Lincolnshire When? September 5
Runners are doubly rewarded for this tough 10-mile fixture, with stunning rural scenery and a sausage and chips lunch!
7. CancerCare Cross Bay Challenge 13.1 (96%, 100%, 23 ratings)
Where? Cumbria When? August 16
This charity canter across Morecambe Bay is one of a kind, with stunning scenery and sand underfoot.
8. Coniston 14 (96%, 98%, 22 ratings)
Where? Cumbria When? March 28
Coniston Water may be flat and calm, but the road circling it is anything but – the route through its beautiful mountain backdrop rises, falls and rises again.
9. Nick Beer 10K (96%, 100%, 16 ratings)
Where? Conwy When? February 8
A stunning and varied route around the Great Orme keeps runners on their toes throughout.
10. Para's 10 (96%, 94%, 18 ratings)
Where? North Yorkshire When? September 13
A unique multi-terrain course as used in the Parachute Regiment's Selection, with the option to carry a 35lb rucksack and wear military boots for an even tougher challenge.
11. White Peak Marathon (and Half-Marathon) (95%, 100%, 15 ratings)
Where? Derbyshire When? May 16
This off-road race run over the Tissington and High Peak trails in Derbyshire is perfect for those who prefer smaller events to the allure of big city races.
12. McCain Yorkshire Coast 10K (94%, 98%, 24 ratings)
Where? North Yorkshire When? October 11
New chip-timed 10K held along Scarborough's seafront and praised for its big-race atmosphere.
13. The Hestercombe Humdinger (94%, 97%, 16 ratings)
Where? Somerset When? February 1
Hilly figure-of-eight jaunt around the Quantocks – complete with free admission to historic Hestercombe Gardens.
14. Haweswater Half-Marathon (94%, 100%, 16 ratings)
Where? Cumbria When? March 1
Exhilarating out-and-back route skirting the shores of Haweswater in a remote and dramatic mountain valley.
15. Saab Salomon Keswick Mountain Festival Trail 10K (94%, 100%, 16 ratings)
Where? Cumbria When? May 17
New addition to the north-west racing calendar taking you over the Cat Bells hills against a stunning Lake District backdrop.
16. Frieth Hilly 10K (94%, 100%, 19 ratings)
Where? Buckinghamshire When? October 18
A variety of terrain underfoot makes for an interesting jaunt through the Chiltern hills.
17. Evesham Vale 10K (93%, 98%, 24 ratings)
Where? Worcestershire When? July 12
Gorgeous multi-terrain event set along the pretty waterside paths of the River Avon.
18. Halloween 5 Nite Run (93%, 90%, 21 ratings)
Where? Berkshire When? October 31
Scare yourself silly – and raise money for charity – with this self-illuminated night run through quiet parkland.
19. South Cheshire 20 (93%, 100%, 19 ratings)
Where? Cheshire When? May 10
Take on a mix of ups and downs among a small field as you loop between quaint rural villages.
20. Chernobyl Challenge 10K (93%, 94%, 18 ratings)
Where? Lancashire When? August 2
Flat and friendly charity fixture set along an old tramway and converted railway track.
21. Dry Hill 10 (93%, 100%, 15 ratings)
Where? Surrey When? September 6
Challenging multi-terrain course through the heart of Surrey, renowned for its post-race cake spread.
22. Offa's Orror 20K (93%, 100%, 23 ratings)
Where? Monmouthshire When? April 14
"Orror" might just be the right word for 1,600ft of climbing through the stunning Wye Valley gorge.
23. Bourton-on-the-Water 10K (92%, 100%, 16 ratings)
Where? Gloucestershire When? February 22
A repeat sell-out for good reason: this fast, flat and fabulous-looking fixture draws hordes of runners to one of the Cotswolds' most picturesque market towns each year.
24. Seaford Half-Marathon (92%, 97%, 19 ratings)
Where? East Sussex When? June 7
Long, flat stretches are offset by gut-wrenching clifftop climbs in this testing tour of a quiet seaside resort.
25. Fitness First Bournemouth Bay Run 10K (92%, 100%, 21 ratings)
Where? Dorset When? April 5
Be part of Dorset's largest running event with this range of distances run beside Bournemouth Pier and the seafront.
26. The Beast (92%, 100%, 21 ratings)
Where? Dorset When? September 6
Clifftop paths encompassing climbs, stiles, and more than 200 steps will challenge your legs on the way to a majestic finish at Corfe Castle.
27. Serpentine New Year's Day 10K (92%, 98%, 20 ratings)
Where? London When? January 1
The perfect antidote to party season excesses – clear your head with this popular race through London's Hyde Park.
28. Fairlands Valley Challenge Marathon (92%, 97%, 16 ratings)
Where? Hertfordshire When? July 19
Brush up on your map-reading skills then choose your distance in this beautiful off-road challenge, famed for its pudding-laden checkpoints.
29. Helensburgh Half-Marathon (92%, 100%, 16 ratings)
Where? Argyll and Bute When? August 9
Spectacular lochside out-and-back course touring the Firth of Clyde.
30. Chedworth Roman Trail 10 (92%, 97%, 15 ratings)
Where? Gloucestershire When? April 5
Uneven terrain, several taxing hills and a knee-deep river crossing make this a challenging cross-country course through the heart of the Cotswolds.
31. Firle Half-Marathon (and 10K) (92%, 93%, 23 ratings)
Where? East Sussex When? September 27
Stunning views from the top of the South Downs are the reward for all those hardy enough to tackle the tough ascents.
32. Belvoir Half-Marathon (92%, 97%, 18 ratings)
Where? Leicestershire When? April 12
Known for its association with pies and cheese, Melton Mowbray also has a popular half-marathon to shout about.
33. Corsham St Georges 10K (92%, 100%, 17 ratings)
Where? Wiltshire When? April 19
Expect a mix of up and downs from this well-supported jaunt around a historic market town.
34. Gin Pit 5 (92%, 97%, 19 ratings)
Where? Lancashire When? April 5 and October 11
Multi-lap trail race praised for its pocket-friendly price tag and welcoming atmosphere - an ideal introduction to off-road running.
35. Birchwood 10K (92%, 97%, 19 ratings)
Where? Cheshire When? August 23
Fast times, spot-on organisation and brilliant finisher goodies - this rural number ticks all the right boxes.
36. Blakedown Bolt 10K (91%, 97%, 15 ratings)
Where? Worcestershire When? June 19
Early-evening multi-terrain fixture, known for its beautiful woodland scenery, mix of terrain and post-race beer tent/
37. ADP Highclere 10K (91%, 97%, 18 ratings)
Where? Berkshire When? September 27
Highclere Castle provides a magnificent setting for this taxing multi-terrain race.
38. Hatfield Broad Oak 10K (91%, 100%, 19 ratings)
Where? Hertfordshire When? May 25
A charming route, quintessentially local feel and all the fun of a village fete make this a great day out for the whole family.
39. Buntingford Brewery (Pirton) Boxing Day 3.2 (92%, 100%, 27 ratings)
Where? Hertfordshire When? December 26
There's fun for all the family in this fancy-dress Boxing Day fixture, known for its festive atmosphere and intimate local feel.
40. Great Scottish Run (91%, 98%, 22 ratings)
Where? Strathclyde When? September 6
Lively spectator support, some crowd-pleasing touches and plenty of PB potential make this well-organised road race a memorable affair.
41. London to Brighton 56 (91%, 87%, 15 ratings)
Where? London When? September 20
Not for the faint-hearted - this self-navigated ultra running event will lead you over the North and South Downs before you reach the coast.
42. The Tilty Hilly 5 (91%, 100%, 15 ratings)
Where? Essex When? June 7
Quiet road course crammed with testing hills – luckily there's the distraction of pretty countryside surroundings.
43. Ridgeway Run 15K (91%, 100%, 15 ratings)
Where? Hertfordshire When? October 11
Challenging trail race boasting stunning Chiltern views and a stretch through the beautiful Ashridge Forest.
44. Wiggle Thunder Run 10K (91%, 100%, 20 ratings)
Where? Derbyshire When? April 25
Heart-hammering trail number promising an adrenalin-fuelled ride through the grounds of Catton Hall Park and a bulging goody bag for all finishers.
45. Ironbridge Half-Marathon (90%, 98%, 24 ratings)
Where? Shropshire When? March 22
Starting from Telford Town Park, the course meanders down to Ironbridge before crossing the river for a long steady climb back to the finish.
46. Long Eaton 5 (90%, 98%, 22 ratings)
Where? Derbyshire When? June 14
Flat, fast fixture, praised for its friendly atmosphere and PB potential.
47. Hard As Snails 10K (90%, 100%, 22 ratings)
Where? Surrey When? August 22
Taxing course that takes in the beautiful scenery of St. Martha's Hill and the Albury Downs, held in aid of the Surrey Wildlife Trust.
48. Cambridge Cambourne 10K (90%, 93%, 21 ratings)
Where? Cambridgeshire When? April 5
New off-road event set along well-kept footpaths through woodland and meadows.
49. Downton Half-Marathon (90%, 100%, 21 ratings)
Where? Wiltshire When? November 29
Demanding route along narrow country lanes skirting the Wiltshire/Hampshire border.
50. Three Forts Marathon (90%, 94%, 18 ratings)
Where? West Sussex When? May 3
More than 3,450ft of climbing over 27 miles of rough terrain – it’s no wonder this cross-country number is nicknamed "The Tough One".