In short: Decent, well run half, great marshalling too In full: First time for this one and I'll be back - good organisation, nice local feel and finishing on the track great! Hills add a bit of interest, some dull road bits but nice off road section too. Cheery marshalls and good police traffic crossings made it a good, never going to be a pb, half. Date of review: July 21, 2009
In short: It's my first half in Dartford and I must say i loved it. The event was well-organised even though i wished it started later as i was doing a mad rush this morning to catch the train from London Charing Cross to arrive into Dartford at 8.20am. In full:
The set up of the race was plain though. Nothing in the race that says "Dartford Half Marathon 2009" except for some flourescent green road signs. Would have expected that at the start/finish gantry. Makes good photo opportunity. But overall was a good run. Didn't achieve my PB but still i was satisfied as it was not extremely challenging as I read some reviews previously. Mile 9 to 10 was quite a drag as it was just ascending.
Five interesting things observed in the race:
1. Did you see a marriage proposal on the lamp post at the last mile? I thought it was quite sweet even though it would have been a little embarassing if the bride missed the note.
2. I thought the white Skins tights looked really nice on the young guy (oh you know who I'm talking about if you saw him). Yummy. Thought it would be see through but it wasn't. Unless I missed it or he packed it under a thong! Maybe I shall get it for bf's birthday since he has the body and package to wear it too!
3. I was such an idiot to buy a fuel gel when it was given free by Lucozade, just across the stall i was buying from.
4. Confining some parts of the race to the footpath and running in single file was quite a pain. Many lost opportunity to overtake because of live traffic.
5. Best part of the race from 10th mile. Downhill all the way to the finish!
In short: Good,solid half marathon In full: Scores top marks for organisation and an excellent venue in the athletics stadium.
Since I last ran it,the big hill at mile 9 has changed.From memory,it's not as steep,but the new detour section means you're running uphill for longer.
The course is "all right" : the roads around Dartford are always busy (proximity of Bluewater must be a factor)but the police and marshalls did an excellent job of keeping us away from the traffic.
Personally,I don't believe it needs chip-timing.The technology doesn't always work (e.g.Canterbury half this year) and it's your official time that counts (you can always get your unofficial time from your stopwatch). Date of review: July 21, 2009
In short: Well Organised, challenging race will be adding to calendar for next year. In full: This was the first time I ran this race and will definatley do it again. The hills were challenging but the last three miles downhill made up for it!
Plenty of marshalls which were all brilliant, well stocked water stations and wet sponges. Will recommend to others! Date of review: July 20, 2009
In short: Excellent Race & Organisation In full: All you have to do is run. Marshalling is excellent and plenty of water stations with sponges. Finishing on the track adds icing to the cake. Date of review: July 20, 2009
In short: great run,helped by the cooler weather.preferred goin through the country park than climbing the hill at 9 miles,well marshalled ,enough drinks/facilities.definately do next year./f Date of review: July 20, 2009