In short: Great for a PB, crowds are wonderful but finish still needs work to reach full potential In full: The crowd were great, the information points the day before were good and the route is flat-ish so potentially fast. BUT a large part of route is "out and back" which can be dull and the paths seemed narrow for the number of runners, so spent a lot of the time dodging other runners and getting out of other people's way which is a bit tiring/annoying. Also the finish was not so good - the floor was uneven and high potential to trip right at the end - which is not what you need. Also goodie bag was poor and they ran out of merchandise early at the shop so it was pretty empty even for the early finishers. Having bronze, silver and gold medals for the different events was a nice touch though and all the marshals were fantastic, and very helpful. Overall it was a great day and I got a PB so had an ace time...but for an event of this size it just feels like they could make some small changes to make it a really fantastic event for everyone. Date of review: May 31, 2013
In short: Good to go at PB's but could do with some improvements In full: The start was fairly straight-forward and even I didn't use the toilet felt they should had more. But the start was 5 mins behind start, good crowd to cheer you off. I managed to find a running buddy and we just said let's go for it. We did and first half sailed quickly enough. But it is at this point as I had trained with SIS they were NO ISO drinks ;-(. I can't stomach gels. It wasn't until 20 miles that my body was needing an ISO. But then crowds were helpful. Now the end please no rubber mate when you have run on blisters for 5 miles. The after finish is poor, goody bag is shocking. I along with others were shaking. And lastly what you don't is a 1.5. Mile walk to the train station or bus shuttle.
In short: Potential to be a lot better In full: Edinburgh marathon is okay but I found it very lacking in the finer details. Some of which were very important.
1. There were nowhere near enough toilets either at the start or on the route. Toilets that were at the start area were not sign-posted. They could have had signs saying 'more toilets over here, etc'. I never had a chance to go before the race but needed to. I planned to stop at the 3 mile point but there was already a queue of about 10 people when I got there! The same was true of almost every toilet stop along the route. This is not good enough.
2. There were not enough loud speakers at the start area. I was in the 4 hour start zone and we could not hear a thing the guy on the loudspeaker was saying. Apparently there was a countdown to the start - we couldn't hear it.
3. The mile markers were out almost the whole way along the route. At one point all of the garmins around me beeped simultaneously but the mile marker was still about quarter of a mile away. This was really annoying.
4. The goodie bag is rubbish. A museli bar, a bottle of water and some electrolytes after running 26 miles. It would have been nice to have more food/fuel.
5. No signage at the finish area and nobody to help. It was really crowded outside the finish area and no signage to where the meeting place was.
These might sound like small points. But they did affect the day and have definitely put me off running Edinburgh again. Date of review: May 31, 2013
In short: It was HOT HOT HOT & I suffered towards the end. In full: Very well organised, Only small moan was no energy drinks available during the race just water & gels but great medal & t-shirt and fantastic support from the crowds. Date of review: May 29, 2013
In short: Great event, poor results In full: I dont normally do this sort of run, only my 2nd big city half in 30 odd years ! We got to start early as minutes away from where we were staying, baggage stowed easily, but there seemed to be a problem with toilets. Most were at the rear near the baggage area, more are needed nearer to the start. I enjoyed the course and the support during the race. Disappointed in the T shirt, nice material but looks like a charity T shirt, no mention of Edinburgh on it ! The big minus is lack of full results with chip and gun timing which all big events publish the same day. I was 4th in my age group, but looking at finish photos I was 3rd over the line which is what normally counts. Minor gripe but very important for me, but we hope to be back next year. Date of review: May 29, 2013
In short: An excellent race In full: Well organise . Crew were fantastic, friendly and not "Jobsworth" as at the GNR. More water stations in the 1st ½ please. The water staion at the turn arounsd point was an accident waiting to happen. Very congested with people stopping & turning. Move it to the park entrance. Signage not very good at start & finish. Why are the baggage lorries at the furthest point from the beer tent? Date of review: May 29, 2013