In short: Disappointing. In full: I last ran this course in 2010 and throughly enjoyed it. The miles along the Thames to Hampton Court palace are nice - making up for the remainder of the course. Not this time. If the distance is not 16 miles then state it is not 16 miles - or better yet, fix your course. PB potential is only here if you are happy to cheat yourself on a short course. I appreciate the weather was awful - it absolutely bucketed down for the longer distances. The marshals have a tough job, and many were just brilliant. However England does rain. So please ensure bags (that you pay £2 to keep 'safe') are dry. You should not finish a race in appalling conditions and are presented with soggy kit to change into when the race itself was an expensive one to enter. Date of review: October 17, 2013
In short: Profit driven race to enrich the Human Race organisers In full: 1. Distances are wrong. When you say a race is 8, 16 or 24 miles long, MAKE it that distance, and not add a lame excuse on your web site stating the distances are shorter or else DON'T call it an 8, 16 or 24 mile race
2. Gigantic toilet queues due to the fact that there were only a handful of portable loos, simply pathetic, when are race directors going to get the maths right? and saying we should use other toilets elsewhere is simply a statement of their incompetence, as stated on the e-mails suggesting car park toilets would be available, I wonder if a single one of those in charge cared or bothered to check if they were actually functioning, as a matter of fact they were NOT
3. No policy about not using head phones is in place, which makes navigating around those with head phones a nightmare, because they can't hear you asking them to give space so that you can get passed on those narrow paths
4. Charging for baggage drop? JOKE, simply put, and worse even, this has always been the case, but all of the sudden they thought it was a good idea to charge twice the amount it used to be. And that is only to have my bag placed under a stupid tent and to find ALL my dry clothes soaked after the race due to the rain, who thinks (or doesn't) stuff like that? if you are prepared to charge a small fortune for a service which by the way SHOULD be included in the already expensive price tag we paid for the race, make that service at least half decent and not return runners kit soaked to them after the race in raining conditions, it's shambolic.
5. In previous years this race used to hand out lucuzade bottles, this time around someone had the brilliant thought to change what was a great feature and replace bottles with cups instead, another perfect example of the type of people running this circus
6. They didn't bother with the medals either, the medal doesn't state the distance one has done, classic example of doing things on the cheap side which of course gives Human Race a higher profit margin
7. In previous years if you placed in the top 3 male & female in each event, you would get a little prize, that has also been scrapped.
All in all, a race to be avoided in the future. Date of review: October 14, 2013
In short: Well organised but lonely In full: This is well organised, people are friendly. I prob would run it again. I thought it was cheeky they charged for baggage, given the entry fee was not cheap. Also, most of this race was spent running on my own. But perhaps I need to speed up! Date of review: October 13, 2013
In short: Awful event In full: Here's why this event is awful:
1. The advertised distances are wrong. I ran the 16 mile race which in fact was 15.7 miles. Yes I know that they told us in advance with a tiny note on their web site, but they persisted in calling it a 16 miler and misleading everybody all the way up to the starting gun. A lot of people were cheesed off with this and we assumed that the event was organised by people who don't really understand the importance of course accuracy when you're on the hunt for a PB.
2. The toilets were disgusting and there were so few toilets available that I missed the start (that's never happened to me before in over 25 years of racing). There was a handy note in the race pack telling us to use the toilets in the car park as they wouldn't be so busy. They were closed for maintenance! Get a grip race "organisers".
3. The course is rubbish. Apart from a pleasant couple of miles along the tow path, the rest is run along paths on busy main roads with little room to pass other runners.
4. The race is run by those irritating people who insist on wearing headphones and then run in pairs and block the paths. How am I supposed to get past?
5. There was some blatant cheating going on with "16 mile" runners crossing the line after "8 miles", taking a medal and going home. I hope you can sleep tonight.
This event reminded me of all the things I really don't like about races. I won't be running this again. I'm now stuck with a t-shirt I don't want. Date of review: October 13, 2013