0 to Marathon in 25 Weeks!! :-)

My journey... I hope some of you are along for the ride

21 to 40 of 48 messages
10/01/2013 at 23:02
Today did not go to plan!! The run today was 2/1 min run/walk x 6 reps, no kids today so I was planning on a run before work - unfortunately I majorly over slept and only just got to work on time

I was working until 9pm so knew I wouldn't want to run this evening, so I shoe horned in a run at lunch time. I literally flew into my running gear (superman would've been proud, all I was missing was a phone box to spin around in!! Lol) and did my normal route starting up hill.

I suffered with Really! bad stitch about half way around, I'd eaten a banana in the morning and a cup of tea but nothing big. It was enough to nearly double me up, I remembered reading that if you breath out really strongly a few times that it can help - so I tried it and it worked. I also started tensing my stomach muscles slightly as I ran and that helped too.

I skipped my cool down, did hardly any stretching, and had no chance for an ice cold shower - but I'm really glad I got out there and didn't whimp out

Also glad I didn't plan on doing a run tonight cus on my way back from work the car ran out of petrol! Doh!!! Hubby to the rescue, and beans, egg and chips for a quick dinner. Sooooo glad to be sat down!
12/01/2013 at 22:57
Yesterday was a rest day, so back to it today. I was working this morning and had loads of jobs to do this afternoon which means I had far too much time to talk myself in and out of doing a run! By 4:30pm I was boring myself so put my kit on and went! Lol

Todays' session was 3/1 min run/walk x 5 reps, I was feeling quite confident but picked as flat a route as possible so I didn't get too out of puff. As it was a bit nippy (!) I put on an extra layer of clothing - I use the base layer of some ski gear I've got, it's light, warm and wickable: it works for me anyway.

It went really well, I felt very natural and comfortable in my stride and no aches, I took it slowly. I felt the last set of running was dragging a bit, I just put it down to being tired and kept going - then my timer beeped: I'd ran through the cool down!! 5 mins!! I'd mistaken the cool down beep for another running rep lol.

I was really glad I managed 5 mins of running as not scheduled to do that for another week, but I really! need to find my Garmin (yes I am lucky enough to have one, just not seen it since I moved house) and stop using dodgy timer app on old iPod :-/

Out again tomorrow, yay!
13/01/2013 at 00:21
Sounds like your doing well. Keep it up, well done x
13/01/2013 at 22:19
Day 12 of my 3 weeks to running 30 minutes - not continually, but once I've got to that point I'll reevaluate.

So today was 2/1 min run/walk x 8 reps, I wasn't concerned about todays' session - I've done this session with 6 reps so 2 more didn't seem so hard: or so I thought! Up the hill I went and I have to say by the time I got to the top I was feeling quite tired, down the hill was better but it definitely all felt harder than I was expecting.

As I got to the flat section, I tried to really focus on the feel of running - picking a point on the ground 10 feet ahead and just concentrating on getting there, then picking another spot and so on. It really distracted me from wondering why it was feeling harder, and then I was done.

I think I was a bit tired from yesterdays' longer and later run, also I went out with out eating or drinking much - I normally have a sweet ginger tea in the morning, so maybe that was it :-/

I ran past my brother in law, and I have to say it was a fantastic feeling to see the surprise on his face, I haven't really seen the extended family to mention my marathon project but I think they'll be surprised

Any way very glad I did it, and a rest day tomorrow
13/01/2013 at 22:24
Hi Amanda

Awwwww thanks for the support, it means a lot So far so good, and I'm enjoying just being out there and challenging myself - I feel like its been a while since I did something purely for me lol
16/01/2013 at 00:19
Todays run was the same as Saturday - 3/1 min run/walk x 5 reps.

Ran straight from the school gates, then along the canal path. It went well, felt comfortable - but I have to say most of my concentration was taken up with not going flat on my arse; bloody icey patches everywhere!!! I ran the last rep as four minutes to get a bit closer to home - and because I could! Lol

I made it home in one piece, then had to get to college straight off - so I didn't do too many stretches. Back out tomorrow doing 4 min running section!
17/01/2013 at 19:26
BRILLIANT

You are going fantastic. It's not easy fitting it in but reading your updates it's really noticeable how much you are improving

I went out in the snow tonight did 6.5km I've never run in the snow before, actually enjoyed myself and found myself grinning!! I must be enjoying this running lark
17/01/2013 at 22:41
I should've gone put for a run yesterday but I felt a bit ropey (thought I might becoming down with a tummy bug) so gave it a miss ????

So today's run was 4/1 run/walk x 4 reps, I jumped out of bed and got my kit on before I had time to think about it! There was hardly any ice which was nice ????I felt okay the first rep, the second felt like really hard work, the last two felt great - really comfortable - which is nice, I guess it takes a little while for my body to warm up and find its stride.

Back to 2 min running sections tomorrow - I still feel off colour, but I'm pretty sure it's a throat infection thing (hubby has the same symptoms) I can't see it stopping me running, I'll just take it easy ????
17/01/2013 at 22:54
Hey booktrunk ????

Awwww thanks for that - I've got another week on my present plan (although I think I'll do another couple of weeks with longer running sections) and then I'll start following the non-runners marathon trainer book to get me to marathon distance - it's main focus is on getting a first timer around with no emphasis on time.

I'm thinking of doing the Coombe Abbey Marathon, mainly cus the date is ideal (30/6/2013) and its only an hour away from home - if anyone has any experience of this one please share

Well done you for going out in the snow - I worry that I'll trip up or down a curb I can't see, or over a branch covered by snow - people must think us mad when we are grinning like loons! It's almost a habit this running thing for you - but as long as you're enjoying it that's what counts
17/01/2013 at 22:57
Hahaha don't take any notice of all the question marks, I've been using smilies off my iPad and it obviously doesn't work!! Lol its not that I'm terminally confused or have a terrible case of amnesia! xxx
18/01/2013 at 21:53
I have to say I didn't brave the elements and run through the mountain of snow that's fallen, my step sons school was close early: so I walked to the school to fetch him and that was it! :-/

I have to say my throat is killing me, I feel really off colour

I've got a rest day tomorrow, so hopefully back out Sunday
19/01/2013 at 20:47
Thought I'd say hi on this thread too, I've enjoyed reading it and am training for a marathon too. Went out in the snow today and it was hard on my calves and ankles

Good luck for sundays run
20/01/2013 at 23:30
I'm dyingggggggg!!!!! Well okay not really but I feel shocking! Lol Ive come down with a full blown head cold - I feel like I've been repeatedly punched in the face! Needless to say I didn't make it out for a run I really hope I'm feeling better tomorrow - it been 4 days since I've run and I've got itchy feet I'm not gonna do anything stupid, but to take it slowly rather than make myself seriously ill, but its sooooooo frustrating!

Hi Martha, great to hear from you! Have you picked your marathon? And if so when and where? Well done for braving the snow - that shows real commitment, and if you can cope with this I think you'll cope with anything!
21/01/2013 at 00:01
Good luck with your cold!!

I managed to do 7k in 44m before it got to slippery with new snow today.
23/01/2013 at 23:40
Finally!! After 5 days I managed to get back out and do some running! I've started day 15 again, so 4/1 run/walk x 4 reps.

The snow has been pretty slow to clear from the paths so I was nervous about running on the streets. I decided my best bet was to do laps of a bit of park/field at the end of our road - it's got scraggly grass and is normally very wet/muddy from all the kids cutting across it on their way to school. The snow had settled to a good couple of inches - so soft snow over squishing mud was a different surface to run on! But at least I wouldn't be sliding about, and if I fell it would be a pretty soft landing! Lol

It went really well considering; first run since horrible cold (only started to get any energy back yesterday), and 5 days with no exercise of any sort. Like last time the first two sets were the hardest, by three and four I was feeling good I really noticed how much I had to pick my knees up running in snow, but not felt any extra aches. As I was running laps I could see my previous foot prints which was really satisfying by the end! Lol

Back out tomorrow, might risk the pavements
23/01/2013 at 23:45
Awwwww thanks booktrunk, I'm feeling much better now! I know running wisdom says that if the cold is from the neck up then you can still run - but I didn't have the energy to stand and do the washing up!! I think I did the best thing by taking it easy, and I missed the worst of the weather!

I can't wait to start running by distance rather than time, it's some how more of an achievement in my mind - but I'm gonna be awhile before I'm near your times! That's really impressive! How long did you find it took before you could work on times rather than just staying the distance?
24/01/2013 at 08:48

hehe a while.  My marathon that I completed I say i've done a marathon... I don't mention that it took me like forever (ok 5.5 hours) but, they I got there

I was looking at my.asics.co.uk where i've logged every run that i've done, and apparently i've done 744.5km so 465 miles since i started last May.

I admire you following your program I did my own version, there is a dirt track near me that's about 700-800m long and basically i started running up there and back, and it was embarassing how much I walked the first few times and how much I could jog.  But I just forced myself with my tight time frame I had no choice. 

I did 41km in May at an average of 8.44 per km i'm a slow walker my walking pace per km is about 12m per km. whereas my OH's average pace walking in 10m per km, so I was hardly going faster then he could walk.

This month i've been lazy with the snow and being cautious n recovering from my little op at the end of November, but i've so far done 60km at 6:50 per km so getting a bit quicker it just happens with practise.

EDIT: I have to say running is awesome for the figure, along with my diet.  Now 78 lbs lighter then when I started dieting last March and my waistline is over 33cm less hehe  

Edited: 24/01/2013 at 09:02
25/01/2013 at 22:09
Okay for sme reason my post from yesterday didn't show u so here it is now.

Yesterdays run was 2/1 run/walk x 8 reps. I have to say I didn't cover myself in glory thought I'd rn on the pavements which was a big mistake cus they were covered in ice, I took the dog with me and after to reps he refused to move, and then my sister drove past me on the way to my house to visit!! I did about 4 of the reps and called it quits I always think the hardest part is getting out there, so cutting it short feels really! frustrating. I chalked it down to experience and looked forward to the next run - 5 minutes running!
25/01/2013 at 22:24
Today's run was 5/1 run/walk x 4 reps.

I was a little bit nervous about running 5 minutes continuously - I've a some time off so not sure if I was as fit as I should be.

I ran on the paths as they've cleared up a bit, and the first rep felt really good, the second was fine, and the third and fourth felt really comfortable - I wasn't out of breath or praying for the walking section which is nice! Lol

By the end of the fourth rep my shoulders felt a bit stiff and my legs a bit achey but overall I'm really pleased lots of stretching when I got in but no cold shower which might be a mistake :-/

Day off tomorrow and back out Sunday, yay!
25/01/2013 at 22:34
That's fantastic
21 to 40 of 48 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.