10k in 50 minutes thread

Anyone else aiming for this at the moment?

21 to 40 of 139 messages
27/05/2011 at 14:44
Good luck Lisa.
27/05/2011 at 14:49
November 2009 I set a 10k PB of 51m37s on a flat course and last week at the Crouch End 10k I set a new PB of 59:28. I'll stick in this thread though as my challenge is to now make that a sustainable pace for all my runs.
27/05/2011 at 14:59
One of my aims for this year is a sub 50 10k; my first 10k was two years ago and I came in at 57 mins, this time last year I did 52 min 10k at the start of a half marathon (finished 1:53). I'm definitely a bit slower now due to inconsistent training but the circumstances that have lead to that should sort themselves out in the next couple of weeks and I can then really focus again. I've also recently joined a club which is helping with the dreaded speed work!

I have a my eye on a 10k in about 6 weeks time, this one won't be the sub 50 but should at least show me how far I have to go to get there
27/05/2011 at 15:07

Good luck Lisa, let us know how you get on.

What training are you folks doing to get you towards the big goal?  I've introduced interval and tempo sessions since the start of the year and I'm feeling much fitter. Will soon see how it translates into race performance!

28/05/2011 at 08:28

Good luck this weekend Lisa.

I am also going to try and introduce some speedwork and interval training Dr fg. 

I can comfortably run more than the distance now just need to increase my speed.  I am currently doing one long run (presently 8 miles but increasing gradually every week up to half marathon distance).  One slightly faster run of about five miles and another fast tempo run of about 3 miles.  So far the improvement has been quite steep, 59 mins in October 2010 and then 54 mins at the Manchester 10k the other week. I am guessing that I am now in a position where speedwork and interval training will be needed to continue my improvment and get under 50 mins so am going to add another session to my training.  I am also considering joining a club.

28/05/2011 at 09:50

Hi

I spotted this while looking for another thread, and although I typically run about 45' I thought I'd say a bit about how I brought my time down.

So, what's the secret? First thing I'd say is avoid using the word 'just', when you're talking about what you need to do. It takes effort to shave off minutes. It also needs some good fortune, both on the day and in preparation. An illness here, a sore leg there, work commitments, an extra curry or three, lots of fun runners in front of you on the day... and your time won't be going anywhere.

Next thing is book a few races in, spaced perhaps about fortnightly to monthly, that give you a consistent prompt, as well as providing a training run for the next!

Now, as for training, think of the words 'jog' and 'run', and what they mean. They're different for a reason - pretty obvious really, but translate that to your legs and to 'run' means pushing on every step, rather than simply moving at a fast, but comfortable pace. This is where for many people on a 10k the mental strength is needed.

A training partner can help. My wife started running occasionally with me last year. She was consistently well above 50' and did 47' last run.

Good luck to you all!

Barry

28/05/2011 at 17:00

I'd like to join this thread too, please?

Barry, thanks for your helpful hints especially about 'pushing' on every step.  I went for a run at the track this morning and got a PB for 10K of 55:25. (Previously my PB was 57:? which was the first 10K of a 15K race.)  This morning felt very fast to me and I can't imagine being able to run much faster (but obviously I'm still a long way off of 50mins.)  Hopefully, hearing what some of you guys are doing in your training may help!

Jude (I'm a girl)

28/05/2011 at 22:29

That's fantastic, Jude. Well done!

Most runners will know what you mean about feeling you couldn't run much faster. It will probably take some time but is worth the effort and you may well be surprised at what you are capable of.

That's a lot you've shaved off, so maybe relax for a couple of days, then have a couple of steady runs before tackling your time again in about a week. Your body will appreciate the time to adjust to the new faster you!

Enjoy. Look forward to seeing you in the 45's some day!

Barry

28/05/2011 at 23:20
I'd love to do under 50 mins.  My PB is 52.02 which I did at the Abbey Dash, Nov 09.  Since then the best I've done is just under 54 mins and it seems like I'll never be able to get better!  My 5k PB is 26.01 (exactly half the 10k you may notice), which tells me either the 10k time was decent, or my 5k time isn't fast enough .  I don't do loads of races (although I do do parkrun most weeks) but I'd love to achieve this by the end of the year.  So, count me in.
31/05/2011 at 07:54
Yesterday was a PB even though slightly over the time I was aiming for !

I finished in 55:44 putting me 3757 out of 9805 finishers but 94th in my age group (women 40-44) so overall I was quite pleased and I think puts me more or less on track to make a sub 50 this year a realistic goal to aim for. My target race for this is the brooks Brighton 10k in November... I have a few months training if I don't quite make the sub 50 mins but get close I will still be happy
31/05/2011 at 08:38
Well done!
31/05/2011 at 10:10

Well done Ms Muddy Paws.

Most of us seem to be trying to get from around 55mins. It's quite a big ask. That's a minute a mile faster, nearly 10% faster. 8min miles!

I can do 8 min miles but on the flat and only for 2/3 miles.

31/05/2011 at 10:25
This link shows my splits from yesterday... You can see where I lost it a bit mid race and I also forgot to stop my watch at the finish !

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/88998439

Lisa
31/05/2011 at 11:06

I recon if you had started at 8:45 minute miles you would have got round in under 54mins. Those first two miles were very fast, then you hit the incline.

My 13mile run yesterday was terrible. Normally I'll do it in 2:15, yesterday I stopped to walk about 5 times even though I was running slower than usual. It took 2:24, not a great problem, at least I got out. 2 weeks to my half and 4 to my next 10k.

31/05/2011 at 13:20

Congratulations Muddypaws.

You are like me you start fast slow down in the middle and then speed up at the end.   I don't realise I am running so fast at the start I just get carried along by the crowd. 

I think I will do a parkrun this weekend in preparation for the Mersey Tunnel 10k on 12 June.  I find that I run faster at a parkrun than I do if I am just doing a fast 5k on my own.

31/05/2011 at 14:03
Hi everyone.. first post on here...

Started running about 4 weeks ago and have managed to clock a PB of 57:28 for 10k, so I best stick myself in this thread to get under 50:00 by year end....

I managed a 5k run at my local track in 25:37 on Friday, so going to aim for sub 20:00 this year wuth a lot of training!!!!

Will do a proper intro in the proper place in a bit, but for now - Hello!

Paul
31/05/2011 at 16:13
Hi Deva Duck,

I must admit I realised I was going too fast to start with..... I made the mistake of trying to keep up with someone rather than running my own race. This really has taught me the importance of pacing......

My next race is cross country so I don't think it is PB potential !

Lisa
31/05/2011 at 22:17
55:14 this evening.... moving in the right direction!
31/05/2011 at 22:23
Excellent Paul
31/05/2011 at 22:29
Thanks hare, was hard work but not uncomfortable so definite room for shaving time off.....
21 to 40 of 139 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.