10k in 50 minutes thread

Anyone else aiming for this at the moment?

81 to 100 of 139 messages
20/06/2011 at 10:53

I haven't posted in this thread before, but have been following it with interest, because having recently acheived my first sub 25 min 5k, I'm looking at a sub 50 min 10k as my next taget.

It's not going to be easy, though. I've recently been getting close to 52 mins, and then on Saturday I was back to 54+ (for the same route!).

I know it's stating the obvious, but to achieve this target, I'm going to have to average 5 min kilometers, and I find it very hard to get indivual kms down to 5 mins over the course of a 10k run.

Well done to all those who have done it. It's going to take me a little while longer, so keep the thread going, chaps!!!

20/06/2011 at 12:00

Ok - so trying to bring some organisation and structure to the thread to help people see there goals and how far they are away.  Pls let me know if his is a bit presumptuous or if you don't want to be included on the table.  Hopefully i've recorded all correctly and not missed anyone out.  Please let me know if it is wrong. 

EDIT - can't cut and paste the table very well! Any idea's?

Edited: 20/06/2011 at 12:25
20/06/2011 at 12:00
yuck - anyone know how to insert excel table properly??
20/06/2011 at 12:21

oops - whats happened to the layout?

Good thinking though JR

20/06/2011 at 12:37

I would be wary of doing 10k trials every week, I did that last year and didn't improve my time at all. The idea for training is to make sure you are fit enough to do the next session.

In his Training for the Right Distance thread Moraghan suggests the following structure:

For 10k, 28 miles:

Long:  8m easy
Q1:  2m easy + 2m quality + 0.5m easy
Q2:  2m easy + 3m quality + 0.5m easy
Easy:  6m
Easy: 4m

The long 8mile run easy will be getting you used to running 10k distance and above.

As I've been mainly traing for a half marathon my Q1 and Q2 sessions have been 8miles long with 3mile easy, 3mile Quality at HMP and 2mile warm down. This has really improved my half marathon approach.

20/06/2011 at 12:39

Cheers Jamierunner.  Good luck everyone.

And I agree with TimR, Sandy.  You need to get out of the mindset of racing all your training... pick a target race and train towards that you want to peak at that time.  I rarely got anywhere near that race pace in training for the full 10k.

Edited: 20/06/2011 at 12:43
20/06/2011 at 13:42
TimR - that thread is a really good read - some very good advice on there
20/06/2011 at 13:56

Wow, that's really interesting stuff - thanks!

I'm relatively new to running (about 3 years now), and I do it for several reasons, one of which is that I enjoy it. I just really love getting out there on my own, and having some "me" time.

So I've never really been all that motivated by improving my times. However, I had assumed that by running 10k regualrly, my time would keep improving (to a point, of course!). It has worked to an extent, as I've improved from around 58 mins to a pb of just over 52, but it would seem that, if I just carry on doing what I'm doing, I've probably plateaued.

The advice here seems to be that if I really did want to get to a sub 50 min 10k, I'm going to have to vary my training routine.

It's worth thinking about, of course, but I love doing what I'm doing. Anyway, if I get bored and I'm looking for another running challenge, I'll know where to start looking.

Cheers all!

20/06/2011 at 14:56

Sandy, that's fine.

Your body will just be adapting to what you are doing. So running 3 lots of 10k every week at a certain pace will mean that you get very good at running 10k at that pace. The improvements you have seen are just your body adapting to that. It's not easy to just up the pace for the whole 10k.

If you're happy with the 10k route you run then maybe run every other mile at a slightly faster pace, going back to the initial pace for the next mile, or just pick up the pace for the middle 2-3 miles.

However if you are racing a 10k, ideally you should be doing at least one long run a week of 12k. So that you are not getting to the maximum distance that you run at the end of a race when you need that little bit extra.

20/06/2011 at 15:24

Cheers, Tim. Might well give that a go.

Also, is it worth trying to incorporate fartleks within a 10k run?

22/06/2011 at 09:05

I have just been looking at the mcmillan running website which gives you an idea of the pace we should been running our different types of runs to achieve a 50 min 10k.  There is a link in the training for the right distance thread but here it is again if you want to have a look.

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm 

22/06/2011 at 09:31
Would anyone object if I join in - Returned to running after a 12 year break mainly to lose weight at the doctors instruction and seem to have got hooked again.I did a 50 minute 5 mile race in March 2 months after my return and was slightly disappointed - but was recovering from a cold so perhaps that explained how I felt.  Am now targeting the Southend 10k in October which is flat and then the Wix 5 miles near Harwich. Am currently running everyday although during week time is limited to around 35 minutes with an hour on Sunday - recovery run Saturday. My goal for the 10K is going to be mid 50's whilst the 5 mile around 44 - Am intending to follow a 12 week intermediate 10K I have downloaded from the Garmin website which seems to rely heavily on threshold running which is fine so if it is alright with everyone I will pop in from time to time.   
22/06/2011 at 10:15

Crikey, Deva!

According to that, I've got to do my 5k runs at  just over 24 mins to be on course for a sub 50 min 10k.

I'm way short of that! 

22/06/2011 at 10:35

Me too Sandy my best 5k time is just over 26 mins - but I guess it makes some sense.  I know I run 5k at a faster min per mile pace than a 10k.  My next 10k is not until September so in the meantime I am going to aim to get under 25 mins for 5k asap and do more intervals and speedwork etc to get used to running at 5 min kilometre splits or below.  

Hello Grendel - this is not a very fast moving thread as people just tend to pop in with updates on their progress etc etc.

22/06/2011 at 11:52

Morning Guys - never did work out how to put a table in here properly.  if anyone knows let me know and I'll record everyone's current time and how far they are away. 

Tried to run a 5k in 25 last night but had to stop after 4k in 19:59.  So i was on target but clearly couldn't deal with the pace.  Also went out too quickly as did the first K in 4:37.  Was sooo much harder than doing the 10k in 57!

Going to try and do a very slow 12k tonight to build up my endurance, will be the longest i have run. 

22/06/2011 at 13:41

Personally I know that there a few things I need to get right with Form before I even look at tying to force myself to run faster.

Cadence - I'm pretty much there with that one.

Knees up on hills - needs work and I keep forgetting to do it.

Heels up on the back foot so that the lever effect of pulling your leg through is reduced. - lots o work to do on this one. Once I've sussed it my stride length will increase. I can run at 6:30/Mile when I get this right but it's quite hard work.

Not bouncing - Keeping the hips level. - Again I've pretty much got that sussed.

Swing arms backwards and forwards, not side to side and not twisting upper body. - Sussed.

Head - horizontal looking into the distance, not at the ground. - OK until I start to tire.

Breathing - from the diaphragm and with relaxed chest and shoulders - Needs work. From the start of the run - I'm too tense. 

I need to come up with some way to remember all this when I run until it becomes automatic.

22/06/2011 at 13:43
Don't worry Deva Duck - I'm not a very fast moving runner
22/06/2011 at 13:52

Quite fast moving today though

Never really thought about running style Tim - has it made a difference?

22/06/2011 at 17:30

I would also like to join this thread if that is ok. Am trying to break 50 mins in 10k and have managed 53 in the past, but not off a huge amount of training. Going to to have another crack next week probably, but ultimately aiming for a sub 1:50 half (managed 1:58 so far)

Was just wondering if anyone on here has tried the 1.5 mile fitness test (or 2.4k - 6 laps of the track) and what their times were. I managed 10:52 which predicts that I should be able to break 50 mins already, but I was absolutely putting maximum effort into that, I just dont think I can sutain that level of pain/discomfort for 50 mins! My race times seem to be almost the same as my training runs which is obviously no good, but cant seem to try any harder in races. Anyone else have this problem?

23/06/2011 at 14:01
Deva Duck wrote (see)

Quite fast moving today though

Never really thought about running style Tim - has it made a difference?

Running with efficient style or form makes a huge difference in how much effort you waste.

Eg. If you are bouncing up and down vertically you are wasting energy pushing you up that could be used pushing you farwards.

81 to 100 of 139 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.