What is a good time?

21 to 27 of 27 messages
02/09/2012 at 08:23

hi , iam 36 years old female , iam 5 5 , i weight 135 pounds , i just started running 3 month ago , and it feels just wonderful , i strugle with breath , i breath from my mouth , , any tips of how to change that, i just did my first 5 k ,  finished in 27 mintues , i will do my first 10 k in 3 month , how to build speed  , as speed is my weakness , i still can not run the whold distance , and walk in between , as i losse breath , thanks ,  i t so great to be here with runners like you

19/11/2012 at 13:43

Hi Amany

The best way to increase speed is hill work, as you climb up you have too work harder which is the equivilant to running faster on the flat.  Try and incorporate a route that has at least a medium hill in it also try shortening you walking distance slowly and gradually increase the running.

With regard to breathing, i breath through my mouth while running and its isn't a problem for me.  My advise would be to regulate it, i breath out on every second strike of my left foot and slowly breath in during the rest, it works for me.

With regard to speed, take it at your own pace, the only person you should be competing against is yourself.

I ran the brighton Half Marathon this year in 2 Hours 6 minutes, feb 2012, which i was delighted with.  Unfortunatley 2 weeks later i broke my tibia plateau and collar bone in a freak running accident. I have a metal plate in my knee with 9 screws and also a plate and screws in my collar bone.  Yesterday i ran the beddington park 10K in 62 mins, which although a lot slower than i used too run for me was a personal achievement.

Don't get caught up with what you think you should be able to do it in and just enjoy it.  Running is supposed to be fun!!

19/11/2012 at 15:30

dear paul , 

i can not thank you enough for you encouraging and inspiring  comment.  i highly treasure advice from experts likeyourself and i will incorporate more hill workout, as for the breathing i got improved a lot since i wrote this post.iam terribly sorry about your accident ,  but your determination is really inspiring , you are back on track and running this is just amazing ,  it is people like you who inspire me every day , i think  being  hero is not about saving the world , it is about being able to keep moving no matter what  obstacles you face , i think running  brings the best of people , i sign up for my half marathon next april , iam so exicted thanks a million for your wonderful feedback HAPPY RUNNING 

the only person you should be competing against is yourself. you made my day

19/11/2012 at 15:33

paul any adivce on shin splints?? 

19/11/2012 at 20:40

Hi Amany

Unfortunatley i only had them once, right at the begining of jogging, i just carried to jog through them and they went away, although i did only jog 3 times a week.

Make sure you dont overdo it, your legs need to recuperate between runs.

good luck with the training

20/11/2012 at 22:29

Hi amany, am a newbie here myself and the only time I have shin pain is when I've been running downhill too quickly for my current stamina. I found that by slowing down the pain eased but not sure that would help everybody sorry. I can now run a fair bit faster before the pain starts again so slow it down again.

20/11/2012 at 22:56

andi thanks dear , i found a link of how to strengthen you chins iam starting doing these exercises ,

calf rasises, toe walking , heel walking and toe  tapping 

, thanks again HAPPY RUNNING ALL

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 27 of 27 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.