12 Minute Mile.....

21 to 40 of 83 messages
Farnie    pirate
02/07/2008 at 13:22

ask the guy at work about using a heart rate monitor and HRM training, he can bore the socks off you for an hour or so....

If you were to use a HRM you'd probably go even slower at first.  So just beep every now and then and look at your watch! LOL......

Edited: 02/07/2008 at 13:22
02/07/2008 at 13:32

I join the rest of the crowd by congratulating you on your achievement. This is the begining and after 5 weeks, so, an added well done.

I am very much surprised to hear that some people were criticsing your speed. True runners respect other runners and at one point in time we were all beginners and many ran the mile much slower than 12 minutes.

Keep up the training and the good spirit.

best wishes

02/07/2008 at 13:42

Yes Run @ 50

How right you are !!

but, you know what some people are like

02/07/2008 at 13:49

i feel compelled to add my experience from last night on my first club run. never been to a running club before always run on my own.   I rang the club first and mentioned that I was running ten miles but was very slow so felt I wasn't up to proper club runs and was interested in the beginners (this is a really speedy club)

the woman on the phone said no, you're  not a beginner come along to the club run and we'll look after you

and she was true to her word, I was at the back and struggling but managing, (I always start off slow as it takes me a while to sorrt out my breathing).  anyway some very *supportive* female member opf the club felt it necessary to run back and inform me that there is a beginners group you know.

the lady I was running with pointed out that as I'd run 10 miles at the weekend I was hardly a beginner. Now I know I'm massively under trained and I knew the pace would be beyond me so I didnt' take the comment to heart although i was annoyed by it as it wasn't very welcoming or supportive to a new member and could easily ahve put someone off.  As it was although the pace was over 1.5 minute mile pace faster than I run at, I did manage it and I wasn't that far behind in teh end, even overtook some runners up the heeeeeeeeeuge hill, so i was chuffed to bits. but still, it did spoil the feel of the evening for me.  everyone else was really supportive and congratulated me and said I'd done well so that made me feel better.

just think established runners do need to be a bit more sympathetic and supportive rather than jumping in and making comments like that.

02/07/2008 at 13:51
just to point out, even at the back of the pack the pace was 9.5 minute miles, so there is always someone out there who is quick to put you down. 9.5 minute mile pace to me is way off a beginners pace.
02/07/2008 at 14:05

Ginger Loon

all i can say is yes -  you are right

they themselves were slower or beginners or what ever once, it's now thier turn to show patience and passs on experience etc down to others who are seeking fitness and a healthier lifestyle

as am i when i'm out running ( mainly with Phillip ) but i trot along with people helping and hopefully teaching them the right way - gradually does it i say

it really annoys me - though my wording of things isn't always fantastic  - a club should be there for the Elite 5 min milers - to those taking their first steps -

as is RW here to lend support to all - we all have our own ideas on things - but some of us have been at thing a LOT longer that others 

i've just in the middle of going back to my club - after 19 years - through nursing my philip - and i'm fully prepared to help the newbies, then occasionally go off on a serious run with thew seniors really working at the mileage

02/07/2008 at 15:22
I want a nick name!

Just to add my support, I've managed to get a few people off their backsides starting off with the 1 minute run 2 minute walk programme, and nobody's bothered how quick we go just keep going, everybody is elated the first time they break that running for half an hour without stopping barrier. Particularly when it's the little 3 miler we do near my house which ends on uphill.

Mind you I've not managed to get any of the others doing races yet - but I may have persuaded a couple to to the Abbey Dash in November, I hope they do then I don't have to do all my loner runs on my own.
02/07/2008 at 19:25
Speedy Julie
02/07/2008 at 20:37
Thought of one! based on the fact my sad kids think it's hilarious that my initials spell JAM and I loooooooooooooove strawberries!
02/07/2008 at 20:40

Just need a picture now, I think I'll search the internet for cute strawberries.

ps. trying to get my forum message number up, so I look like I'm really helpful, to try and get on the Great North Run super six!

02/07/2008 at 20:43
ooh cool name
02/07/2008 at 21:17

Ginger loon

i read your post with interest about going to a club

hence the reason i wrore my thread about Clubs !!

Have u seen it ?

02/07/2008 at 21:21
steam coming out of ears

I was a 12 mm for YEARS

and i bloody ran marathons

its FINE darling
02/07/2008 at 21:34
Darling

is that for me ????
02/07/2008 at 22:14

howdy  mick, put PH down you don't know where she's been LOL

I have to say, in defence of the club, they were great, it was just one offhand comment by one member that upset me a bit.  she may not even have realised the potential impact of what she said, but I have seen your thread and you make some good points, on both sides

I did feel a bit embarrassed that I was there and beyond my capabilities, but it turned out that I managed fine once I was in my *zone*.

but as has already been said, we all have to start somewhere and someone will always be last and the slowest of a group and no one should be made to feel silly because of it, although if they really are out of their depth then it shuld be diplomatically and encouragingly pointed out and definitely not in a way that would make that person feel belittled

anyway, back on track, I remember when I started running my running coach congratulated me, she said many many people struggle to even reach 12 minute mile pace when they start out. so there you go

02/07/2008 at 23:00

hey i agree with everything everyone has said, be v.proud of yourself that you are getting out there and running...and i dont think i know anyone who can walk a 12 minute mile!

somebody at my club once said to me that they had an elite marathon running athleteas a guest at an event and he pointed out that he runs a marathon as fast as he can, but is only on his feet for 2h+...slower runners run as fast as they can but are running for 5, 6h! he couldnt imagine being on his feet for that length of time!

02/07/2008 at 23:31

I agree with the comments. After a couple of years running I finally plucked up courage and went to the local club. I spoke to them and explained I wanted to have a go and see if I was good enough. Apparently I was which made my week as I had literally spent months plucking up courage to go. However, after about 6 weeks I went along and this man refused to run with me and said 'no, she's one of yours' to another member it was sooooooo embarassing it was like being back to the last one picked for the team. After fighting back the tears and being rescued by some kindly soul who insisted he would run with me. We ran well caught up the nasty man, we went about 1/2 mile shorter but got back before them.

So I am now back to training alone. Wimp, I know but as I started to run to gain confidence I am not able to go and face the hassle. I am not a fast runner but run between 9.5 min miles to 10.5.

I think a good club is a real find but unfortunately there don't seem to be many round here.

IT is good to hear positive comments from experienced runners and the support given on these forum is great. Anyway gone from never posting to saying too much.

02/07/2008 at 23:48

Agree with everyone

I am not an experienced runner

I did my first 10k 2 weeks ago - 13.12mm - and that was in a race

I am slow

Sometimes I am last

Sometimes I am nearly last

I said I would never race.....then PH said on a thread that I wasnt too crap to go to a race - kinda made me start to rethink things.  PH and a couple of other forumites convinced me to do a 5k in march.  That was my first race.  The 10k 2 weeks ago was my 10th.

I am learning to manage to ignore the people who insist on telling me how rubbish I am - slowly

Dubai Dave    pirate
03/07/2008 at 06:39

12 minute miles are fine, its the getting out there which is important.

With regard to the club issue, in my club we don't give any group the tag of "beginers", we simply have fast / moderate / slow groups. Being Dubai and hot we stop for water every 3K or so in the summer so the faster groups jog back and pick up the slow group. Works fine. We also make sure there is always one experienced runner right at the back just in case.

No one should be frightened to join a club or enter a race, running is an all inclusive sport. Over the years I have had people just starting out say "your quicK' then 6 -12 months later they hurtle past me in a race. We have a lady in the club who two years ago swore she wouldn't ever break 2hrs 30 mins for the half marathon, this year she ran 1-55. As she says it  was the running with better runners that made her speed up, thats what clubs do. I'm always runing with better faster runners for exactly the same reason it makes you quicker.

Power to you all whatever speed your running at

Flr
03/07/2008 at 07:04
nice post Dave
21 to 40 of 83 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.