5 weeks on

6 messages
24/08/2009 at 08:58

Hi everyone - 5 weeks ago I decided to try my hand at running and I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying it and how much I have improved.

Could only run for 5 minutes on the first attempt so then I found this site and decided to do it properly! On Sunday I ran 10k in 1 hr 8 which was better then I expected. I'm now a bit stumped as the best way to continue. I would like to be able to run faster 5 and 10ks and at some point in the future do a 10k trail run.

Should I stick at running 30 minutes  2 or 3 times a week with a longer run at the weekend and eventually build in some speed work/ hills? Is it worth me building up my distance, not sure if this will help me to be faster? I'm guessing if I eventually want to run off road I need to increase my muscle power

By the way I'm 45 but have a fairly good level of basic fitness

Thanks for any tips

Angie

24/08/2009 at 09:02

If you want to get your 10k and 5k times down, search out a 10k training schedule and use that, a good one should cover all bases, easy runs, long runs and some tempo / speed work, and training for a longer distance should get your 5k time down too.

Well done on the progress BTW .

seren nos yn canu    pirate
24/08/2009 at 09:36

I agree with Danowat find a 10k schedule that fits in with your lifestyle and then have a go and enter another race

good luck and enjoy

24/08/2009 at 12:29
Thanks for the advice - I will start a 10k training programme after my holiday and hopefully get my time under an hour
26/08/2009 at 13:26
Good luck with reducing your times!  I only started a few months ago, and that is one of my goals now.
Gyraffe    pirate
26/08/2009 at 16:27

Angie -  Congratulations on your progress to date - that sounds really positive and it's great that you're enjoying it so much.  

A good way to progress from here might be to seek out a local running club to join. They are normally happy for you to run with them for a few weeks before deciding whether or not you want to join. Once you're part of a group there will be no end to the organised runs, races and social events you can get involved in.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.