7 full weeks...

4 messages
13/08/2012 at 00:03

until I attempt a half marathon. 

Currently longest run has been 5k - 31 minutes. 

Simple questions, is it going to be possible? I'm half pessimistic, half optimistic. 

13/08/2012 at 10:25

I think you're pushing it.  If you were to increase your longest run of 3 miles by 1 mile per week, you'd still only build upto 9 miles, if you increased your long run by 1 mile per week, prior to your half marathon.

Week 1 - 4 miles

Week 2 - 5 miles

Week 3 - 6 miles

Week 4 - 7 miles

Week 5 - 8 miles

Week 6 - 9 miles

Hal Higdon training programs are good:

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program

This is a 12 week one that you could be capable of completing.  I'd just delay your half and find a later one that fits in with the Hal Higdon training program.

It may save a lot of aches and injuries?

13/08/2012 at 11:43

You can do it, you won't break any records, but I guess that's not what it's about.  Maybe try to stretch the runs a bit further at the end 6 then 7.5 then 9 and then a 10.5? if that's possible, then just go for it on the day.  Just don't start to fast and relax and enjoy it.

13/08/2012 at 15:55

How often in the week are you running, and how far are any other runs? Are you doing any other exercise (e.g. swimming)?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.