A new 10k in under 60 mins thread?

They're all too fast in the other thread!

201 to 220 of 16,077 messages
25/08/2008 at 10:08

Hi all,

Would love to join the 'timed10k' with you all, but am doing the GNR on the 5th October - please don't worry about changing the day, I'm not sure I'll be too good before/afterI'm having a gloomy because my running is not going well at all! Have barely managed 3 runs this week because of sore leg muscles and now am having dizzy spells!! I'm joining Susie po - though I haven't got the excuse of working a night shift, which must be very difficult indeed.

Plod - I did 8.5 miles in the same time as you did just over 9! I really need to get moving

25/08/2008 at 11:34

I know how you feel. Went to bed last night and couldn't sleep. Was still awake at 4 got up at 7.30 to attempt long run.

Only managed 30 mins and my legs stopped. That is 5 in a row bad runs. I am now seriously losing confidence and dreading my runs.

I know I shouldn't have gone this morning but just wanted it done. Really not enjoying myself. not sure if I should try another hour later feel like everything I do will be failure at the moment.

I wouldn't worry so much but have 2 weeks holidays coming then only 5 weeks to my half.

And a week of nights before the half. i am not sure if it is mental or physical part both I think.

25/08/2008 at 12:18

hi all.

susie po - that sounds rough, but is probably becoming psychological now as much as physical. though the nights can't be helping either.

my legs were dead after 3 miles yesterday. so, so close to stopping (especially as my route took me right back past my front door at the 3 mile point) and after that every single half mile was this mental battle of bribing myself and forcing myself and trying not to think about making the run a long one - just half a mile at a time and bringing the pace waaaay back plus i had prob 3 short walk breaks plus a stop at an ice cream van to buy water. but it was a huge battle from the off and one of my least enjoyable runs ever - despite being the longest to date.

try not to put that pressure on yourself when you set off, take it easy and give yourself short goals all the way through.

does anyone know anything about 'recovery' runs. seems like an oxymoron to me but just wondered if my poor battered legs would benefit from a gentle trot in the park or if they would be happier propped up in front of E4 with a cup of tea...

25/08/2008 at 12:28

Can I join in?

I've got my first running race on 14th September. An "undulating" 10K on forest tracks, mostly. I think the furthest I've run so far is about 9K, so I need to make sure I do a few good runs over the next couple of weeks.

I'd like to break the hour, and I think I'd have a chance if it was a flat road race, but I expect I'll be slightly over that on this terrain. Still, it should give me a nice slow beatable PB for future races.

25/08/2008 at 12:44

Just to say to you all - hoping it will inspire you

we ( me pushing Phil in his wheelchair ) have just done in the space of 8 days

Wednesday 6 August - Tough hilly and wet 10k in 59 mins - followed by Saturday 9 August  a Hillish HM 3 days later in 2.05

followed by Wednesday 13 August a 10k flatish with some small inclines in 49 spot on

i'd like to crack our pb of 46.30, but now i'm turned 50 and Phil's top heavy and 20 this week, i don't see it happening

but for ALL of you - yes go for it !! 

25/08/2008 at 14:16

Plod, I believe a recovery run is a short run at LSR pace.  Currently my schedule is:

Tues: Recovery run, 2 miles at 11:20 pace
Thurs: Tempo run, 3 miles at 10:00 pace or intervals
Sat: Long run, 7 miles at 11:20 pace

I am useless at pacing, and more often than not I run faster than I'm supposed to

25/08/2008 at 17:28

Mick - you were right, that did inspire me. If you can do it that fast pushing a wheelchair, there has to be hope for me

25/08/2008 at 17:29

Welcome yersinia, Good luck with the undulating that term always makes me feel nervous.

Micknphil, you make me feel ashamed of my rough week. I will try to think  of you next time I go out. and dig a bit deeper.

Thanks plod all good advice and I would be saying the same to you but just struggling at the mo having said that it is only last Sat I had my best run 9.24 in 90 mins so I have to focus on that it's not like I have lost it in a week.

i know its probably the 7 night shifts and have had an ear infection but don't want to go down the rd of making excuses.

Bola we will wait for you for the run maybe it will be better some time in November when we are all wishing the good weather back and struggling to get out in the cold.

I won't give up I am not lacking motivation.

25/08/2008 at 19:07

Hi all,

A little disappointed with my time for the 10k I ran today, about 1 hr 7 min, that's 2 min slower than last years time. Still waiting for my official time to be posted.

5Th Oct. OK with me for our 10k time trial.

25/08/2008 at 19:16

Eyeore 

Don't be too down over it it was warm today. Be pleased you finished it. I would have given anything to have been able to run 10k today.

There are so many differences in the courses weather etc that it is difficult to compare each race.

well done for getting out there.

25/08/2008 at 19:19

i just wrote a whole post but somehow lost it and really can't be bothered to re do the whole lot...

so will instead just say hello to Mick and welcome to Yersinia .

25/08/2008 at 19:25

Hiya Mick

Can I put my head in?  Done 2 10ks - first in 1.33, second 1.12

There is work to do

25/08/2008 at 19:30

Thanks susie,it was quite a hilly course.

My next 10k is on the 7th Sept., The Bupa Great Yorkshire Run in Sheffield, hope to be a bit closer to an hour then.

25/08/2008 at 19:47

Eyeore,Exactly those hills are a killer.

Barking big improvement!

25/08/2008 at 21:02

Susiepo - would it be worth just giving yourself some shorter runs just to build your confidence again - or maybe something drastic like a three day rest free of anything build your health back up......  I know we all go through it - just stick with it.  It is easy for me to say as at the moment im on a high - but when i am low and you are on a high please say the same to me.

Bola zudd - it is always gonna be difficult finding a day we can all do - but if its a success we may be doing many more time trials! (and hey you got bigger and better things to be concentrating on - hope to see you on the tele).

Welcome Yersinia - are you up for the 5th october time trial challenge......???  a second goal after your first race of 14th Sept????

micknphil - i am ashamed of my moans and groans and easy excuses - you are an inspiration.

Barking - thats an amazing jump - way to go.

I also hate hills - grrrr!

I have only been away for a day - so many posts - good to see us all fired up though. x

25/08/2008 at 21:19

Thanks beanie Not sure what exactly I should do at the moment but will try something like you  suggest  and get back to basics.

I may decide to go out for a few days on my bike to vary things. Wont do anything tomorrow as already 3/4 through a bottle of wine.

25/08/2008 at 21:46

Hi all and thanks for the welcomes!

I may be up for 5th October, but not sure. My mum's bday is the day before and I don't know what partying duties there will be.

At the moment, I just need to make sure the distance is in my legs. I might try to do the full 10K for the first time tomorrow in suitably undulating parkland - but with no focus on speed.

If that is ok, I would like to work a wee bit on speed in the next week or two. I have no real concept of how hard i can go out in a race. 

25/08/2008 at 22:34

Eeyore - that's the time I'm aiming for in my race next Sunday (last 10k was 1:12:22 - July 20th). Hills are EVIL though.

Susie - a few days off could help. I've had phases when running has just felt hard work and I've felt crap after each one. A 3 day rest break has usually sorted it out. The nights are probably messing with your training. A few days off to rest and recover could be a good thing maybe.

Yersinia - Forgot to say welcome before. I've found doing one session of fartlek a week has helped my speed and endurance. It's really tiring, but it's my favourite running session of the week. The experts always say to get the distance first and then worry about the speed.

I didn't run today, but I'm out tomorrow. Not going to to train overly hard this week as I've got a race on sunday. Two blokes from work are running it too, and we've got a bet on over who's going to win. I've trained the hardest, but I'm aware that they're tall blokes with longer legs than me. I'm quietly confident though.

25/08/2008 at 23:04

You show them Lisa-Marie get plenty of rest and enjoy the race.

Thanks for your words I know your right about the rest I was pushing too hard because of holidays coming 6th to 20th sept.

I have emailed a local running club tonight about attending a beginners session and got a very welcome email to attend a couple of sessions try before joining so I am going to do that. Seemed very friendly.

I never would have dreamt of joing a running club before.

it will vary things for me.

26/08/2008 at 12:55

i'm still sceptocal about joining a running club. partly because i can't find any that are terribly convenient for me and partly because a big chunk of the appeal of running to me is the tuning out of the world with my music and head space. wouldn't want to have to make small talk with strangers.

saying that - i may change my mind when the evenings are dark and running around the park on my own in the evening is no longer an option. 

201 to 220 of 16,077 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.