A new 10k in under 60 mins thread?

They're all too fast in the other thread!

241 to 260 of 16,079 messages
26/08/2008 at 22:41

Beanie

yeh, i know - but also yes, i very much appreicite your kindness

you feel free to tell me what you like

26/08/2008 at 22:43

Beanie

i might be a hardened experienced runner - but i'm also a deep family man

27/08/2008 at 00:15

@micknphil - Sure sounds like you love your running.

I'm not so driven, but still enjoying the fact that I can run - albeit rather slowly - after years of assuming I couldn't, or would find it unpleasant or painful. I'm not wanting to do any mega-distances - I don't want to commit to a heavy training program - but I'd like to get a 10K under my belt.

@Kaybee - Not that 10K. Mine is this one, near Farnham in Surrey.

27/08/2008 at 08:08
Ooh that looks proper scenic!  Enjoy!
27/08/2008 at 10:27

Yersinia

it's what you want it to be - there's NO shame in that

my training used to be extensively heavy years ago - but now-a-days i'm just ticking over, just living and racing off the interest if you like

it's years of knowledge,  

27/08/2008 at 19:46

Hi all,

My official time for the 10k I did on Monday is 1 hr 7 min 44 sec. 349th out of 385 finishers. Lots of people finishing around the 1 hr mark.

Had a good run last night with the running club I belong to, did 7K in about 50 min. this was with stops and walking breaks so we all stay together.

28/08/2008 at 10:23

Well, I ran 10K for the first time ever yesterday. In a hilly park on  mixed terrain (lots of stones, gravel, tree roots, grass, brambles, stingers etc).

My Garmin says 10.58km in 1:13:57, with 1005m ascent and 1019m descent, but I'm sure it lies about the ascent / descent. 

Anyway - I think I can conclude that I'll be fine on race day, but very slow.

28/08/2008 at 17:58

Well done Yersinia.  Its a great feeling to conquer a distance for the first time, even if it is slowly

I'm not doing so well, come down with a cold so had to cancel my session this morning.  Hoping I will recover in time for my long run on Saturday, although I might knock a couple of miles off it.

28/08/2008 at 20:52

Did my second ever 10k tonight (I was supposed to be joining the local running club but found out at the last minute that they weren't meeting tonight so thought I'd challenge myself) and took a minute off my time (admittedly my first one was on a relatively hot day, though tonight was pretty muggy too). 

So I clocked in at 1 hour, 1 minute and 22 seconds.  I reckon that on a cool day with maybe a light drizzle, I could challenge the 1 hour mark, but not sure as I didn't feel particularly slow today at any point (except when a bloke of around 50 absolutely whizzed past me early on the run - he must have been doing a 6 minute mile pace (or so it seemed to me the plodder).

So I think that I need to work on my stamina so that I can get my speed up for a longer time.

28/08/2008 at 20:59

Josie

i think it's fantastic news - so very well done

28/08/2008 at 21:04
Coming from you, that makes me well chuffed
28/08/2008 at 21:16

Well done  Josie looks like we will be getting rid of you soon when you break that 60 minute mark.

So close as you say in the autumn you will get under 60 easily. The running club is a good idea and they do some speed work.

Well done again.

Also well done to Yersinia its great to get the distance under your belt.

28/08/2008 at 21:31

Josey

i'm so glad it does make u feel chuffed

i only wish when i started out i had the support that's available now

this is why ( to my mind )  us seasoned experienced runners ( or what ever you want to call us  ) should now be helping all of you

it's NOT always easy on the forums typing things, i peeved a newish runner the other day, they told me so, ( i apologised ) cos i'd written something, but i knew what i was trying to write, but for a third party reading it who was NEW to running , it did'nt read right

but experience told me, leave it go, they'll find out for themselves-

many new runners, who are coming along are doing well, but they still have a long way to go and a lot to learn

it's difficult i know, i've been there myself - but i also get satisfaction from reading posts from likes of your good self,

does this post make sence ???  

28/08/2008 at 21:40

It's nice to do well, and have a good run,

i still read lots of posts on threads of experienced runners to see what they are doing , all of which has to be built up by hours and weeks and months and years of stamina training - none of which comes easy or cheap as we put it

i have no concerns though when i read what they are doing, As some of them are preparing for same events as us - some are getting in far more training than us -  and i know what i can go out and do and what i cannot, waiting for that next HM or FM,  

i supppose reading their exploits though in a way - just like reading all of yours, keeps my mind active -

things come to mind, so i type, then my mind drifts again so i stop as now !!

28/08/2008 at 21:49

Have a ( 3 lap ) 5 miler on tomorrow night if we can get there

planning on doing ( hopefully ) 2 or 3 miles, before hand, if so it'll be Mick n phil's 2nd run this week, and my third

but we'll see, i'm nice and relaxed, just waiting for it all to happen,

you keep at it ALL of you

29/08/2008 at 01:07
Mick, I think we are ALL in awe of you, and what you and Phil have achieved.  I'd heard about you thru the grapevine and when I saw you pair start off at the Leicester marathon last year I had a lump in my throat. Thanks for all the support you give us newbies!  Hope to see you again this year x
29/08/2008 at 13:37

Hello Kaybee

thanks for your kindness - it's all a huge learning curve -

we've actually got a 5 miler tonight in Coventry - it's a 3 lapper - we may just go do a bit first - and relax and have fun  

29/08/2008 at 14:14
Just found this thread and it was great to read through. I have only been running since March/April and had a slow build up from a 0.6mile lap to where I am now with my longest run at 6.3miles on Sunday. I run 3 times a week now, did the RFL 5k in June in 35min (not very accurate timing available) and I am due to run my first 10k in Blackpool on 6th Sept. I am really excited and know that I can do the distance in around 1hr 5mins but in my mind I really hope that race day will push me harder on what is promissed to be a flatish course. I actually founds a thread for this 10k and was pleased to find most people posting  were 1hr + runners so I won't look dumb plodding. It is too late for me now ,but I have been told that running faster for 30 sec spurts during a longer run can improve speed any advice out there? Wish me luck for next Sat and I will let you know my time.....hope I don't mess up and do badly.
29/08/2008 at 14:30

Welcome Debbie

I only recently did my first 10k on the 10th August so no expert. My priority was finishing without walking. I passed a lot of people who went out too fast.

my advice would be not to be too hung up on the time yet and pace yourself. It is easy to get caught up and go off too fast.

good luck.

P.S all

I ran 5 miles in 49 mins last night so the run with the club got my confidence going again and it helped me push on even when I felt like giving up.

29/08/2008 at 14:37

My belief to this day is

still going off to fast

getting too excited - pre race nerves, oh, a little is ok, but too much can mess things up

running with pure physchcological self control and u win - in my opinion

241 to 260 of 16,079 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.