A new 10k in under 60 mins thread?

They're all too fast in the other thread!

261 to 280 of 16,079 messages
29/08/2008 at 14:37

sorry yes -

Welcome Debbie

29/08/2008 at 14:45

Hello all and welcome Debbie. I also did a RFL in June - mine was about 36mins.

Haven't really had time to post this week been frantic. Have managed to squeeze in 2 treadmill sessions though and am really pushing the speed. At one point the tready was set at 12kph! (but only for about a minute admittedly...) 

Have decided to not run the Nike 10k this Sunday for the following reasons:

1) i just want to run - i don't want to be forced to sit in the stadium till goodness knows what time on my own getting cold but they won't let you in the stadium after 6 and the run starts a long time after that - especially the last wave.

2) the sheer size of it means i'll never get under the hour and have a small race the following week which i have high hopes for

So, yes I wasted 30 quid but i'm convincing myself have only wasted a tenner as the t shirt must be worth at least twenty.

Just booked a holiday to Corsica (v excited!!) - and am having visions of myself running along the shore at sunset but is far more likely that i'll be too busy sampling the local wine...

29/08/2008 at 15:42
Run along the shore at sunset towards a friendly-looking bar!
29/08/2008 at 16:46

Plodmonster - I recently went to Spain, took running shoes (and bra of course!) with good intentions. Tried to run a couple of Km in the evening but the heat was still overcoming (it had been mid 30s all hol) tried morning run started before 8am and that was better, did 5k. I couldn't manage any more am runs cos of the kids. I would recomend you start with short runs and go slow...the heat is really hard on us beginners.

After posting I decided to go for a run did 4.3miles in 44.29 which is 10.22 miles. I think I can do this 10k in 1hr 5min or less, with no jogging on the spot to wait to cross the road etc I take to advice on not pushing out too fast, maybe if I try to do just under 11min for the first mile then push on from there, I woun't burn out but I will be nicely warmed up to pull back.

I might sign up for another 10k soon so that I don't stress too much on the time for this.

Thanks for the welcome all 

29/08/2008 at 19:42

I am going to bring my trainers to california I am sure they will enjoy the journey because I just know in my heart that I probably won't get to run as going with non running friends who think i am mad.

29/08/2008 at 21:58

Hi all

Debbie - Blackpool is my first 10k too!  Have no idea of the course - about 15 years since I was last in Blackpool.  Am thinking be good to be beside the sea.. and sounds reasonably flat?!

Did 5 miles tonight in 56 minutes but 7 miles the other day took 90! Will just be glad to finish and have a target for next time!!

I didnt take my trainers on hols and did find that I missed running..but then probably wouldnt have gone if had taken them either!!  At home running is time out!! -ran home from work today for first time- perfect destress!!

30/08/2008 at 00:02

plod - I'm doing the nike 10k and when I signed up I didn't realise about the whole hanging around thing. I was NOT pleased! I do like the t-shirt though. I'm not going to attempt to go sub-60 with this one - I'll settle for beating the 2 guys I'm running with. (One is so arrogant, I HAVE to beat him. He seems to think he'll do sub 55 having done no training). What race are you doing the week after? I have one the week after too. Just a 5k though.

30/08/2008 at 00:30

Go Lisa-Marie!  Is it wrong to want to beat people who've annoyed you with arrogance, or whatever? I did a RfL 5k and this woman barged past me (we were WELL at the back - barely in front of walkers) - knocking me and running partner sideways - saying she "HAD" to get through and I just said to my running partner "Right, THAT'S  the person we're going to finish in front of". And, we did.

Can anyone give me some running etiquette pointers? Or as a plodder should I just shrug it off and get my head down?

30/08/2008 at 11:21

CatherineP - Blackpool hasn't changed in 15 years I am sure. I believe the run covers the area where the illuminations are. Check out the thread attatched to the event on this site you will find lots of ploders like us. See you there.

Susie po - take the trainers, you never know! The guy at my running shop, club runner etc himself, thinks that people who take the p*** out of us for running are jealous. Not that we are elite athelites or anything but that we can and they can't. My husband said he doesn't understand but that I am a changed woman since starting runnning and I should keep doing it.

Kaybee - I recon that we should try to beat ourselves when we are running, it is the only truely fair competition. However I have to say that if someone barged past me like that I would be very tempted.... 

30/08/2008 at 12:21

Lisa Marie - my 10k next week is in south London - Clapham Common. I think it's quite a serious and fast race and there is every possibility that i'll come last but so long as i beat my last 10k time i don't really mind. Plus it might help spur me on a bit... I'm looking forward to hearing if you can beat the arrogant guy! 

Did sit ups yesterday for about the first time in 5 years and now I am HURTING. Nothing like booking a holiday to motivate you into getting a flat(er) tummy  .

30/08/2008 at 14:31

Kaybee - I'm no expert on running etiquette having not done too many races, but I try to be polite when I need to pass people - barging is just rude. I either try to run round people, or if there's a group of people walking and I can't get round, I just call out excuse me and they'll mostly let me though. I'd have had to beat the barging woman too.

I'll let you all know if I beat the arrogant guy. It's a good motivator to try and speed up

Plod - I HATE sit ups. I looked at the Clapham Common race, but went for a 5k instead. Two 10k races in 2 weeks seemed a bit scary!

30/08/2008 at 16:22

Good luck to all of you racing this weekend. 

Its only my nose that's running this weekend   Hope to recover enough to get a couple of training sessions in before my holiday.  Still debating whether to take my trainers with me.  My partner says I can, but I'm not sure if I will use them.  We will be doing plenty of walking though.

30/08/2008 at 16:31

Think my partner would have a fit if i took the trainers on holiday. I might try and smuggle them though - or alternatively could further extend the running along the shore at sunset fantasy by doing it in bare feet...

Yes - good luck everyone racing and report back as soon as you can!

30/08/2008 at 18:46

Welcome Debbie - sorry i am little behind the times!

I glad i jumped on the internet tonight - off on holiday on Tuesday and wasnt going to take my running gear - but you spurred me on and i am gonna take it - i will have to wait and see whether i do it when i am there but hey at least i cant use the excuse that i havent got my gear!

Good luck Lisa-marie - i am with you 100%.

Went running on Thursday with the club and had an absolute awful time - gutted as last run with the club before holiday and i wanted it to be a good un - so a little dented.  I honestly think someone had swapped my legs for a non-runner!

hey i won a nike+ sportband but i have no idea what it does - oh well i will have a look later!

30/08/2008 at 19:06

Hi all,

Had a bad run today, planned to do 10 miles but only managed 6 ! Legs very tired, I just got slower and slower.

Anybody racing tomorrow ?

30/08/2008 at 20:11

eeyore - it must be the week for bad runs......just dont get it!!!!

30/08/2008 at 20:16

Eeyore

it happens to us all - just chill out and move on to another day - then go out gently expecting nothing and see what happens

30/08/2008 at 21:15

Hi all Especially eyeore and beanie

Remember me last week  My pain couldn't run 3 miles was so down. Joined a running club on Tuesday went well.

Have just got back from my longest run which was 10 miles. Feel great as had ran just over 9 a couple of times and wasn't sure i could get to 10.

It was probably the motivation from you lot that kept me going today. So don't be down last week i was blowing up after 2 miles dreading going out.  Good luck with anyone racing this week.

And happy holidays.

30/08/2008 at 21:22
Hi Pooooo
30/08/2008 at 21:24

Hi to you to how are you doing?

261 to 280 of 16,079 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.