A new 10k in under 60 mins thread?

They're all too fast in the other thread!

321 to 340 of 16,079 messages
01/09/2008 at 20:48

Hey all,

Sorry I haven't posted for a while, but have had a very busy week! Glad to see the threads going well.

I ran the 10k yesterday too! Lisa-Marie is right, it was VEEERRRRYYYY wet as we stood on Wembley pitch ready to run. Great atmosphere though and so many runners....

I felt really good and was pleased with my run - I actually felt like I was going faster and thought 'ooh, that speed work is paying off'! However, crossed the line in 1hr 7mins so was bit disappointed - although the course was very busy, extremely twisty and hilly too (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it). Loved the race itself though and am really looking forward to the GNR in 5 weeks.

Happy running all xx

01/09/2008 at 21:42

Yersinia - Swim!! Cycle (Ouch!) and then run!....I need to lie down just thinking of it. I will stick with the distant goal of running a Marathon before I am 40. Probably just 1. Then enjoying running and racing shorter distances for as long as I am physically able. I really fancy running abroad, not city marathons but 10k etc in France, Italy in the future. Am I being a bit dreamy still having not run the first 10k race?

I wanted to run tonight but I am running tues and Thurs with friend I am doing the 10k with and I don't want to over do it. Is that the right way to go or will more training be better for Saturday? Also any pre race eating, drinking tips....pasta I am so excited..do you all think I am daft asking these things. 

01/09/2008 at 21:53

Debbie -

If you're doing 10k on Saturday, don't overdo it with the training this week. Tuesday and Thursday will definitely be enough. You're not at all daft - don't worry. I ask zillions of questions around these forums - that's what they're here for

01/09/2008 at 22:06
Thanks Lisa - Marie. Just loving this whole running thing at the moment.
01/09/2008 at 22:27

Y'see, a marathon sounds out of the question ouchable to me, whereas a sprint or even an Olympic tri (if you were properly trained) - well, you're not doing any action repeatedly for long enough for it to hurt (of course it's different for the Ironman mentalists). 

And  I think I would find marathon training boring - I don't really want to run for much more than an hour, whereas cycling's different - I can cycle to a pub or point of interest, and then on to somewhere else, and eventually back, and happily do 4 or 5 hours at a lowish intensity, barely breaking sweat, and carrying everything I might need.

01/09/2008 at 23:26

Hello all,

Today a girl from work who I don't know asked me if i did the nike run last night. She was absolutely convinced it was me - i seem to have a running doppleganger out there...

No running today after Sunday's exertions but did a spin class at lunch. This week's schedule has no place for a long run so am aiming for short and fast again:

Tuesday: 4k at 60min 10k pace (5k if I can keep it up...)

Thursday: same again

Friday: spin class

Sunday: 10k race 

It's nuts how much exercise is part of my life now. i've always been one of the anti excercise, skiving off PE types - but gosh if i go 2 days without now my anxiety levels rise and that just makes me miserable.

Debbie - I don't know the proper way of doing things food wise pre race but I happily spend a couple of days beforehand mainlining pasta and risotto. Also important to start hydrating properly for a few days beforehand and not just race day itself. Though saying that it can lead to a very interrupted night's sleep with all the loo trips... 

01/09/2008 at 23:30
P.S. nice to see you here again Bola and well done on the soggy run!
01/09/2008 at 23:50

I ran my first 10k race yesterday, the Nike+ Human race and got a dissapointing 1:09.07.

Ok, for my first go, and being 3 stone overweight, I guess it's not the end of the world. My target was under the hour, as I had done a few 5k's with my mate around the streets and was hitting 27 mins. Hmm. 

My pace got quicker throught the race, but 7-8k killed me, this whole running thing is mind games. At the end I had enough energy to sprint the last 50 metres, and virtually skip home knowing I had completed it. My legs hurt now though, a lot!

I'm gonna run a few 5ks soon, and get back to the gym in a few days once my legs stop hurting, once i burn off some weight it should become easier, i hope!

02/09/2008 at 00:00

Well done on completing your first 10K, Stuart!

Something to build on, and I should think it's hard to get a fast time at such a big event. 

I'm  sure weight loss should help with speed, so the hour may not be so far away.

02/09/2008 at 00:04

Hi Stuart - I read somewhere once that for every pound you lose you gain 2 secs faster per mile meaning per stone it's around half a minute faster per mile. No idea if that's remotely true though.

Congrats on your 10k - don't be disappointed on the time it's fantastic for your first one.

02/09/2008 at 00:29
Lots of addictive calculators on the runningforfitness site, including this weightloss/ speed one. Dunno how reliable they are, though.
Edited: 02/09/2008 at 00:31
02/09/2008 at 12:11
I ran my first 10k on sunday the Nike+Human race , was aiming to get under the elusive hour mark but posted 1:02:18 which i was still quite pleased with . did not spend enough time training on the road , too much running on the treadmill , will make sure i dont make that mistake again !
02/09/2008 at 12:32
Well done Stuart and Mike.  You've both got PBs!!!
02/09/2008 at 17:46
Yes well done guys they are great 10k times. I hope I can do as well on Sat. This is like weight Watchers for runners. I must do well as I will need to confess my time to you all. Very motivating I think.
02/09/2008 at 20:30

Good luck to anyone racing this week I am on holiday from the 6th so will miss all the news.

Went to my second session with the running club tonight and think it will really suit me can go out with them twice a week.

It will be nice with the dark evenings to run with company.

02/09/2008 at 20:41

Evening all,

Tried to see if i could run 5k today in 30 mins but could only keep the pace for 3.5k and had to walk for a bit then jog slow so 5k took 34 mins in the end (including all the stopping at roads etc). Meh. Annoying. Is v frustrating as 4 weeks into my running (am now 4 months in) i did a 5k race in 30.11. I really have no idea how. i do remember that it was extraordinarily hard. maybe i just don't try hard enough.

I ran following a group of girls for a bit this evening who I thought might be part of a running club but was too shy to ask them  . Think I will def need to follow your lead susie po when it gets darker.

02/09/2008 at 20:56

Plod

I would recommend it. I never would have considered it before my slump but it is the best thing I did.

Really friendly and all different abilities, I think it is great that the better runners give up their time for an hour to run with us trying to improve.

When you get better there are different nights you can go they do hills, speed or long runs.

Also some meet up at the weekend for long runs if you are interested.

We ran 3.5 miles today but I didn't carry my watch and it seemed to go very quickly.  It is just something different which keeps it interesting.

Also it will motivate me out of the house when the weather it bad.

Can't believe I was complaining about the heat just last week!

02/09/2008 at 21:07

Hello everyone

so, how's all the 10k's stuff going then !

02/09/2008 at 21:09

Welcome Stuart and Mike. Stuart - don't be disappointed with your time.  Now you have a starting point to work on and as the weight drops so will your time.

Anyway, although my scales variously say over the past few days that I've changed weight over the last couple of weeks somewhere between +1 lbs or -4 lbs, I ran 4 miles today in a new personal best of 36 mins 59 secs.  My previous best was 38:10 so I was pretty shocked when I looked at my watch at the end.  I knew I felt good but didn't realise it was that good!

If only I can keep that pace going for another 2 1/4 miles, I'd end up at (goes to find a calculator) under 58 minutes by my reckoning

I think the fact that the last couple of runs I've done have been around 6 miles / 10k that's enabled me to go faster on my shorter run.  So maybe I should start running 8 miles and then I'll be really speedy for 10k?  I'm not sure it works like that, but I'll maybe try and up my long run to 7 miles this weekend as a starter.

02/09/2008 at 21:32

I was thinking pasta Plodmonster. Even bought running socks today. How sad am I.....

Josie - I definately run faster on the shorter having extended long run to 10k. Can only keep my pace for about 3 miles but hoping race day will improve that. I track all my running on Mapmyrun.com. That way I get an average speed per run. That is steadily improving. I am not as fast as you, just 31.33 on the last 3 miler a while ago. Once I get this weekend done I might go out and go for it on a 3 miler see what I am made of.

321 to 340 of 16,079 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.