A new 10k in under 60 mins thread?

They're all too fast in the other thread!

21 to 40 of 16,035 messages
09/08/2008 at 15:27
Julia - I'm going to the Atlas mountains for two weeks so a bit hotter.  I love the lake district though - used to go alot as a kid.
09/08/2008 at 15:36

Julia T : Lake District next week, me too !

Staying just outside Keswick, near Whinlatter forest.

09/08/2008 at 16:36

Hi all,

Can i squeeze in too? I've been trying to get under the hour in my 10ks for ages!!! I'm down to 1hr and just over 1min (It seems to be impossible to get rid of that last minute - in my last race I was nearly coughing up a lung and going at all out pace in the last km and those 60seconds still caught up with me!!)

I'm doing the Nike 10k too, but agree that theres not much chance of a good race time - sounds exciting though!

09/08/2008 at 17:07
Bola - that must be so frustrating being so close to the hour! Hopefully next time. The Nike 10k one sounds like good fun even if it's not a great one for a PB. I'm running with a couple of guys from work, so my goal for this race is to beat them. (Shouldn't be too hard - one of them keeps skipping his training runs in favour of the pub, and I don't think he can do 3 miles yet!)
09/08/2008 at 19:56
Can I join in too?  I'm still building up to my first 10k - I did just over 8k the other day in 51:46 so I'm on target for just over an hour and 3 minutes when I do 10k so I'll have to try and work down from there.
09/08/2008 at 20:23
Welcome Josie
09/08/2008 at 20:53

Lisa-Marie - Very frustrating!! I don't think my body is built for speed!

Anyone got any ideas for getting faster? Have tried speeding up generally across a run and also doing 'fartek' training (randomly changing speeds during a run - is that right??? Look at me trying to sound all professional ). Was thinking of trying some short sprints once a week just to get my body used to moving quicker?? Also think I should probably lose a few pounds, but that doesn't sound as much fun.

09/08/2008 at 21:09

hi can I join in too. 

Am quite new to running and have managed a 1hr 7mins and then 1hr 3mins so going in the right direction.  I need to lose at least 1.5 stones and hopefully will improve. 

I am doing a 5 mile next week so I should get at least one result under the hour even if it is cheating a little m-m hopefully will inspire me to try harder at the next 10k - nothing booked until 7th september.

At moment my main goal is to enjoy each race and hopefully improve my speed each time 

09/08/2008 at 21:21

I am very new to running also and trying to build up distance and it seems that your speed seems to go up sort of unknown to you.

I am getting faster but it is happening slowly. Not sure that makes sense but hopefully you know what I mean.

09/08/2008 at 22:02

Bola - I just branched out into fartlek too... I dunno if it's impacted much on speed but when I'm running longer distances at a plodding pace, it feels less hard work, so I presume it's doing something good! I really enjoy it though - Tuesday fartlek sessions are my favourites!

The advice I've always been given is to build up the distance first and worry about speed later.

09/08/2008 at 22:29
Can I join too? I haven't actually done a 10k yet - the furthest I've managed is 7k (in 45 minutes) and I have my first 10k in September - thinking I'll do it in about 1 hr 15 (I'm slow). Going to try and run 5 miles tomorrow.......
09/08/2008 at 22:37
Kate Speed wrote (see)
I have my first 10k in September - thinking I'll do it in about 1 hr 15 (I'm slow).

1hr 15 ain't slow, it's all relative, your 'slow' is someone else's fast!
Plus, it'll be your PB

10/08/2008 at 10:48

Julia T, Susie B and Eyeore - good luck today and make sure to let us know how your races went!

I did an 8 mile sloooooow run yesterday. Only second time I''ve done that distance and much easier this time round - last time i was actually whimpering out loud in the last mile. Felt all like a proper runner as it was pouring down and was first time i'd gone for a run in the rain! Looked like a right plonker though as the only cap i could find is ridiculous - ah well, it kept the rain off  my face.   

Off on a 2 mile plod this evening then will do another couple of short runs in the week before 10k race on saturday.

10/08/2008 at 12:00

Good luck to everyone racing today!

Well done on the 8 miles plodmonster - I like running in the rain. I start feeling a bit smug and like a real runner

10/08/2008 at 13:35

Hi completed my first 10k today

Was nervous as all the runners looked serious.

However I did it in approx 61 mins my watch said 61.16 but in my excitement at crossing the line forgot to stop it.

The official result will be posted on line later so it should be around the 61 min mark.

The best i have done in practice is 62.26 so can't complain. I was to too worried about going too fast and not finishing.

I did pass some who had done just that.

Wasn't last but wasn't far off but still feel good. 

10/08/2008 at 15:15
Well done Susie! 61 minutes is a fantastic time - and since it's your first race, it's a PB too 
10/08/2008 at 16:21

WELL DONE Susie! 61 minutes is fantastic - especially for a first time! I feel so sorry for those people who go out too quickly and get knackered right at the end - I've done that! You get sucked into the race atmosphere and trying to keep up with others because you think you'll end up last (which actually isn't the worst thing in the world is it???).

I'm going to have a go at a good "speed" session tomorrow. Think I'll try a short warm up, then some 20second sprints mixed with slow jogging. Does that sound sensible? 20secs is actually a long time isn't it?! Perhaps i should try 10seconds!

10/08/2008 at 16:44

Eeyore we're staying in Ambleside. Trying to find possible runs in guide books, flat and circular but too many mountains maybe.............! I may start a 'any good runs in the lakes' thread. Bound to be locals who know quiet out of the way spots.

WELL DONE Susie, who cares about coming last anyway. (Me probably!)

My race was 5k today, beat my PB by over 5 mins and did 33.51 YIPPPPPEEEEE Ronnie O'sullivan also raced and according to Mr T finished 3rd. Feel proud to have raced against him and also very touched that he would support a local charity (Little Havens Childrens Childrens Hospice) and run round a local park with 250 odd people (well, we weren't all odd).

No chance at sub 1 hour 10k at present but I did pick up some leaflets with local races later in the year.........

At the club I have joined they do a timed mile once a month to get an idea of how you're improving. Just a thought

10/08/2008 at 18:11
Well done Susie b and Julia T!
10/08/2008 at 18:18
Go Julia T! That's a great time - 5 minutes of your PB must feel amazing!
21 to 40 of 16,035 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.