A new 10k in under 60 mins thread?

They're all too fast in the other thread!

14,601 to 14,620 of 16,079 messages
13/09/2012 at 22:31

Happy Anniversary Samantha - enjoy wine and steak!

Louise, in that case definitely an extra rest day or two. You won't be the only person taking walk breaks - I haven't run many races but have watched/marshalled loads and loads and I have never yet seen a race where a good size chunk of the field didn't take walks.

My 10k on 23rd is in Essex (just) so definitely not the same one - maybe it was someone else, I had a look back but can't remember.

Graham, be glad it wasn't a variation on three of the same digit  and good luck. Will look forward to the race report.

ShiYa, have you tried your foot yet?

Andi, hope you enjoyed the lie in. After 17 hours you deserved it!

Thanks all for the tea and sympathy. Car is now fixed for a modest fee (thank goodness) and despite a late finish at work tonight I did go out for a run. I didn't really want to and procrastinated a bit; didn't go out until 8 but ran 2.6 miles in a very slow manner - just could not go faster, legs point blank refused.

It's done though and as I've said before, I never ever regret going out for a run, even if that state of mind doesn't set in until after I'm back!

HM4
14/09/2012 at 06:47

Graham,

Don't worry about that. Organisers have all sorts of wonderful ways of allocating numbers.  My race no was 2 for one which I entered really early.

-----------

Good luck with everyone's races over the weekend.

14/09/2012 at 08:28

Louise - Pilates will probably hurt to start with, but in a good way

Samantha - build a strong base now and start the plan 12 weeks before the race - you don't want to pick too soon

Graham - Good luck for Sunday and never say you cant do something...

Carpathius - Whoop whoop for car and you being back on the roads

Went for a run yesterday. A tiny one. Super slow one. The people I normally casually overtake overtook me with ease. Probably around the 2 miles. My toe was hurting the whole way and by the time I got home it was all swollen and I couldn't walk on it. It is ok this morning though...

I dont think it healed right

14/09/2012 at 17:00

Back home from work conference/training and lots of posts to read  Managed a short 2 miler one night as with work colleague who doesn't regularly run. Then the following night did a 5 mile run, which was more satisfactory.

HM4 very impressed with lovely shiny medal, sorry that the getting of it was tough though!

Louise pilates is fab for core strength, I do 2 classes a week and it compliments my running really well (especially as I am rubbish at stretching after runs!)

Samantha I agree with Shiya, stick to developing your running base, and then choose a plan that suits you around Xmas time. I am running Brighton HM in Feb and that is pretty much what I am going to do.

Graham good luck for Sunday - you will exceed your expectations.

ShiYa really sorry to hear about your toe and the effects of your run. Sending positive vibes your way  

Parkruning tomorrow.

14/09/2012 at 17:27

Race number allocation is very random. I once had 48 and my friend 47 and her friend 72 - but they registered together at the same time and I registered about two days later.

I also saw lots of numbers over 1000 at a race with only about 400 in it!

ShiYa, I'm so sorry about your toe   I would go and have it looked at again, there'll be something they can do.

I'm also parkrunning tomorrow, really looking forward to it - never done one before

Good luck to Graham and anyone else racing this weekend - looks like it'll be good weather for it!

14/09/2012 at 18:03

ah sorry Carpathias, I have looked back and it is Chappers that thought we were doignthe same race Good luck in parkrun tomorro!

Shiya - at least it didnt hurt the next day which is surely good. Perhaps you just did a bit much too soon - hope all gets better soon.

No running for me today, shin stillsore although hamstring seems better - willsave it for Sunday longrun now I think

Graham good luck, look forward to hearing about it !

14/09/2012 at 19:10

Oooh, sounds like lots of races and parkruns are happening at the weekend so good luck to all of you and looking forward to the reviews

To our gang on the bench (and limping off it) remember to take things easy!

Didn't go out for a jog yesterday as the wind was gusting and nipped to the shops to stock up on beer and fags only to find the whole high street was closed due to a power cut and Ferries were also stopped due to the high winds! No post today as the Ferries didn't run again

Did 5 miles today and tried to jog an extra 10 metres up the hills and make my walk breaks a little shorter and faster and whilst I think I did quite well was actually 4 secs/k slower than Tuesday - but guess I can call that being steady lol.

Louise, still gonna be up for the 8 mile run then? I'll be at the mercy of the wind I think.

14/09/2012 at 20:25
Evening all hope these injuries are all starting to get better for you all? Louise and Shiya?
Wanted a short run tonight before going to watch the rugby and ospreys (wish i hadnt bothered by look of score half time! ) hubby went on his bike instead!! Grrrrr never mind I'll take a ride to beach in morning and practice a nice flat 4 or 5 miler on the prom ( please don't rain!!!!! )
Out for yet more food tommorow night celebrating??!! My 40th. Week till Swansea 10k heavy belly if I carry on like that.
14/09/2012 at 20:36

Hi all, thanks for all your nice good wishes. I've got to spend the next two days without a drop of alcohol. Boo Hoo. Looking forward to it though.

There is a youtube video of the 2010 faversham 10k which I watched. Couldn't believe the guy who did the video held the cam in his hand and still returned a 42 min 10k.

Here's the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lpmmlMJBEA

Andi, last week I had two really bad runs and thought I could never get it back. Such a shame you can't have consant run times.

Good luck to you all this weekend and enjoy the sunshine!!!!

14/09/2012 at 22:17

Txs Graham, tis the hills that do it to me lol. Hey, you getting a free massage after the race??

14/09/2012 at 22:20

To be honest probably not as I didn't see anyone getting one. There was some pretty fast times of people so it will be nice to get a good time.

HM4
15/09/2012 at 07:57

Graham,

You get days like that sometimes.

15/09/2012 at 12:07
Goog luck to all those racing this weekend look forward to reading all your reports.
I had bad night up and down with girls last night but determined to go out for a decent run this morning so drove down coast and managed a lovely 5 miler happy with that and no wind for a change down there so felt great. Back home by 9am ready for the day (and my pig out curry and vino tonight )

Enjoy weekend all
15/09/2012 at 12:11

Oh curry and a drink. I really fancy that tonight but I can't.

Why can't races be on Saturdays?

15/09/2012 at 13:16
Lol I know Graham it's cruel! I'll be in your boat next Saturday as got Swansea 10k next Sunday so tonight will be my last tipple till after that one.
Good luck tomoz
15/09/2012 at 15:19

Parkran this morning, perfect weather conditions and another PB for me 27 mins 34 sec, not quite sure how I managed to knock 1.5 mins off my last one a couple of weeks ago , and towards the end I felt that I was struggling quite a bit (I blame the killer vertical hill)  but very pleased with the time.

Andi hills are a killer, I attempt to glide up effortlessly repeating a manta that hill running is fun, however the mantra and my efforts do not appear to help!

Samantha I am having a curry and wine night tonight as well (sorry Graham ), but I also have a 10k trail race next Sunday so will have to be good next weekend!

HM4
15/09/2012 at 15:46

Lisa,

Well done.

15/09/2012 at 19:41

Well done Lisa. Great run.

I hope you enjoy your curries tonight. I am on the home straight now. Just had my big plate of pasta and have sunk down lots of water too.

I am looking forward to it now so will report back tomorrow around 1pm which is when I sink down my first vodka and coke. LOL!

15/09/2012 at 20:43

Sounds like the perfect start to your day Samantha - I was still asleep when you did your run.

Well done with your pb Lisa Isn't another name for a vertical hill a cliff?

Hope you sleep well tonight Graham and have a good run tomorrow - looking forward to your review.

Gave up on cutting the grass when the rain came so got changed and went out for my 14k jog/walk! A new distance record for me and managed it in 1:47:19 so not too bad as I was aiming at 1:45. Average HR was 71% so almost got it down to the 70% and recovery zone I'd like to be in. Garmin says the total ascent was 411m.

15/09/2012 at 23:58
Blimey Andi far play! puts my flat 5 mile beach run into perspective lol x
14,601 to 14,620 of 16,079 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.