A new 10k in under 60 mins thread?

They're all too fast in the other thread!

14,821 to 14,840 of 16,039 messages
29/09/2012 at 12:08

Jeez, turn my back for half a day and you guys have written a book!

Sam, that sounds like my kind of run, must remember to take money for alcohol in future

Louise, not sure I'll make my 10 miler today as had a fight with half a bottle of single malt last night and it appears I lost

Well done for all your runs and remember, we can't always get a PB.

29/09/2012 at 12:21

Andi its not always our running we loose out to mate. It does happen with drink sometimes for sure. I will have that problem tonight especially with not drinking a drop since last weekend.

HM4
29/09/2012 at 12:50

Pete,

It stands for long slow run.

(((Daveo))),

Hope you get back running quickly.

Lisa,

Well done.  Which is your nearest parkrun?

Andi,

Get out there.  The fresh air will do you good.

29/09/2012 at 20:11

Wounded soldier today

Tried my Camelbak Rogue out today and other than tasting of drinking out of a hot water bottle it was fine and hardly noticed I was carrying 2 litres of water. Went the 'scenic' route and this was a mistook as apart from being v hilly most of the 6k track was a bog so ended up walking plenty of the 10 miles so it took 2hrs 5 mins 1300 feet of elevation is hard nomatter how nice the scenery is.

My hips were aching a bit so was glad to get back BUT when I took my jacket off my lovely yellow t-shirt was stained with blood over my right nipple! I guess the Camelback was chaffing it and am now in absolute agony (and suppose I can sympathise with a Mother that breast feeds). Runners nipple cures anybody?

Louise, hope your 10 miler fares better for you

HM4
29/09/2012 at 20:17

Andi,

Well done on the run.  Not got a cure however a lot of people recommend Bodyglide as a prevention - not sure how much it is however some vaseline would do the job.

29/09/2012 at 20:57

OMG Andi, your runs are always eventful. Hope your nipple recovers soon Am intrepid about lsr tomorro,will let you know how it goes, will go out first thing.

welldone all you parkrunners, and Daveo excellant news,hope you get back out soon.

30/09/2012 at 12:01

Andi - ouch that sounds sore. Hope it recovers quickly

HM4 nearest parkrun is Tilgate, very picturesque but 1 gradual incline that seems to go on forever, and one definite vertical challenge which zapps up energy levels with every step.

Hope all the LSR's planned for today have gone well especially the 10 milers!

I have only done a 6.24 mile today, as am in desperate need of new trainers and I have now had a blood blister form under my big toe so quite a painful run, but run in 63 mins which felt nice and easy (apart from aforementioned pain under right foot!)

I currently wear saucony progrid omni 9, I tried an update (omni 10) in my local running shop the other day but they felt quite clunky.  Unfortunately I tried on 3 other pairs in similar shoe types (mild stability), asics, mizuno and brooks and none felt right. So am now in dire need of trainers and not sure which to go for. Apparently the wear on my current trainers show that these are the right style so why did the new pair feel so clunky   maybe I am just too fussy. Any advice?

HM4
30/09/2012 at 13:07

Lisa,

It's horrible when that happens, unfortunately the manufacturers tend to make little tweaks with each version.  Can you stock up from an online source?

30/09/2012 at 13:29

sorry to hear about foot Lisa, sounds painful.

Did 17.5 km lsr today in 1 hour 53 mins 25 secs. But I ran a new roooute to amke it a bit more  interesting and boy was it a mistake - uphill all the way out, Andi 1692 feet of elevation - and  boy did I suffer Im sure  it was good for me though, and  mde up time on the way home as downhill all the way.

Sore left knee, I had trouble with it when I started running, hope its goign to be ok. I will take it easy this week I think and use cross trainer instead. I will be gutted if gets worse and have to withdraw from HM.

Hope everyone has good day and runs

HM4
30/09/2012 at 13:37

Louise,

Well done.  Perhaps it was all the downhill running which got to your knee.  Try some more flatter routes and hopefully you'll avoid the cross trainer and withdrawing from the HM.

30/09/2012 at 14:19

Well done Louise that is some running. I wanted to get out today but I didn't get to bed unitl 4.15am this morning. I had my aunt over for a few drinks and it turned into a long one. I got up at 7.30am after not being able to sleep.

Now feeling really tired.

Good idea to take it easy with that knee.

30/09/2012 at 14:20

Txs ladies, my 'wound' is still sore today and may skip the planned 5k so looks like the September total will be 140k I may reduce the mileage a little in October and try to run further without walkbreaks but keep the lsr at 10+ miles.

Looks like everybody is finding hills this weekend Louise, thats some incline, I find downhill as hard or harder than the climbs.

Lisa, I agree with HM4 and if you like your current shoes you can often find them online at decent prices.

HM4
30/09/2012 at 14:26

4.97 miles done in just over 55 min today.

30/09/2012 at 14:35
Zero miles for me today lol!!! Lattes and chocolate twists for breakfast instead down costa Monday is a new day stry at new health club tommorow so no excuse.... Well not too many

Well done everyone who has been out this weekend
30/09/2012 at 18:45

Ah, thanks HM4 - Long slow run, now I know... well done on your time ! Andi.. can your runs be err.. uneventful ? Do hope you recover soon - sounds painful.

Lisa.. ran part of Petts Wood 10K but got lost from road into woods - took wrong turn can you believe ? (Err - Yes!) So ran the leg between 3 and 4.5 miles - once up, once down and it's undulating here and there - some climbs but nothing too hard and some really nice gentle descents. Woods are very nice - easier than road. Carried on quite a bit on the roads afterwards - better than getting the bus home. Feet hurt a bit (no, a lot!) but my son is doing dinner shortly.. a real treat! Do PW if you can.. it will be a great morning and money goes to Harris Hospicecare AND there is a cake stall at the finish plus burger van, I think. I'm looking forward to the cakes ! See you there ?

30/09/2012 at 19:32

Whoops ! Forgot to say "Hi" to Sam, Louise and Graham, WTK, Dave, Chrissie, Chappers and Carpathius.. (OMG - hope I have not forgotten anyone else - ) "Veteran" and memory don't go together..

30/09/2012 at 20:08

Graham thanks for the race preview, will have another look at it now.

I have just emailed another running club this evening in the hope of finding an inclusive one, fingers crossed that the response is better then first time round!

30/09/2012 at 21:43

Andi, and Chrissie, the addition of some peanut butter to that smoothie makes it even more high energy,  tastes good too

Sam, I tried searching for the Stourbridge stagger on here but it wasn't listed. will look out for it locally.

Chrissie, see you at Brum on the 21st? I'm running for cure leukaemia. send me a PM if you want to meet up we can  maybe arrange it.

Andi, ouch, yes..... bodyglide, but if that isn't readily available in Mull, there are more commonly available water based lubricants, or vaseline, but covering them up is probably the best plan until healed.  surely the other half of that whisky bottle will help

hello to everyone else, you are all quite fast  (Graham and Carpathius I am talking to you..)

Daveo good luck with the orthotics, I am (according to one private chiropodist who offered me costly 'custom' but chunky and intolerable orthotics) lucky I can walk my flat feet are so bad, but the cheery NHS pod who ordered my cheap as chips 'cobra' orthotics said they work fine, and I have run two half marathons on them (£14 a pair) with no problems.  be careful, with orthotics it is not always paying the most that gets the best.

Louise, my knees have been troublesome in the past, and often hurt a bit after a hard hilly run. (legacy of flat feet over many many years..see above.) They are better when my legs are stronger, maybe some weight work to strengthen the legs generally would help, as well as running muscles, as they all work to support the knee.  If you dont have a gym membership or access this one can be done at home:  standing on a stair or step, on one leg, and bending that leg letting the other go below the level of the step, then back up again, slowly..... a few repetitions each side daily. it works for stability and leg strength.

My plan called for a 13 miler this weekend, I managed 12.5 (approx) over undulating roads and paths yesterday. now my legs feel not so much like lead (implies a degree of bendability) as like concrete, concrete with nerve endings, all hurting. It was the same route I went the day I got lost only this time I did run all the way. managed to make the water last, it was a lovely day but now I look more like a creaky old woman when I get out of a chair than an athlete at the peak of their fitness. walking is slow and hurts. I know I need to stretch more but I'm wondering if a sports massage would help.. anyone got any experience of such a thing?

30/09/2012 at 23:51

hello everyone and thank you for yur support and advice.

HM4 I defintiely intend to avoid hills for a while. I will stay flat for next lsr even if I have to run twice round a loop.

Andi - my incline was gradual and just went on and on and on... a right killer. I will never run that route again, in fact I told hubby to lock me in a room if i even mentioned it again as a possibility...

WTK thankyou, I have a gym membership so perhaps I should use it. Im not keen on doing weights but if it will help is worth a go. Well done on run, I smiled when I read your description (creaky old..), thats exactly how I feel.

Am ensconced in bed at a holiday inn as working away this week, cant say its unpleasant

HM4
01/10/2012 at 09:19

Kate,

Well done.

Louise,

Hope you manage to get some runs in while you're away.

14,821 to 14,840 of 16,039 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.