A new 10k in under 60 mins thread?

They're all too fast in the other thread!

14,841 to 14,860 of 16,077 messages
01/10/2012 at 11:15

Hi All - some good running going on this weekend. Well done everyone.

I managed 13.12 miles on Saturday in 2.05.38 - Well pleased, that's same as my half marathon PB so hoping for a good time in Brum on 21st..... Knees are a little tender but feeling really chuffed.

Louise - weights definitely help. I have started doing 2 strength sessions a week since I got injured in March and my running has definitely improved. Worth a shot.

Have a good week everyone.

01/10/2012 at 11:38

Great running ChrissieT. Well done indeed.

01/10/2012 at 17:01

Yes brilliant Chrissie, and thanks yes I will definitely start doing some weights.

HM4 - I will have some running time, just hope the soreness goes down in time to use it!

01/10/2012 at 18:19

Hi guys,

a little late but here's the race report for the Baxter's River ness 10K appologies for the length, hope you all enjoy it

Baxters River Ness 10K Race Report

Unusually I was awakened at 5am on the Morning of the event, and no matter how much I tried, I couldn’t get back to sleep, so I got up and made myself some porridge and a nice cuppa and settled down to watch some football highlights on Sky. A fellow Jog Scottie called on me at 8:30, it was a lovely morning the sun was out and there was very little wind, the walk up to the start was good, if not a little on the long side, it gave us a chance to discuss race strategies and our goals, Martin was hoping for a sub 45 and not to go over 50 minutes, I however am not as speedy and would take a sub 55 for gold, sub 58 for silver and a sub 60 for bronze. 3 miles and 45 minutes later we arrived at the start raring to go unfortunately there was over an hour to wait, so we look out for some fellow Jog Scotties and passed the time away chatting and trying to keep the nerves at bay, with a little over 30 minutes to the gun a few of us went for a little run to stretch the legs and get the heart pumping, once we got back it was time to line up and get ready for the big off.

The Race

Mile1

10:45 sharp, and we’re off! The plan was to take the first couple of miles easy and build up the pace once on the Dorres Road, so turning left onto Cudethel Road we climbed the only real hill on the course 600 yards later we turn right into a brisk breeze on the the southern distributor road running towards Essich Road. There was plenty of competitors overtaking me in the first mile and I was getting a little concerned but I was running at what felt like a steady pace so just kept going, and before I new it the Garmin beeped to inform me the first mile was done, and I was surprised to see the lap time off 8:46, which was probably more than a minute quicker than I was expecting.

Mile 2

Turning right onto Torbrek Road the road narrowed considerable and could cause a bit of a bottleneck, but it wasn’t an issue, there was more than enough space to overtake, and I have to be honest and say that I was the one mainly being overtook, it was getting quite warm now and was glad of the shade from the trees unfortunately the breeze was non-existent here. Another mile done and this time I managed to reign in the pace, 9:01

Mile 3

Another right turn and now we were following the same route the Marathon runners would be travelling along in a couple of hours time. This was probably the quickest part of the course, descending down into the outskirts of the city, by now I was feeling hot, and was looking forward to throwing some water down the back of my neck. Another quick mile 8:41

Mile 4

Going through the 5K marker in 27:11, that would have been a 4 minute PB if it was a 5K I was running. I was now settling down into a rhythm, albeit a little slower than the previous mile running past Holm Mains, along Dorres Road toward the Islands, now we were seeing a lot more supporters out along the route, which does give you a lift, I was now starting to enjoy it trying to soak up as much of the atmosphere as possible, almost forgot it was a race, mile 4 completed in 9:11.

Edited: 01/10/2012 at 18:20
01/10/2012 at 18:22

Mile 5

Now we were going past the Islands and we could here the commentary and music at the finish on the other side of the river, by now the elite runners should be about finished. Now I was starting to feel the earlier pace, but I tried to ignore it and plod on, I could now see the 25 mile marker along the road so I new it wasn’t too far now, the crowds were amazing as we approach the city centre and I probably wasted a fair amount of energy thanking people for there support. 5 miles down only one a bit to go 9:09.

Mile 6

The centre of Inverness was fast approaching, turning left onto the bridge and now I could feel the stiff breeze, isn’t it amazing how it feels like the wind picks up when you turn into it. Now we were running along Ness Walk down past the Cathedral, the crowds were getting bigger and louder, what a buzz! Once again I was probably getting a little carried away, passing on my thanks the watch beeped for the final time telling me six miles are now completed only 0.2 more to go, slowest mile of the race clocking in at 9:21

The final Stretch

With only a few hundred yards to go, I tried to increase the pace, but there wasn’t much left in the tank, I seen my family waiting fairly close to the finish, only the youngest seen me, as I waved as I passed them by, the finish was in sight crossing the line, arms raised, with the clock on 36:45, stopped the Garmin on 35:44 the 0.2 in 19 seconds.

The Finish

Overall I’m delighted with my efforts on the day and I was only 45 seconds away from my gold target, after picking up my goody bag and medal I met up with my better half and the rest of the family, and once I was changed I went along to the barriers and cheered home the other competitors.

01/10/2012 at 18:52
Stewartc what can I say!!!! Amazing report fair play you have set a high benchmark for us all to life up to with report writing lol!

Evening everyone looks like some great run over weekend well done all. Louise how is injury feeling today?

Well tonight going to gym for my first attempt at Pilates hope can help strengthen up my rubbish core

Andi hope nipple recovering?
WTK I think it may of been in listings on back of woman's running mag I saw Stourbridge stagger thinking about it I'll look again

Will report back later on my lack of flexibility after Pilates attempt
HM4
01/10/2012 at 21:22

Chrissie,

Well done.

Louise,

Hope so.

Stuart,

Well done.

01/10/2012 at 21:32

Stewart excellent report and run - altough was a bit confused by your end time

Sam still feel like an old lady today, not sure I will be up for running tomorro either Hopefully wont take too much longer. I think I just increased my weekly mileage too much last week.

I am still away in holiday inn, have just had lovely steak and wine in good company, now in warmm comfy peaceful bed

My 17 year old daughter passed her driving test today, what a star - celebrating with little extra dram of wine

01/10/2012 at 21:33

thanks Sam, hope the pilates goes well, I am less creaky old lady today and went for an 'easy' run earlier to loosen up the old limbs.

Chrissie, you will be leaving me standing at Brum if you go at that speed in your training runs  Louise, she is a fine example of adding weights to your training regime. we should watch and learn..........

Stewart, sounds like a great race. well done on your time and for going back to cheer in those following you, I always find people with medals on are great supporters in the closing metres of a tough run. Too many supporters just stand there staring blankly until their husband/wife/friend comes along, cheer them like mad then go  back to staring blankly. I think everyone should cheer everyone.

admittedly they might find it a little tiring, but not as tiring as running 13.2 miles in front of crowds of indifferent spectators....(sorry, pet grouch, dont know where that came from....)

01/10/2012 at 21:38

HM4, love your minimalist posts, I should try to be like that sometimes. I know I have a tendency to ramble on in a stream of conciousness kind of way that can even make me feel like falling aslee..............................................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

01/10/2012 at 21:54
Pilates... Who knew???.........I'm gonna ache just shows how rubbish my core is lol!! Loved it though will aim for 2 sessions a week I think.
01/10/2012 at 21:58

Well done Chrissie, that's a good omen for the 21st!

Stewart, that's a fab race report and congratulations on your time! Chasing the sub-50 now?

WTK, thank you, and well done on your long run.

Andi, hope your nipple has recovered! Also a tip I read for the Camelbak, keep it in the freezer between uses; stops it going all nasty and germy inside apparently. Just wash it and dry it then pop it in I think. Not sure I want one as I really dislike drining from hot water bottles and I like my nipples the shape they are

Louise, hope your knee settled quickly.

Sam, just wait. You'll feel like you haven't really done anything after pilates but by tomorrow evening you'll wonder what you did (I hadn't attended in ages, went on Thursday, by Friday evening I wondered what the hell I'd done to my obliques...). It works though - I've been having more knee and ITB pain since I stopped going.

Lisa, hope the toe's better. It's so annoying when manufacturers change their shoes. I wear Inspire 7s but the 8s have been changed so they don't fit me. I don't need another pair yet but the 7s are already hard to find even online. Have you tried asking in the Gear forum to see if anyone knows a make and model similar to your old ones?

Good running Peter, despite getting lost (or perhaps because of!).

Apologies if I missed anyone - so many posts!

No running for me since Saturday. Was going yesterday but fell asleep in the afternoon, and today I just felt wrecked all day so didn't go out again. Knee/ITB is hurting a lot too (today I was flying a desk all day and it really doesn't agree with my joints). Club tomorrow and then a run Thursday evening I think.

Turns out my official parkrun time was 30:35 and I'm so surprised I'm half-questioning the results. I have never run anything further than a mile at less than 10:20 pace and I think that time works out to about 9:50. I like the single digit before the colon  No wonder it felt so hard. So that's two PBs in six days, 4:09ish off my 10K and 1:03 off my 5K times.

Finally feel like sub-60 might be actually achieveable.

I also changed gyms; so should be able to actually go to pilates at least once a week. I can also go swimming whenever I want which is pretty cool. I have only swum once since the Great East Swim (in June!) because the local pool where I was a member was shut for seven months for refurbishment (more like a lick of paint and a promise if you ask me) and going to the next-nearest is a bit of a faff, and expensive. The pool at the new gym is too short really but better than nothing.

I haven't actually gone yet though!

01/10/2012 at 22:22

Email notifications of new posts just arrived... posts made before I posted but not visible until now. Hmmm.

01/10/2012 at 23:36

Sorry guys, copy and paste fail 

times were as follows 56:45 and 55:44

02/10/2012 at 07:00

Chrissie fab running times am guessing you will come in under 2 hours.

Stewart great race review, and times. You can join me in my quest (probably a long one!) to get sub 50mins now.

Sam pilates is great to supplement running with, I go twice per week and my core strength has definately improved - however my flexibility especially my tight hamstrings are another problem that are yet to be solved 

HM4
02/10/2012 at 07:40

Kate,

There are times when I can write for England.  More than likely I'm only on here for about a couple of minutes each time and you can usually tell when my TOIL day is every other week because of my usual posting times.

Sam,

Yoga has that effect on me at times, however both are very good for you.

Carpathius,

With the parkruns I've been to there doesn't appear to be a clear marker where the start is so I've got into the habit of starting my watch when the gun goes.

02/10/2012 at 08:26

StewartC - Fabv race review..... I wish I could remember my races in that kind of details, they're usually a blur.....

Thanks for all the kind comments - I'm not counting my chickens on a sub 2 hour for Brum..... I'd just like to get a PB. I know there are more hills in Brum than on my 13 mile run so I'm trying not to get carried away..... My knee feels a little odd, not painful, doesn't hurt when i run, but it kind feels like someone is holding me around my knee. Using Ibuprofen gel on it at mo.....

Carpathius - Good news on new gym.... and well done on your PB's.... always a good feeling.

HM4 - I have been following your progress even though I haven't been around for a while - hope your shoulder feels better soon. I remember the pain you went through when you did it.... Take care and good luck with training.

Samantha - Pilates will make you ache for a few weeks but persevere with it, it really does work wonders.

Louise - Congratulations for your daughter passing test. I assume she'll want to probably borrow your car now.....

HM4
02/10/2012 at 17:55

Chrissie,

Thanks.  Now it's not raining as much it's getting there.  It's just when it's cold & wet I suffer and it's not even winter yet.  Take care of your knee.

02/10/2012 at 18:05

@walktallkate - thanks for the advice.  I've tried a couple of over the counter ones and I think my foot must be a bit odd - the 'lump' is too far back for me.  I'm told this pod will try first modifying over the counter ones to see if we can get any joy there first.  My mate tells me that his wife had some custom molded ones fitted at one of the big chain running stores for only £60 or so, so I might try those too before I drop £300 on the swiss made custom jobbies.

I've stuck religiously to my diet so far, and it's going ok.  I've hovered around the 88kg point for about two weeks now so it's not exactly falling off.  I've switched from porridge to fish or eggs for breakfast but that's it, I'm not reducing my food intake any further.  I'm sure once I'm back into my running it'll start coming down.

02/10/2012 at 18:21
Evening all so I'm aching a bit already from Pilates last night! Have booked in for Thursday session.

Terrible week as far as running. Not been out since my disastrous run Friday lol! Hopefully will be tomoz pm now membership started at gym now so tryi g to structure a " no excuse " weekly program to incorporate some Gym and Pilates sessions. Meeting gym bod tomoz to work a program with me

Hope weather better for some of you today? It's cat and dogs here!!
14,841 to 14,860 of 16,077 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.