A new 10k in under 60 mins thread?

They're all too fast in the other thread!

14,881 to 14,900 of 16,077 messages
04/10/2012 at 16:04

Hi Guys,

I may be joining a few of you on the injury bench, I was out last night doing some intervals on a hilly route, I was just starting my third 800 fast when I felt a tightening of the lower calf on inside of the leg, cut short the fast stuff, did some self massage for 5 minutes or so, and gently jogged back to the sport centre.

This morning it was a little tender, but has improved throughtout the day, Ibrophen and calf guard seems to be doing the job.  

04/10/2012 at 16:22

Ouch that sounds painful. Defo take it easy there.

I am out for a run tonight with my new shoes. Should be fun and hopefully pain free.

04/10/2012 at 20:58

Graham, hope the new shoes work out.

Stewart, fingers crossed your leg will be OK. You did all the right things by the sound of it.

Louise, how's the ankle and knee? Did you go for a run in the end?

Lisa, that running club sounds loads better - I'm really curious about that other one though, it seemed really out of the ordinary.

7th skip, sometimes training goes like that. It'll be better next time.

Good luck in your tri Sam! Your gym sounds great - reminds me that I must go to mine.

wtk, good luck on your long run.

I just went for a very short pootle (just under 2 miles) with hubby this evening. Annoyingly my lower calf started getting tight again and then progressed to being rather painful. This keeps happening and I wish I knew why. My foot/ankle pain after running is still happening too. I think another appointment with the physio is in order.

HM4
04/10/2012 at 21:05

Lisa,

Thanks.  Hope things work out with the club.

Stuart,

Hope that settles down soon.

Carpathius,

Well done.

04/10/2012 at 21:08

Carpathius,

I just come back from my first run in them and WOW!!! what a difference. The Brooks ST5's are so comfy, no sore anything and I found it much easier to run in them. I did a 8 mile run in 1 hour 9 mins and averaged 8-8.3 min miles. Didn't even feel tired at the end.

It's the best £50 I have ever spent. Now I am looking forward to my 10 mile run on saturday in them. I should be able to do the 10 mile in 1hr 25 mins fingers crossed. I have only ever done one 10 mile run and that was a few months ago in a time of 1hr 43 mins and an 8 mile previously in 1hr 20 mins.

Lisa good to hear that the other running club sounds better.

Yeah take it easy Carpathius. I hope the pain eases very soon.

04/10/2012 at 21:24

I don't run or come on here for a  couple of days (ok, 4 days) and there are pages of stuff so shall just say well done peeps and for those on the injury bench I hope you recover soon

Am no behind on my 'plan' but did manage 8k this afternoon and a slightly different route  and was just under 58 mins with a 500ft incline so not as hilly as the other route.

The single malt has taken a bashing since Friday and just cracked open bottle #4 (there are 2 of us mind) Hopefully running will return to normal next Wednesday

Is it me or is the site very slow? it takes an age to scroll through the thread and  typing here has taken about 10 minutes!

04/10/2012 at 21:29

Andi I reckon its more to do with those glasses of Malt mate. LOL.

04/10/2012 at 21:48
Hi all.
Just been to my second Pilates session different teacher and I am in for some serious aches I reckon tomorrow!!!!! Lol she was brutal

Managed to get half hour in gym before the class on treadmill I know it's great for me being the onset of winter and not wanting to run in the dark BUT it ain't a patch on running outdoors is it?? Also I. More distracted in the gym therefore end up watching every bloody minute ( and every fit bod walking in the door of course! Lol )
Tommorow I plan a great outdoor run early afternoon then a few glasses of the red nectar

I've lost track who has races this weekend? Good luck to you all look forward to reading about it.
05/10/2012 at 07:08

Well, attended other running club and they are so friendly and welcoming. Got partnered up with another runner who unfortunately was quite a bit slower then me and I just couldn't run at her pace so in the end I was running on my own but amongst others. Met back at the base at the end and a member of the commitee suggested that I should be running with a couple of others instead who may be more suitable, then they all went in the bar afterwards for a quick drink - unfortunately my hubby was at home cooking dinner so I declined, but it was nice to be invited. Now I need to decide which club to go to - first club offish and didn't feel inclusive (but I only went once so maybe that would change with persistence ), however I have a feeling that I will make greater improvements in my running. Or second club who are very inclusive and friendly however they LSR's at the weekend are about 6 miles and on club nights about 3 -4 miles, and I am currently running longer distances. Decisions, decisions!!

Graham great news about the trainers, your times appear to be tumbling very nicely!

Stewart and Carpathius hope your injuries are starting to feel better, I got frustrated not running between Sunday and yesterday - according to my hubby I was like a bear with a sore head

05/10/2012 at 14:02

Still sore, still off running, how depressing.

Am now behind on my programme having had five days off - how long before I lose fitness? Very depressing

Also have a head cold.

Oh well, a couple of pints of cider tonight should cheer me up

05/10/2012 at 15:17
Hello everyone!
I've not been on here for ages...I think the number of posts might have still been in four figures!
To the oldies....hello again! Remember me? How many are still around or have they fallen by the wayside like I did?
To the newbies....hello!
For those who don't know me, here's a quick r??sum??: 47 year old bloke, twenty year battle with a flabby gut. Running on and off for about three years. Ran one 10k less than 60mins (57, thanks Chrissie!). Two years ago, trained very hard and did the Loch Ness Marathon in a tad over five hours. One off the bucket list. I have a chronic and acute back problem which has plagued me for years. For the last several months it's been quite bad. Undergoing physio now. And I rattle from the horse-strength pills I'm taking!

I've been told I can run again! Whoop! Whoop!.....maximum five minutes!!! Not much, but it's a start!

I hope you all have a fabulous weekend and if you're running, run like the wind! And enjoy it!
05/10/2012 at 15:20
That was meant to say resume, me being all fancy with my words, but it added question marks? Oh well, technology!
05/10/2012 at 15:58

Hi Guys,

Ado, congrats on being given the green light to run again

Louise, I feel for you, hope you're feeling better and the pain subsides

Lisa, it all depends on what you want to get out of club running, sounds like it might be a toss up between a solical club to one which may be better suited to one with a more competive nature.

Samantha, hope the run has gone well this afternoon and the aches and pain are not interfering to much

Andy some good running and drinking gone on there

Graham, those new trainers sound good and good paces, good luck with the ten miler

carpathius, sorry to hear your calf is still playing up, hopefully the phisio will sort it out

I went to Jog Scotland last night, took the 1 mile group, 12:30mm, calf feels tight but not painful, hopefully I just over stretched it put the brakes on going down hill, I'm going to try another run this evening, up the pace a little and see how the calf reacts.  If all goes well, I'll be looking to run 10-12 miles on Sunday, with some faster HM pace miles, then some lighter running next week so I'm fit and strong for the HM the following Sunday

05/10/2012 at 16:55

Welcome back Ado.  Still here, also injured - hoping to be able to start the slow buildup again after the 10th but may have a wait a bit longer depending on whether pod insists on me waiting for custom orthotics or not.

Louise - hope you're feeling better now?

Graham - nice shoes - I was looking at their stuff, but the other end of the spectrum - full motion control!  Take good care of your calves if you're going minimalist!

HM4
05/10/2012 at 19:47

Graham,

Thats great.

Lisa,

That's good news.  Perhaps when it comes to training for spring marathons they may run longer distances?  The group I'm in at the club I go run 6 miles usually on Sundays and some weeks this has been too far for me & others not long enough so I've got into the habit of going when it suits my training plan.

Ado,

That's great news.  Take things slowly & you'll soon be back to your usual running.

Stuart,

Well done.

05/10/2012 at 20:41

Hi Ado, I had fallen by the wayside until a few weeks ago. currently training for Birmingham half mara. it is good to see you back

Louise, Carpathius and Stewart, hope the calf niggles sort themselves out. and that you are able to enjoy it again soon.

I am not injured but EVERYTHING hurts after my long run. it was not as long as it should have been. struggled totally. mentally physically. made a couple of friends though, an old bloke talked to me and turned out to be an 81 year old marathon runner, he encouraged me to go to my local running club where he takes the 'run walk' group. then on the way back I spoke to a woman who looked in as much pain as I felt, she was just starting out again after a break and it turned out we were heading for the same point towards home so we painfully jogged together for the last couple of miles, and it was amazing how much a bit of company helped take our minds off our aching limbs . so managed to get a few postives from what was a fairly painful and difficult 11 and a half -ish miles.

hope everyone has a good weekend, I am busy with family stuff (and hopefully some live music in the local on Saturday!) but will be back in my trainers come Monday

HM4
06/10/2012 at 13:37

Kate,

Well done.  Hopefully it's just the case of you're running too quickly for the long runs or have built up the mileage too quickly.  Good luck with the club.

06/10/2012 at 14:25

Right here goes. I did the 10 mile run today with my fellow striders. Time logged was 1 hr 22 mins with the stops taken out and 1 hr 33 with the stops in. They made sure that everyone who was a bit slower caught up. some very steep hills. Elevation goes from 92 feet at the beginingin to 332 feet at the 1h 8 mins point. Then it dropped back down again. Average pace taking the stops into account was 9.3 min/miles.

I found it pretty hard especially after the 8 mile run on Thursday but the new shoes are defo doing their job for sure.

They are running the race tomorrow so it will be interesting to see what times people get. I am going to do the 2k fun run with the kids and probably annoy the striders bear for a bit. LOL.

I still can't believe some people wanted to do the 10 mile today knowing they have got to do it all over again tomorrow. Yulks.

Anyone else been busy running today.

06/10/2012 at 15:09
Well done Graham and well done WTK!!! blimey can't contemplate a ten miler any time too soon !!
StewartC hope the calf not too painful still?
Louise how's it all feeling now??

I've been to gym this morning a 5k in 27 mins was pleased although incline was on a flat . Also did 5k slowish on bike and a fab relaxing 16 lengths of the pool (followed by a delicious latte and read of the paper before heading back to the madness of two toddlers )

Hope weekend going well for everyone else so far
06/10/2012 at 15:14

Thanks samantha, really aching this afternoon though. LOL.

I forgot to mention we have a veteran in our club. A chap called Ron who is 70 years old and still running marathons. He was running today and I really have to admire what this guy does in his running and for the club. A true gent. He keeps trying to get me to sign up for a half marathon. Ah! bless.

14,881 to 14,900 of 16,077 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.