A new 10k in under 60 mins thread?

They're all too fast in the other thread!

14,901 to 14,920 of 16,077 messages
06/10/2012 at 17:45

WTK well done on your LSR - sometimes half the battle of a run is the mental strength, but glad your found someone to run along with at the end. Give that running club a go it may help you running with others.

Graham well done on your 10 miler - nice times again!

Another parkrun another PB - 27mins 16sec. Also bumped into one of the runners from the friendly club that I went to on Thursday - he suggested that I run with him another another runner this week as apparently the women in the club all run at a much slower pace - he also suggested joining the cross country section of the club (as he felt that I wouldn't make much improvements with the main running club as their training nights have no structure), tbh never really considered that before now, so maybe worth thinking about!

Has anyone else given cross country a try?

06/10/2012 at 18:14

Hi Lisa,

Our running club have suggested the same thing to me. They are doing a 10k cross country route in a couple of weeks. The only thing that worries me is that they do it in a quicker pace than a normal 10k run. Only £2.50 a run which I think is pretty cheap.

Then I am also worried about getting my shoes dirty. LOL.

HM4
07/10/2012 at 07:54

Off road running is fun.  That's what my 2 halfs were this year.  Some of the off road shoes are grey or brown so don't worry about getting them dirty.  It's also a bit kinder on the joints.

07/10/2012 at 13:45

Just come back from my clubs 10 mile event and a great turn out. I have signed myself up for the maidstone half marathon next week. So that should be lots of fun.

Its great when you get alot of running clubs in the same room. Very friendly bunch for sure.

HM4
07/10/2012 at 13:49

Graham,

Well done & good luck for next weekend.

07/10/2012 at 15:11

Thank you. I am going to treat it as my weekend slow run. Aim for around 8.5-9 min miles. As long as I am under 2 hours I will be very happy.

07/10/2012 at 17:33

WTK well done - that's a massive run! Sorry it felt so rubbish and glad you found a buddy for the last couple of miles.

Graham, you maverick! Good luck next week.

Lisa, you've got nothing to lose by giving it a go. I think xc sounds great and the surroundings have got to be better than the usual roads-and-houses view on runs!

I ran a very slow parkrun yesterday (33:58) and came 90th but that was deliberate because I wanted a bit of a longer run so I did another lap after getting my token. I reckon it took me about 51 minutes to do 7.5 k.

07/10/2012 at 17:33

Official time for Edinburgh 10k was 52:58 delighted

HM4
07/10/2012 at 17:44

Carpathius & Grant,

Well done.

07/10/2012 at 19:19

Graham good luck for next week.

Grant brilliant time for your 10k well done.

Carpathius that doesn't sound 'very slow' at all.

LSR run completed 9.6 miles in 1hr 35 mins, felt nice and comfortable, weather was just perfect feeling a bit achey now though!

07/10/2012 at 21:48

Well done to everybody for their runs this weekend

Due to my guest and our liking for a wee dram (or three) I only did the one run of 8k this week so will make sure I pick things up again on Wednesday. I keep telling myself that the 'rest' from running will have helped me somehow

08/10/2012 at 16:08

thanks all for words of encouragement  I developed a nasty sore throat and hit a great wall of tiredness over the weekend so think that may have had something to do with the rubbish run. Feeling better now and planning a run with the local club tonight. (fingers crossed they are a welcoming bunch)

Lisa, good going for your LSR!

Graham, good luck with the half, funny how sometimes we dont need much 'persuading' to take up these challenges.

Grant, fantastic time, glad you are pleased, hope you enjoyed it.

Andi, welcome back from the world of single malt and hospitality , I'm sure you will soon be back in full running mode.

HM4
08/10/2012 at 21:18

Andi,

Hope your back running soon.

Kate,

Hope you're feeling better soon.

08/10/2012 at 21:49
Well done Grant
Hope you feeling better WtK

Well I went to gym tonight snuck in a quick 4 k only on treadmil before pilates class I'm sure I'm gonna ache like bugger again lol!

No running tomoz planning to try a long 10k run Wednesday afternoon .....
08/10/2012 at 22:30
Hey guys

Trust everyone is well

Need a little advise , twisted my back this weekend and I'm in a bit of pain, I need to get back to training for the GSR anyone recommend light training and what?

Thanks for help
09/10/2012 at 09:58

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Next goals are Edinburgh half kilomathon on 17th March and then the Rock N Roll half in Edinburgh on 14th of April. Just like to say that this forum is tremendous and has helped my keep running on a very regular basis. Plus I have lost a stone in weigh so far. Cheers everyone

09/10/2012 at 17:20

WTK hope your running club were a friendly bunch last night and that you are feeling better.

Andi step away from the single malt and get back out there

Running club again tonight - only decision is which one to go to...

HM4
09/10/2012 at 18:18

7th Skip,

I'd say lots of stretching and once it's eased off short runs, 5 miles tops for the long run and the weekday runs of about 3 miles.

Grant,

Excellent.

Lisa,

Good luck.

09/10/2012 at 19:51

Lisa,we are agog. which one was it, the friendly but not terribly challenging or the  antisocial but good for legs?

I am mostly all better now. the club was great, masses of people and it sounds like a healthy social side too. I ran with the 10.5 minute milers and it was a bit fast for me but that was just what I needed.

09/10/2012 at 20:44

Well done Grant

WTK, glad you're feeling better - no wonder the run was a struggle! Your club sounds good.

Lisa - which one did you go to in the end?

7th skip, if you've twisted your back, make sure you rest for a few days, then maybe try a very short jog or a swim and see how it is. I don't think there's any cross-training recommended for a twisted back other than rest. Hope it gets better soon!

Club again tonight for me - nearly didn't make it thanks to a conspiracy involving an accident on the A14, then lorry drivers insisting on overtaking each other veeeeerrry slooooooowly. Downside of a club so far from home! I did make it though. We ran round the (very big) block, effort on the long sides and recovery jogs on the short sides and the second ha;f swapping over. I only managed two loops of the first half and one loop of the second half and my calf/achilles was playing up by the second loop. Must ring the physio tomorrow!

14,901 to 14,920 of 16,077 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.