A new 10k in under 60 mins thread?

They're all too fast in the other thread!

14,921 to 14,940 of 16,077 messages
09/10/2012 at 23:13
Thanks guys

I have been resting , just hope that I'm able to get back into it all soon GSR is on the 28th and now getting worried as I was hoping for a long run this weekend before tapering off , ahh well lets hope I'm ready
10/10/2012 at 07:28

Well I went along to the less friendly club, and it was still not particularly friendly . Talking to a long standing member of the club you just turn up and run. There is no real structure you just have to remember who runs at a similar pace to you and tag along in that group?

So last night we ran a 10k route, about 20 or so people set off at about 9-9.5 min miles (there were other groups running aswell at generally faster paces), so I just tagged along with this group and managed to run most of the way with someone who was at a similar pace to me so we chatted as we ran. So, I am still not sure of what to do. I think that I will go along to Lingfield Running Club on Thursday night and then make a decision having experienced 2 runs at both clubs.

The other option is my local gym where I am a member, also have a 'running club' although not UK athletics recognised they do 3 sessions per week on the running track, mostly interval and speed training so I could just go there once a week for my speed, do my LSR on Sunday on my own and do one club night (at no so friendly club)? Have I mentioned my indecisiveness!!

HM4
10/10/2012 at 17:45

Lisa,

I've got another option for you which I've only just thought of.  Fetcheveryone website (a sister website to this which started out as an online running log) have their own affiliated running club so if you're looking for a discount on entry fees register with that or another online running club and use the gym's running club for speed.  You may also find someone on Fetch near you to run with. 

--------

Well done on everyone's training & hope the niggles clear up quickly.

10/10/2012 at 20:24

Hi everyone.  I had my appointment today with the podiatrist.  She thinks my arches aren't a total disaster at least.  She heat molded and adjusted some off the shelf orthotics to fit me better and they do feel a bit more comfortable so far.  She thinks my main problem is that my feet aren't straight - they have a slight twist (corkscrew style) so that the ball isn't on a plane with the heel.  She added some sections of foam to lift the outer edge a little bit.  I'm not 100% convinced, but I will try anything at this point - she said to walk around in them for a couple of weeks until my foot stops hurting before I try running again.  If she's wrong I'll know pretty quickly because up until now I can't wear the orthotics for very long at all before it starts hurting.  I do hope she's right!  Mean time I'll ice and gel the foot, keep up the exercises and stretches, and carry on building my core strength.  My goals now are to be able to do a bit of walking and short gentle jogging on our holiday at the end of the month.

10/10/2012 at 20:41

Hello everyone, lots of good running I note!

Have had a head cold, and still have painful knee and ankle, so no running. But have managed to do three sessions on the elliptical trainer this week, so feel a bit more cheerful - am desperate as have my HM race in two and a half weeks, and the training was going so well - really hope I havent lost all my fitness and will be able to get round. Joints are feeling much better than they were though ( I could hardly walk last week, so is good can manage the cross trainer). Hopefully can try a run at the weekend, and hope I havent forgotten how to do it.

10/10/2012 at 20:42

And sorry Daveo, lots of sympathy from me and hope the orthotics work

10/10/2012 at 20:58
Hi all

Blimey lots of big grown up words on thread tonight like orthotics and elliptical trainer?? Lol
Dave hope it works out for you fingers crossed!

Louise sounds an ongoing nightmare for you fingers crossed you will be fine and get round course for your HM

Lisa I love the fact you keeping your options open you can see what mood your in each week as to where you go

I did the gym today 5 k on treadmill started trying to increase the incline and pace at intervals then a good 25min swim

Am thinking of entering Telford 10k dec 16th as my next 10k is November 18th so that will be a month between them and to keep me on track for march HM. It also means once I do the December 16th race I can not feel too guilt s I pig out for the rest of the seasonal festivities ho ho ho
10/10/2012 at 21:34

Good plan Sam! Especially the last bit!

Daveo, I hope those orthotics finally work. I can't imagine how bloody horrible it must be to go so long injured

Lisa, so many choices! I think I would use the gym club for speed and the friendly club for running with others if I were in your shoes but that's just me.

Louise, you'll be fine in the half marathon. You'd be tapering from next week anyway and doing less and you won't lose your fitness in such a short space of time. I would say focus on reaching the start line without a niggling injury even if it means you don't get as much training as you would have liked. Don't try to make up for lost training because at this stage you're more likely to do harm than good.

7th skip, hope the back's better.

I am aching - cycling to work and back felt like my thighs were made of concrete with nerve endings and pain recptors. I guess the intervals or whatever you'd call the club session last night had an effect - although it might also have been the 6.7 miles of cycling, the pilates class in the morning or the foam rollering. Choices, choices... 

11/10/2012 at 02:18

Lisa, am sure you'll make the right decision and think HM4 is right with Fetch

Daveo, fingers crossed with the Orthotics, I took my friend over to Oban on Monday and she was given some inserts that hurt like heck but was told to wear them for a short time only to start with.

Louise, Carpathus is right, your almost at the taper stage now so just try to rest and recuperate.

Sam, sounds like your training is going well and your pre xmas run sounds like a good idea

Carpathius, sounds like you may be doing too much? Aching is ok I guess but make sure it doesn't lead to injury.

Well, my guest has gone back to France so the Single Malt is back in the cupboard (though tempting). After more than a week without running I went out for a cheeky 6k tonight,  felt quite good and managed to run to the top of most hills then have a short walk break on the flat. It's Rally weekend so a couple of (naughty) guys were out and about sighting one of the stages and whilst they were nice and slow each time one went past the fumes were so strong I felt a little light headed. No LSR for me on Saturday as I'll be off to watch stage 12 at my favourite spot.

Oh, v early post as I'm not long back from trying to photograph the Aurora Borealis, sadly it was cloudy and nothing much appeared but there was a weird sunset type hue in the sky so it wasn't a total washout

HM4
11/10/2012 at 18:51

Andi, 

If you ever end up in Dublin go to Jameisons (sp?) & try & be picked for the whisky tasting.  You get 6-8 drams which are a combination of borboun (sp?), scottish whisky & irish whisky.  I wouldn't recommend you do it on the same day as The Storehouse tour as that comes with a free pint !   Please post some piccies.  I've got a friend in Aberdeen who has had some success at capturing them but not done it a sunset so I think your's would look awesome.

Carpathius,

I think I would take the foam roller.

Daveo,

Good luck.  With all the core work when you get out running you'll certainly notice the difference.

Sam,

That sounds a busy winter, good luck.  I don't usually run races after September as my training goes to pot however the club I'm in have their championship race (10k) at the end of October so I guess I'll have to start training a bit smarter this time of year.

11/10/2012 at 20:24

txs for the tip re the tastings HM4

My Auroa shot looks like Sunset but it was shot at midnight so several hours after the Sun went down.

HM4
11/10/2012 at 20:30

Andi,

That's a great photo.

11/10/2012 at 21:24

Hi all,

Carpathius, are you getting some rest days in for recovery between these mega activity days? good going anyway it sounds like you have the energy for it all so happy days

I would love to see the aurora borealis, despite numerous childhood holidays in far away northern places I never have. Andi that is a great picture, well captured, it can only be aurora borealis surely at that time of night?

7th skip, Louise and Dave, hope the injuries and niggles subside and let you get back into gear. orthotics and associated adjustments can be aggravating.

Sam, that sounds like a fab christmas indulgence plan.

I did 10 and a bit today (do my measuring with a bit of thread and a tape measure it is not strictly accurate), didn't suffer mentally like last week as got my head in the right place before I went out and made my mind up to do it more like race pace than  loooong  s l o w LSR. Was ok until the last mile or so, then my legs and hips really started to hurt and stiffen up. It was rainy and cool and slowing down for crossing roads and a little walk break seemed to bring it on so maybe it was just getting cold muscles. I made myself keep running (pathetic shuffle jogging..) and made it home having done around 10 and a half miles in 2 hours 10 minutes. Race pack came through today and I've been sent a pic of the running vests the charity is providing on the day. very cool red ones with big pictures of red blood cells on them . I am working out when I can do my final few training runs in taper week next week

11/10/2012 at 22:25

txs HM4 & WTK, some people are saying its light pollution but there is no way a little town like Tobermory can create that much pollution and there is very little north of that point so yes, am going with the Aurora. My first time as well so quite chuffed

Love the high tech measuring tools WTK and yes, your right, 90% of running is probably in your head.

12/10/2012 at 07:31
Wow beautiful picture Andi!
12/10/2012 at 12:35

Thanks Sam Rain seems set in for the day and Scrutineering has started for the Mull Rally so may not venture out today - time to get on me bike maybe

12/10/2012 at 12:54

WOW! go away for a couple of days and BAM! there's loads of messages. I normally get alerts through my hotmail but for some reason they aren't coming through.

It seems that achy legs etc.. are a common theme on her recently. LOL it shows we are all putting in 110%.

I went out for a 6.5 mile run with the club on tuesday and timed 48.4 mins for 6 miles which is my best ever. 4 of the miles were under 8 min miles and trying to keep up with the good runners is real hard.

I have had to cancel my half marathon on sunday due to commitments but I have a 12.2 mile run planned for tomorrow. I am going out with my friend at 7.30am while the traffic is light. I did the 10 mile in 1 hr 23 mins so I am hoping for around 1 hr 40-50 min time but we will see as I won't be running with the club so times will be slower.

Its been 3 weeks now since I have joined the club and it has defo made a real difference. I have even been invited to a firework display at a chaps house who goes to the running club.

I hope your aches and pains etc.. all get better and you have some good runs this weekend!!!!

12/10/2012 at 16:30
That club sounds great Graham! I really ought to look at a club for me but time of days they meet at the moment clash with toddler bedtimes!!!grrrrrr

Will deffo think about joining one in few months time I think I need that "push" to improve
12/10/2012 at 16:34

Sam chalk and cheese difference in the last few weeks. I have found myself pushing n areas I would have normally given up. And they love a drink too!!! I did laugh as I am a bit of a weekend binge drinker and I have been trying to cut back and drink less. Then I go and find out the club I join is a bunch of drinkers. Brilliant!

HM4
12/10/2012 at 18:35

Graham,

Good luck with the club sounds like it's going to be fun.

----------

Well done on everyone's training. 

14,921 to 14,940 of 16,077 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.