A new 10k in under 60 mins thread?

They're all too fast in the other thread!

14,961 to 14,980 of 16,032 messages
14/10/2012 at 22:23
Finished the race in 1h 01min 24sec. Looking for my next one now and see if I can get under the hour mark!
15/10/2012 at 13:07

Thank you plodmaster Im so glad you have started this thread. I started running at the start of the year( never thought i would) I have just turned 60 regularly run parkrun on a Saturday and  have now run 5 10ks. last weeks one i did in 70 mins would love to get to 60 mins. I can do my 5k parkrun in 32 mins now would love to get it to 30mins. all well in good in theory yes go out there and run faster but like you if I go faster have to stop and walk a bit yet sometimes feel why am i not going faster. In my defense I must say invariable when i do go in for races there was always been a lot of rain just before it so seem to be in mud etc and lawsy conscious if i go too fast i might end up falling. I will keep trying and feel happier now doing 10k and did enjoy last weeks one. I have now entered a 10mile for this week and hoping to build up to a half marathon next year. Nice to know there are others that arent going on about being under 40 mins. lets face it its about doing your best and getting over the finish line. Brenda

15/10/2012 at 13:11

Hi Brenda, hats off to you for running at 60. We have a chap on our club who is a veteran member on the commitee and he is 70. This guys does marathons. Total inspiration.

I wish you all the best in getting your time down to under 60 mins and with your 10 mile coming up.

15/10/2012 at 15:36

welcome brenda,

Carpathius, good luck with the exam on tuesday.

15/10/2012 at 15:53

First 10k under the belt at 1.07 - still a way to go but at least I achieved my goal - wasn't last!

15/10/2012 at 16:36

well done Andrew Miles you must be well chuffed. Enter your next one now.

15/10/2012 at 16:38

Well done Rachel first one is the worst as you dont know how you will feel.Enter your next one now.

15/10/2012 at 17:45

thinking on doing a 10k trail run next! Are they harder or the same as road runs?

15/10/2012 at 19:22

Well done with your time, Andrew !  I think trail is easier is easier on your legs - can be a bit of mud but who cares ? Prefer trail anytime...

15/10/2012 at 19:27
Carpathius that sounds a nightmare! Yes good luck with exam

Hi Brenda and Rachel

Well done Andrew on your race I've been thinking the same recently aswel about a trail run quite fancy it.

I was Short on time tonight but managed a 5k in 25 mins on treadmill so happy with that. Started looking at HM plans to start around end of November so many to choose!! I like things down on paper that I can tick off as I do them lol!

Lisa any decision on the work dilemma?
15/10/2012 at 19:28

Thanks Peter think ill give trail run a go then!

15/10/2012 at 19:41

ok Beckenham charity trail 10k all booked for 11th november!

15/10/2012 at 19:55

good on you Andrew and good luck. Let us know how you like it.

15/10/2012 at 19:56
Well done booking that Andrew I'm just looking at Cardiff half next year haven't pushed the button yet lol
15/10/2012 at 20:32

Was thinking of Beckenham Charity trail but not sure how beginner-friendly it will be ? Has anyone run this one before ?

HM4
15/10/2012 at 20:39

Carpathius,

What a bummer.

Brenda,

You'll get there.

Andrew,

Well done.  Trail runs are harder.  Depending on the course you can add between 30-60 seconds per mile to your road time.  A good indicator is to look at a local road/trail race & then google results using a person's name to see what they have run on the other surface to give you an idea how you would fair.

Rachel,

Well done.

Sam,

Go on.  I don't know if it's run on the same course as the Cardiff marathon however I should think it's going to be fairly flat so a good time could be on the cards.

15/10/2012 at 20:39

ooh, lots has been happening whilst I've been AWOL!

Lisa, I hope you sorted things out? Sam is right, it is a dilemma but am sure you'll make the right decision and, of course, running should come 3rd (behind home and work).

Hi Brenda and Rachel and well done on your running. Brenda, I'm 7 years junior to you and can't do 10k in 70 minutes (yet) so if you pardon the expression I'll be chasing you

Well done Andrew! A trail sounds fun if a little muddy this time of the year, I took a 'trail' detour on my LSR the other week and have crossed that route off my list until next year lol.

Lol Sam, short on time means you have to run faster and push that button!

Carpathius, good luck for tomorrow and, as with running cramming tonight will do you no good so an early night for you!

Well done to everybody else and sorry if I missed you out.

Have been a bad boy and tonight was only my 3rd outing this month! 6k in 40 minutes and it was hard work - out of breath and no energy so will try harder in future (but am away next week as well).

15/10/2012 at 21:15

Welcome Brenda, Rachel and Andrew and well done on your recent races.

Carpathius good luck on your exam tomorrow - which branch of nursing are you looking to train in?

Sam go on, you know you want to! I have today been looking at booking a few more races, possibly another HM after Brighton in March time. This running addiction can get to be a tad expensive when lining up future races!

No decision made on the job front as of yet, thankfully I now have until Friday to make my final decision - not sure if prolonging the decision making time is good or not but am hoping for a ligt bulb moment!!

Pilates class for me tonight, and club night tomorrow. Happy running everyone

15/10/2012 at 21:24

Push the button Sam. I have just signed up for Jane Tomlinsons half marathon in Leeds next year. I felt I had to have something to aim for and really push myself for. Doesnt matter about time its about doing it and come next year hopefully we will crack our pbs

HM4
15/10/2012 at 21:24

Lisa,

I'm sure you're going to make the best decision for you !

14,961 to 14,980 of 16,032 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.