A new 10k in under 60 mins thread?

They're all too fast in the other thread!

14,981 to 15,000 of 16,077 messages
16/10/2012 at 13:08

Hi All

Lisa - remember running is a fairly flexible sport.... it's supposed to fit in around your life.... You need to make the decision about the job and what it will do for you.... Running will always be there whatever shifts you have.

Hope the exam has gone well for you Carpathius.

Sam - I may think about doing Telford, I did it a few years ago.... it was ok although running through the finish line at halfway point is a bit disheartening.

WTK - well done on your runs..... Fingers crossed for Brum....

Andi - at least you're back out there running - well done

Graham - Or should we re-name you speedy gonzales....  Well done on your improvements.....

Hello to newbies.

Myself - the last 2 weeks have been very strange health wise..... I hada sickness bug first week of October, although I ran a 13.12 mile course in 2 hours 2 minutes 30 seconds, this is 3 minutes faster than the week before.... I was feeling really pleased with myself. Ran on Monday 8th, just 4 miles and it was soooo difficult. By the end of the evening I had sore gums and my cheek felt inflamed.... Was worried I had a abcess or something like..... Got up on the Tuesday and the right side of my face was swollen so I rang the dentist who luckily had an appointment that day. Got there, took xrays, tapped my teeth, no problems just a swollen gum so gave me antibiotics. By end of day I was disfigured, felt really awful so went to bed. Got up Wednesday and the swelling was in my neck, rang docs, couldn't get in til Friday. Didn't go to work. Felt really crap about missing my training..... Went to docs on Friday to be told I had a "viral infection", more antibiotics.... So no training all weekend either.

Thankfully today I feel much better and swelling as almost gone. I still want to race on Sunday and hoping I will be ok. However after how well my training had gone I was hoping to push for a sub 2 hour..... I'm now wondering if this will be possible..... !

16/10/2012 at 13:15

Thanks CrissieT. I have a club run tonight and its someones birthday and they have bought loads of cakes. Aaaaahhhhh!!!! I have to eat them.......LOL

16/10/2012 at 14:17

Txs Chrissie and yes, it felt good to get back out even if it felt tough but no aches today so may nip out for a slightly slower jog later.

Ouch! a tooth/gum ache is probably the worst pain you can get so hopefully all is cleared up now. Am just a newbie but read that any training in the last couple of weeks probably won't improve performance so am sure you'll be fine.

Graham (speedy G) keep up this improvement and we'll be throwing you out of this thread lol - your enthusiasm really comes out when you write so maybe we'll call you Mr Motivator?

16/10/2012 at 14:34

Andi, yes mate I'm doing star jumps as we speak. LOL. I promise I will slow down tonight. Looking forward to tonight. God only knows what is install for me at 7.30pm.

Andi keep going mate......No aches is defo a good sign.

16/10/2012 at 14:41

Yup, only got a couple of weeks of easy jogging before I choose a 12 week 10k plan but am thinking of training to HR rather than times. Before using the HRM I'd always try to run too fast and it would take me a day or 2 to recover and as I am still seeing improvement will stick at it.

Visiting my parents next week and will be on the mainland so currently trying to find a decent sports shop that does video gait analysis on the Wirral - might treat myself to some winter running or trail shoes.

16/10/2012 at 14:46

Andi what was your running schedule before you chose the 12 week 10k plan. I don't really stick to training plans to be honest as I run the same procedures every week and am currently running about 20 miles a week. Just running with the club for only 3 weeks has made a huge difference in terms of how much easier I am finding it to run better and quicker for longer.

16/10/2012 at 14:59

Was really just building a base, running 3-5 times and around 20 miles a week with 1 LSR building up to 10 miles then between 5 & 8k on other days. As its so 'hilly' here unless I drive I still can't do 5k without a walk break but am getting to the top of most hills now and taking my walk break on the flat.

No club here but have seen the odd jogger around though am happy at my own pace right now

16/10/2012 at 15:08

If its hilly there then I see no problem with a break at the top to be honest. Sounds like a place where it is quite hard to do a long run without a stop. What speeds are you running. Are you still able to hold a conversation whilst running.

My problem has always been very similar and run off too fast because when you jog it always feels slower than it actually is. When we did the 12.5 mile run on saturday we made sure we went off at no quicker than 9 min/miles. Now to me this felt slow but it is what it is so we carried on.

As it is hilly around there I would maybe go a bit slower than you would and use this slower speed to enable you to have enough strength to get up the hills without stopping. It sounds like the best place to do hill sprints and mix it up with some of these. Do you have anyone you can run with or do you have something like a village facebook group which you can put a request in to see if there are any runners up for a run out.

Whilst I don't mind running on my own, it does get a bit boring and I don't put anywhere the effort in like I do wehn I am running with someone to push me or visa versa.

It sounds like you are putting in quite alot of mileage which is good. Do you feel you have improved in terms of fitness and speed.

16/10/2012 at 15:37

Am still slower than when I ran a few years ago, I started again almost 3 months ago and my first 5k pace was 13:53mm and last night did 6k @ 10:48mm so whilst still slow have shaved 2 mins off each mile but thinking my recovery runs should be around 10:30-11:00mm.

I'd like to start some speed sessions next month but more importantly think I should concentrate on running further without walk breaks and reckon the hills will give me a good workout. From home the first 300 metres is a gentle but taxing incline and do think this tires me right at the beginning (maybe I should walk the first bit lol). And stopping smoking might help as well

One of my neighbours was the first local home in last months HM (1:43) and was thinking of asking him (or anybody) when I can run continously for longer and at a pace I can carry on a converstion. I had thought about starting a Parkrun here but the startup costs are a bit high unless I can find a sponsor (something to think about over the wWinter months). I don't get bored when running (yet) as there is always something to look at here however I was out a couple of weeks ago and just started walking for no reason and in a group that wouldn't happen.

16/10/2012 at 16:39
Graham if you are out running tonight then please can you lie to us and tell us you had a rubbish time? Lol thanks lots only joking honest it keeps us all motivate when the posts come on like your times.

Chrissie yes when I read about Telford it didnt seem to look like one of the "fun" events all looks a bit heads down. Didn't realise you pass the finish line halfway yuck!!! Lol
Hope all your aches disappear for the weekend aswel!

I didn't push the Cardiff half button last night but promise I will by weekend ( pay day!! Lol)

So go forward plan is nov 18th mo running in Cardiff 10k. December 16th 10k Telford march 3rd llanelli HM! Nothing else booked till then till cardiff and swanses 10k next september When I book the Cardiff half that's beginning oct so may be a busy couple months but at least I got long term goals to keep me motivated

No running tonight got whole afternoon to myself tomoz so long run can't wait
16/10/2012 at 17:15

Signed up for the Mornington Chasers Winter 10k on 2 December - at least for once I won't be able to complain that I am too hot! Also have the BUPA 10k in London in May

16/10/2012 at 17:48

Andi where are you? I run parkrun regularly and it has sponsors and its now global. have you spoken to them about starting a parkrun? I can give you more information if you want it but as far as I know they put up the costs of new parkruns. They just need committment of local organisation as it has to be run each Saturday. Brenda

16/10/2012 at 18:22

Sam, sounds like your running diary is filling up nicely

Rachel, i'll be checking that you press the button over the weekend and am sure you'll get hot - even in December!

Txs Brenda, I have the pack and Parkrun want £5k to start a new run but they do say they will raise 50%. It might be easier for me to get a 'local' to front a new one as I've only been here a year and still considered an outsider (living on an Island can be quirky sometimes). I live on the Isle of Mull btw.

Ouch! half of one of my toe nails fell off the other week but didn't hurt and it had grown back enough to cut it but think I cut too much as was in agony after my 6k tonight, no blister but the tip of my toe is very red. If I just pop a plaster on it do you folk think it will be ok to run on again? It only seems to hurt after a run and not during.

16/10/2012 at 18:35

Oh shame Andi I thought it would be easier than that but maybe its beacuse you are on an island as you say. With regard to your toe nail my big toe nail came completely off a few months ago. I thought I wouldnt be able to run but have done several 10ks and my regular parkrun. Doesnt hurt when I run but sometimes sore after but i just soak it in the bath and make sure I wear thicker socks and try and make sure toe and socks have plenty of space. I wouldnt put a plaster on it dont think I could stand it if there was pain under plaster. Swimming seems to help it and I now have three quarters of a nail be glad when it is complete again

16/10/2012 at 21:38

Ouch Andi sounds very painful even though you said it wasn't.

Just came back from my club run. Sorry and please don't throw me out but I did a 6.26 mile run in 48.4 mins. Averaged 8 min miles and it felt really good apart from the last 1/4 mile which was up hill. Very pleased and wasn't last for a change. LOL.

I have my first cross country 6 miler on sunday in the kent fitness league. Should be interesting as I am going out on saturday night.

We did go through a very dodgy area where kids were constantly shouting abuse and cars driving past screaming and shouting. Not much fun I have to say.

HM4
16/10/2012 at 21:57

Chrissie,

Sounds like you've been thru the mill.  Take things easy during the race there's always going to be other halfs.

Andi,

They say you shouldn't pop blisters, however that doesn't stop me from doing it.

16/10/2012 at 22:31

Wow, I skip a day on here and you lot write a book!

Chrissie, sounds like you've had your year's allocation of illness, so you'll be fine till at least January I hope you're feeling better.

Speedy G, sounds like a dodgy area. At least you can outrun the scrotes. Well done on your recent times, very impressive indeed!

Andi, sounds like a gorgeous part of the world but you can keep the hills! Hope the toe's better.

Welcome Brenda  

Sam, have fun tomorrow on your long run.

Rachel, good luck in your races.

Andrew Miles, well done - very close to getting under the hour.

Peter, go for it - trail runs sound fun

Lisa, I hope the lightbulb goes on!

Exam went OK I think. Wasn't as bad as I thought but there were several bits I realised I'd not focused enough on when revising.

Uneventful club session tonight which I took a bit easier than I could/should have done. I've decided to do a local 7-mile race on the 11th November. Four weeks to train - need to take the trainers to Rhodes next week then!

There's the local cross-country races coming up for the club and I really want to try. However, I am detecting that DH is having a problem with my running activities (mostly parkrun, which I discussed with him and he knew about). I have a feeling that if I disappear off for several evenings to do cross-country he will get really narked. Sigh!

16/10/2012 at 22:33

Thanks Brenda but ouch! a big toe nail sounds even worse! Am not a good swimmer (and the sea is cold here) so that will stop me going for a Tri anytime lol

So Graham, your secret is shiny new shoes and join a club? Excellent time considering you were running through the 'hood' though maybe that made you speed up lol

HM4, there isn't a blister, it is very sore on the 'pad' and where the nail should be is very red, tis the long toe next to my big toe.

16/10/2012 at 23:11

Andi I agree with you on the swimming defo. I have thought about getting a bike because they do quite a bit of running and cycling. But I would have to rob a bank first. LOL.

16/10/2012 at 23:18

lol yes Graham, my big bruv has 3 bikes (road, velo and mountain) that cost around £5k in total (he is worse than me for buying stuff). I have a static bike in the lounge but sadly, like many in the country it has become a clothes horse though am sure it will get more use as the weather takes a downturn.

14,981 to 15,000 of 16,077 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.