A new 10k in under 60 mins thread?

They're all too fast in the other thread!

15,001 to 15,020 of 16,079 messages
16/10/2012 at 23:41

ooh, thought I'd double post to say thanks to Plodmaster,  your thread is now 15,000 posts long

17/10/2012 at 09:40

yes indeed well done plodmaster. I thought i was alone and the one near the back nice to speak to people who are like me. We will get faster we just need time and more training

17/10/2012 at 14:10

I've never seen plodmonster on here though. He's probably gone off to join the whippets on the sub-40 thread by now.

We, however, are carrying on his noble intentions. Raise your glasses (or teacup) to plodmonster and the pursuit of 59:59 ! 

17/10/2012 at 16:07
Afternoon all

Well sat in club with a latte (get me!!!) after just done 8k on treadmill in 45mins but was a struggle today as bloody deep set stich kicked in after 2k and didn't shift much!!! So annoying could still feel it a bit doing a few lengths of the pool afterwards.
I tried todo a bit of speed interval training in it trying desperatly to get speed up for longer.So I feel I deserve this frothy extravagent coffee and ten minutes peace before back to the madhouse!!
17/10/2012 at 16:26

Brenda, your right and it's good that some of us 'slower' peeps can display our improvements in a group like this

LOL Carpathius, I'm glad I arrived here and apart from my little sabbatical this thread inspires me when I'm feeling lazy.

Well done on running through your stitch Sam, sure you didn't have a latte before you ran? Am sat indoors with my version of a latte AND my new fav smoothie - fresh pineapple, banana, milk and honey - calorific

17/10/2012 at 16:58

Yes - I often spend some of my run mentally writing a post or a Fetch blog entry while out running. And I spend races mentally writing race reports! Wouldn't have that if it weren't for this thread.

Must start training for the Scenic 7 tomorrow. I've got very little time and the last time I ran 7 miles was probably HM training back in Feb! Most I've done since then is a 10k. I've been working out what I can fit in between now and then;

Tomorrow - 3 miles

Saturday 20 - 5 miles

Tuesday 23nd - 2 miles

1 week in Rhodes - couple of short runs

Thur 1st - 3 miles

Sat 3rd - 6 miles

Tues 6th - club session

Thurs 8th - pootle

Sun 11th - race

Yikes - that's not a lot! And might be difficult because I'm feeling rubbish (sore throat/earache/slight temperature). I might do tomorrow's three miles at the gym instead.

HM4
17/10/2012 at 19:06

Carpathius,

Dealing with running and other half can be a tricky balancing act.  Chris isn't too pleased at times when I set the alarm in the summer for parkruns, however having one only 20 min drive away is much better.  When I do go to the club because of working every other Saturday I've said to Chris that I won't go to the club on the weekends when I work and I only usually go once a month so we can both have a proper Sunday lie in. If you're

Brenda,

They say the party is always at the back of races !

17/10/2012 at 19:20

Hello everyone, cant beleive how much has been going on in my absence!

Have been injured, tried 4 k run on Monday and 6 k today, knee still sore, and got sore  toes  although no actual blisters have developed. My HM race is in 10 days and really not sure I am going to make it, am very depressed Have a physio appt on Sunday so Ill see what she says...

On a positve note I just got my results and got a commendation in my masters in law. And have just picked up brand new car, which I am in love with..  have to lmake the most of the good stuff!

17/10/2012 at 20:20
Hi Louise sorry your having such a rough time with the injurys nightmare!
Fingers crossed for the HM but really not worth putting yourself through it if it will make problems worse
Well done on your results

Hm4 yes i totally understand as much as I want to go out whenever I feel like a run it just ain't that easy is it, I got a 2 and a 3 yr old and a hubby to think of! Luckily he loves to road ride his bike with a club so beginning of week we end up working out who is going out when and who has the kids lol! It works for us without the guilt then lol

Andi I could understand if I had the frothy coffee before I'd deserve to be in pain lol!! Still feel where the ache was a bit even now :~ oh well one of those days going to try and get out for a swift 30 minute run/plod/sprint/jog....... Who knows which method I will adopt tommorow
17/10/2012 at 22:58

Hello peeps,

family, running, kids,  we also do a weekly planning and negotiation conversation about gym attendance, running schedule, child taxi services....but it does help if you have a slot that has been booked and another family member has had to make a sacrifice in order for you to attend a class or whatever, that is an incentive to go! However sometimes this backfires if we really dont feel like going and  we both 'protest too much' in a Scottish ladies in a tea shop style.

" you go tonight, I can go tomorrow.." "no, you said you wanted to run with that club, so you should do that, I will fetch the kids" "but that will mean you cant go to the gym until Thursday and I haven't spent much time with the kids today...you go" "No I think you should go" "I dont mind, you can go...." etc etc.

tomorrow is my last run before the half, a 30 minute easy one. I hope it will be (easy), my knee hurts a bit today but that is nothing unusual and doesn't affect the running.

Louise, many congrats on the Law Masters result, it is good when all the hard work gives you the result you want. I am planning a dissertation in my head on my long runs at the mo, working out thorny problems.

Carpathius, well done to you too on getting the exam done, hope you also get a good result.

I shall raise a small glass to plodmonster, this thread is a great place for support.

Chrissie, hope you are well enough to enjoy the run on Sunday.

Speedy G, keep spreading that positive vibe

18/10/2012 at 08:33

To all with children/families/jobs to juggle - hats off. Thankfully my children are older now so I don't have to worry about juggling them to fit in runs, but totally understand about husbands/partners not always being happy when "you are going out again" for a run or gym class.

Louise running a HM may not be wise with your current injuries, there will be plenty of others but I can totally understand where you are coming from. On a good note well done on your masters - its such a great feeling to pass

Chrissie sounds like you have been really through it the last couple of weeks hope you are feeling better now.

WTK good luck with your half, especially having to juggle so much to get your training in!!

Didn't go out with running club on Tuesday partly as I am fighting a sore throat and headachey feeling which has been there all week, but also because it was a 10k handicap race which only members were welcome to attend and as I am still not yet a member....

Instead I did a 2 mile easy run and I am planning a longer tempo run of 6 miles this evening depending on how I feel, this may be on my own or with friendlier club.

Decision made about my job I have yet to inform people though (am going back to clinical midwifery - will be losing a load of money in the process (sorepoint for hubby) but hopefully will regain my current grade within about 6 months! (fingers crossed)).

Speedy G as others have said you must keep posting on this thread to inspire us along our journeys to becoming speedier runners!

HM4
18/10/2012 at 09:55

Kate,

That sounds a complicated life.  Good luck with the half.

Lisa,

Good luck with the job, hope it works out well for you.

Louise,

A DNS (did not start) is better than a DNF.  I know it's going to be disappointing however if you end up making the injury/niggle worse it will take even longer for you to get back into the swing of things.

18/10/2012 at 12:45

Louise, congratulations on your commendation  as for the HM, rest and see how your niggles are (your training is already done) and I hope the physio can sort it all.

Thanks WTK, good luck Sunday!!

Samantha, how're you doing now?

Lisa, congratulations on the new job and getting back to the work you want

I'm still undecided about what to do tonight - need to do something and am feeling better than I was yesterday. Still have a sore throat but as the prevailing wisdom seems to be "if the symptoms are above the neck, go running" I think I'll go to the gym and try three miles on the treadmill later. DH has said he will come too so that neatly avoids any bad feelings. He can go use the other machines not just the treadmill if he doesn't feel like running.

I hope we don't bump into anyone I know though. It's hard to explain to non-runners that I didn't feel well enough to sit in a freezing building in front of a computer all day but I can spend 40 minutes running.

18/10/2012 at 18:57

Thank you everyone, for your congratulations and your commiserations! it is all very in the balance at the moment, but I am suspecting from the pain in my  knee today after yesterday that I might be out of the race, but will see what the physio says. I really dont want to exacerbate the problem and be off for weeks.

My daughter is 17 now, but I remember trying to stuff the gym in round child care - nto easy! without a doubt easier to train now. 

Carpathias I completely understand - I get paranoid going out doors when off sick but have been known to drive to the local park and run round it to avoid being seen on the road!

WTK good luck - hope you enjoy your race

18/10/2012 at 19:14
Evening all

Well I knocked the run on the head tonight that bad stich I had yesterday is still there so I obviously have pulled something on my left hand side and not a stich at al!!?? So annoyed But at least i have to have my pjs on cuppa and feet up earlier than normal lol.
18/10/2012 at 19:24

Sam what a PITA.

Hope it recovers soon and you get back on track, enjoy feet up time

HM4
18/10/2012 at 19:29

Sam,

Hope you recover soon.

18/10/2012 at 21:38

Louise can I make a suggestion put a knee support on your knee for a day or two and it may take enough of the pain out of it for it to feel stronger. Also just do some simple knee exercises when sitting on a chair. Worth a try to strengthen it and if I was you with all your hard work doen i would want to do the race.

Sounds like everyone is suffering one way or another probably due to change in weather and you really start to feel the difference going in and outdoors. So people lets be strong eat more bananas and nuts and a few vitamins and lets get running outside more and get rid of all the sore throats and other bugs.

Good luck to everyone with races coming up. brenda

18/10/2012 at 22:10

Hi all, WOW I keep missing lots and lots. Mr motivator here. Right guys and girls keep your spirits up, just keep thinking to yourself that the aches and pains are just simply part of the healing process. Brenda that is a great idea for Louise. My friend was training for the thanet marathon a short while ago and his knee was hurting so he wore a support and it defo helped.

Sam, yeah stitch is a real bitch and sometimes hard to shift but if you slow down and keep doing very deep slow controlled breathes it should go.

Louise, I hope things go well for your HM and don't be disappointed if you cant make it. Its not the end of the world. There is always another HM around the corner.

I think what we all need is a big group cuddle and then all the pain will go. LOL.

WTK, good luck on your HM. I want to hear all about it.

I managed to get out tonight for a 5.8 mile run and managed it in 47 mins dead and really felt good. So to motivate you all just remember age doesn't come into running and in time we do all get better and yes sometimes quicker than others but we all do get there. Yes we do go through a bit of pain along the way but keep saying to yourselves it will be worth it. You don't have to do a HM in a quick time, you just need to finish it. It doesn't even have to be a HM, a simple 5 or 10k race is a good place to be. Keep running 2-3 times a week and even when sometimes you feel a bit disappointed about your last run still make yourself go out and do something if only 2k. You will thank yourself when you get back and sit down to a nice hot cup of tea and think about how well you just did.

The hardest thing about progess is you do need to do quite a bit to get there. No effort results in no progress. Stick to running at your comfortable speeds and don't go too fast.

I have found in the last three weeks I have make massive progress and my 10k time has gone down from 58 mins to 48 mins in less than 6 months.

Just to motivate you a bit more the last 4 miles of my 12.5 mile run was in agony. I just kept telling myself I wont give in under no circumstances and I didn't. Mind over matter and all that.

I wish you all well this weekend guys and girls and keep going....

Oh by the way my running club is called sittingbourne striders and my new nickname at work is....... titchy strider. LOL.

18/10/2012 at 22:40

Just to let you all know that Plodmonster is a girl

Not been on for ages and so many new peeps can't possibly comment on them all.

Off to Palma tomorrow to do a Half on Sunday never been so badly prepared but just hoping to get round in one piece..

Good luck to Kate and Chrissie doing the Birmingham Half on Sunday!

I will read back!

15,001 to 15,020 of 16,079 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.