A new 10k in under 60 mins thread?

They're all too fast in the other thread!

15,021 to 15,040 of 16,079 messages
19/10/2012 at 10:00

Hi FP, have a good time at Palma

Brenda, love the advice, 'eat more bananas' I couldn't have said it better. I will need all your enthusiasm after this half to keep me running (or doing something, anything to keep me fit) as I always hit a big motivational dip after a race.

Sam and Louise hope the stitch and the knee resolve quickly.

Good luck with Sunday Chrissie

If any of you are in the West midlands region I will probably be on the radio on BBC WM shortly after 10am on Sunday morning plugging the charity I am running for. which is this one: this charity

Have a good weekend everyone, I look forward to hearing all about it, will post a race report when i can. currently more concerned with planning race day logistics than worrying about the running .

19/10/2012 at 13:52

Hi All

Not a very motivational post from me. I've had to pull out of HM on Sunday..... the infection is back in my face..... Been to docs this morning who has ruled exercise out for at least a week while I'm on my 3rd lot of antibiotics......  Gutted is not the word as I was soooooo looking forward to it. Had a very tearful morning.....

Good luck FP for Palma..... See you soon.....

Good luck WTK - I will be thinking of you.....

Hope everyone else's runs or races go well at the weekend.....

19/10/2012 at 13:55

ChrissieT don't be too disheartened I am sure the next HM is only around the corner.

I hope you get better soon.

Good Luck WTK!!!!

19/10/2012 at 14:00

Hugs Chrissie go online and find another hm there must be another one soon even if you have to travel further. Im doing a 10mile on Sunday and a bit scared have done several 10k but feeling wobbly can I manage the 10 miles. Any tips and advice gratefully received.

19/10/2012 at 14:09

Brenda, just a word of warning and this is not to put you off. 10 miles is and will feel alot longer than 6 miles. You need to start off very slow for the first few miles, say 3-4 just so you don't burn yourself out. Then if you feel comfortable at the pace you are jogging then see how you feel. Drink as when you need to.

Personally I would have done some practise runs. Say do the 6 miles one week, then the next week 7-8 miles and then 9-10 followed by the 10 race just to build yourself up.

But hey go for it. Does the course have many hills. Do you have access to the map my run of it so you can see the elevation and where the hills are.

Where is the 10 mile run?

19/10/2012 at 15:03
Well,
after reading about all your experiences and improvements with a club today I have bitten the bullet and contacted a running club I never knew existed and it's less than 2 miles away!

They meet on a Monday and a Friday pm Friday being the long run that would suit me. Fair play they emailed me back within ten minutes said my times ive been doing would fit in with a big group of the members really friendly email
But as you found out Louise you can never tell until you turn up and give it a go

Think I will give a go next week, i want to see improvements like speedy G is getting lol!!

if it wasn't for this ache in side still I might of considered going tonight as keen to give it a go.

Going to just attempt treadmill run tommorow at gym check this ache is not stopping me too much.

How is everyone else tonight? TGIF
19/10/2012 at 15:06

Sam, good move and yes you will improve very quickly. I hope that they are all friendly. Let us know how you get on. Looking forward to a few beers tonight. Can't drink saturday as I have the run on sunday.

19/10/2012 at 15:44
Yep nearly v+c time in my house may aswel as no run again tonight want to give it the extra day then go hell for leather tomoz treadmill and swimming I think fingers crossed
19/10/2012 at 19:48

Chrissie T I am so sorry, I am looking at havign to pull out of my HM so I know how you feel - but health is more important in the long run ( excuse the pun)

Sam I have inadvertantly found a running club at work, the person who runs it was on a course with me this week, she is fab and so supportive, and has got me an appointment with her physio this weekend on the off chance that she can do anything that will get me round my race ( for £30!)  I am definitely going to run with them after wards, this lady is like a private coach! She is a world famous psychiatrist as well, very inspiring!

HM4
19/10/2012 at 20:46

Louise,

Excellent about the running club, not so good about the half.  Hope the club works out okay & the physio can sort things out.

Chrissie,

Sorry to hear that.  They say things come in threes I think I may be the 3rd to pull out of a race.  I had a flu jab yesterday and apart from a sore arm I've got some of the other side effects so I'm not sure about the 10k on Sunday.  I know it's the club championships so if I end up pulling out it's going to be disappointing.

Brenda,

Go slowly & you'll be fine.

----------

Good luck with everyone's runs this weekend.

19/10/2012 at 20:50

Chrissie, how awful I'm so sorry you've had to pull out.

Flo Po, where've you been hiding - good luck for Palma on Sunday! I'm sure you'll be fine

Louise, I have fingers crossed for your knee.

WTK, good luck to you too

Hello to Brenda, Sam, Speedy G, HM4 - and any lurkers.

I may have just entered the Cambridge half on a whim

20/10/2012 at 06:46
Morning all

Chrissie hope you ok this morning and looking forward to booking a future race hopefully? It must be disheartening having to cancel an event you been training towards but there is no question health comes first there will always be another race round the corner x

Keen to get to gym this morning test out this bloody pain in side literally!! Hubs tee out for strut with dog already when he is back in escaping for couple hours.

I was going to ask the gym guys to give me a halfhouriah programme for core? Have many of you tried much training with these kettle balls really fancy a bit of that but need some instruction don't want to be swinging them around and getting nowhere lol.

How is everybody else's pains and bugs this morning?
20/10/2012 at 10:03

ChrissieT really sorry to hear your news especially as you have obviously been putting in lots of training, but as others have said there will be another HM around the corner and your health must come first (however I am feeling your pain).

Sam and Louise good luck with your clubs both sound really positive and friendly.

Louise fingers crossed that the physio may be able to work magic on your knee.

Sam it really sounds like you have pulled one of your transverse abdo muscles, are you doing lots of pilates or sits ups at the moment? It may be wise to give the kettle balls a miss whilst you still have the pain as it may exacerbate the problem?? 

Brenda good luck on your 10 mile race, hopefully the adrenaline and support of those watching will urge you round. Just take it at a nice easy pace and if you have to have a couple of walk breaks then so be it, after all if its your first 10 mile race then any time will be a PB.

Me, well I did a 6.5 mile tempo run on Thursday, pilates class Friday, and I have a LSR of about 9 miles planned for tomorrow. I am currently considering going out shortly for a 2-3 mile easy run that is if I can prise myself off of my backside!!

20/10/2012 at 11:27
Enjoyed an 8k at gym this morning and best of all felt no pain in side while running
spoke to a gym instructer about it as I did a fast core session class with him and he said the same Lisa could of been abdominal muscle(knew they where in there somewhere) anyway was cautious with core class but felt fine even with the fast sprints so final test 20 mins in pool all okey dokey hurrah!!!!

Delaying my return home to the kids with a coffee now!!!
Non planned run tomoz as hubby on 70 mile bike ride with club! BUT if it still fine weather may just have to have a quick 5k outside when he is back.
20/10/2012 at 12:09
Louise let us know outcome of physio? Race or no race.......
20/10/2012 at 15:56
Thanks for well wishes everyone. However things took another turn yesterday. Following my trip to docs I had a strange feeling in right side of face, my boss pointed out my right eye wasn't closing, tried to laugh at her and it felt all weird. She asked me to call docs back, they couldn't get me in so we visited walk in centre. I have been diagnosed with Bell's palsy which is a paralysis of one side of face. Have been given course of steroids. Recovery is approx 3 weeks to 3 months. Gutted. Have to re visit gp on Monday. I have metered another race but its a 10 miler on 9th December. Gives me a focus.

Brenda good luck with ur race

Good running Lisa hope the 9 miler goes well

Samantha glad the stomach is feeling better

Hi to anyone I missed, thanks again!
20/10/2012 at 16:17
Oh blimey Chrissie that is a nightmare!

I have had 2 friends with that one in pregnancy and lasted 2ish weeks only till gone other was bit longer I think but both completely fine again afterwards but stil doesn't help you dealing with it now! fingers crossed you only a couple more weeks max with it.

Great idea focus on December race now seems realistic if it takes a while to go for you.

Stay chatting with us on here stay focused on your goals
20/10/2012 at 17:23
My first 10k I did 1hr 7m. Next week I plan to do my second, and I'm hoping that I can smash the hour mark then. I won't be to beaten up by it if idiot, but I'm looking for a new pb!

The first one was so hard. Quite hilly so I was happy with that. I'm training for the London marathon so I'm trying to get as many small races in as I can before things get to serious. And I love collecting free t shirts
20/10/2012 at 17:52

Oh Chrissie what a nightmare! But you have take this seriously and look after yourself.

ran 6k today, knee was a little sore throughout but didnt get worse. Still all very up in the air for my HM next week, but looking forward to physio tomorrow.

Husband has his op tomorrow so have to be at the hospital for 7 am - yikes!

good luck Rachel x

20/10/2012 at 17:55

Can I just say how nice it is to chat here and see what everyone is up to and how they are coping with various problems along the way.

Rachel look forward to hearing how fast your next 10k is and well done entering the marathon im just building up to a hm next May. You seem to collect teeshirts I collect mugs on my 10ks would like a teeshirt for a change.

Oh Chrissie how aweful huge hugs and at least they know what it is and how to treat it and hopefully you can do your run in December.

I think we are good for each other and made me more determined that I can manage my 10 miles tomorrow and dont care if Im last its the distance i need to do to get a step further towards hm.

Have a good weekend all  Brenda

15,021 to 15,040 of 16,079 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.