A new 10k in under 60 mins thread?

They're all too fast in the other thread!

15,121 to 15,140 of 16,077 messages
02/11/2012 at 19:51
Well done Graham
Louise, Lisa Hope all is more positive tonight for you?? Positive vibes coming your way from Swansea

Tonight had the gyms fun mini tri was a great laugh and a fab medal to boot so all good it made me sprint hard on treadmill as I was in a group of 3 me and 2 guys prob late 20's so no way was I gonna let them beat me on the sprint treadmill to be fair we all finished that part within 10 seconds of each other . ( good job it was only 2k might of been a different story any longer). Bike was ok but proved to me I need to improve my leg strength as sprinting last 2 k was killing me!! Then really enjoyed the lengths in the pool.

Proves doing something bit different for training works for me as I'm all positive to get out tomoz early for LSR ( as long as not still bloody hailing)

Voddie and coke now seeing as its a Friday then happy weekend all x
02/11/2012 at 20:08

Louise! so sorry about the sad news and hope things are a little better today? (well done on the HM btw).

Sam, a mini tri today - what next for tomorrow lol - and well done!

Lisa, hope things are better for you now? and a remarkable story about the ventilator! (fingers crossed for you all).

Whats this I read? Our very own Mr Speedy slacking and taking a weekend off to drink beer? A true 'athlete' would do a couple of recovery pace runs to tick over

Went out for the first time in 10 days today,took things nice and slow and managed to complete 2k on my hilly route before my back gave in and I had to pull up (never managed 2k non stop on this route before, total ascent is almost 100 metres according to Garmin). I tried to jog 500 metres but back was really sore so came home. 5k in 37 minutes and about where I was 3 months ago! More excercises tonight and hope things improve tomorrow

02/11/2012 at 20:28
Andi chin up, the fact is you still at it training and doing a dam sight more than most people don't mess around with your back those hills still be there next week!

Btw a mini tri was only 2 k treadmill sprint 5k bike and 8!lengths of pool (found tis the worst at the end tbh) was great experience dashsing around with marker pen on my hand lol
02/11/2012 at 20:33

Txs Sam, have had this bad back for about 15yrs now so have learnt to live with it (operation to remove part of a disc and its innerds didn't help either).

And a mini tri is just a stepping stone to a full blown one lol

02/11/2012 at 20:37
Hmm not sure I fancy the outdoor version and unheated waters I like a it of comforts never say never watch this space
03/11/2012 at 13:37

Hugs to everyone hope you all have a good weekend. Can i just ask what your current times are for a 10k as you all seem to be doing a mixture of things at the moment?

A tip from a top marathon runner eat a malt loaf the night before a big race and some people I know say it really helps.

How fast do you all run over 5k please. like to know these things just for guidance.?

Thank you brenda

03/11/2012 at 14:09

Sam, shall save your last post so I can say "I told you so" next year lol.

Hi Brenda, I've not run a 10k (yet) so no time but targeting a 60 minute run (though 65+ might be more realistic). Only ever done 2 5k's a couple of years ago and 28:42 is my best time.

03/11/2012 at 14:11

Hi Brenda, I run 5k in around 23-24 mins and 10k is around 48 mins.

Im thinking anything between 25-35 mins for a 5k and 50-70 mins for 10k for good to average run times but I wouldn't worry too much about times. The main thing is you finish your first one to get a base time and work from there. Every 5k or 10k race will be different especially if some have small and big hills.

Im not sure about the meat loaf thing but I eat a big bowl of pasta the night before.

HM4
03/11/2012 at 15:07

Andi,

Well done.

Sam,

I wouldn't fancy an outdoor tri unless it was a team tri & I did the running leg.

Brenda,

My 5k pb is 29:28.  When I'm training an easy 5k for me is about 33-35 min.

03/11/2012 at 15:58

Thanks Graham knew you would be quite fast. I run parkrun regularly and have done several 10ks. I only started running at beginning of year have got my parkrun to 32 mins and my best 10k has been 67 mins but as you say its always different. Just been out and done a 10k around me here in 71 mins which isnt bad as lots of roads to cross before i get to best bits. i should add just had my 60th birthday and never thought I could or would run but do enjoy the parkrun community.

Thanks HM4 i would like to get to 30 mins with my 5k and trying hard.

Thanks Andi just nice to know where everyone is with their times.

03/11/2012 at 16:03
Hi all

Brenda I'm averaging about 27-28 mins for a 5 k and 10k still around 60-62 mins not done 10k recently always just below that . I have a race in 2 weeks so will get a better idea of where I am for the 10k distance

Had a 6k ish run this morning felt great today average speed was 11k/hr
03/11/2012 at 19:39

Brenda, my last 5k a month or so ago was 27 mins. 10k trail race back in September was 55 mins. I too have a road 10k on 18th Nov am hoping to run it sub 55, but that depends on a few factors.

10 mile LSR planned for tomorrow all being well - I am hoping to go off road to test my new trail shoes

03/11/2012 at 20:38

Louise, I hope your little dog is OK - what an awful thing to happen

Lisa, I'm sorry to hear your relative is so poorly.

I can't reply to you all now as there's about four pages to go through - I couldn't get much net access on holiday.

We had a great time but my planned training for the 7-miler next Sunday has taken a big hit. Firstly because I had to abandon my second run while in Greece because I slammed my thigh into a rock while swimming and couldn't even walk up and down stairs properly (it's OK now except for a massive bruise and some cuts) and as soon as we landed Wednesday night I was coughing and by Thursday I was properly ill and have been in bed ever since with a chest infection. I'm still hoping to make the race but it won't be a good time.

Still, it could have been worse -  could have picked up the infection on the way there instead!

HM4
04/11/2012 at 08:07

(((Carpathius)))

Hope you feel better soon.

Lisa,

Enjoy the shoes.  Hope it's not too wet.

04/11/2012 at 16:38

Hi all,

Louise that was a great half mara time, like the others I hope the dog is ok.

and Lisa, thoughts to you and yours too.

talk of 10k times reminds me that mid half marathon as we were running past the 10k mark, my running pal looked at his watch and said "what did you say was your 10k time?" with a big grin, I (assuming marker post and clock correct) had just beaten it by 2mins. I know it isn't an official time but the timing was good if you know what I mean.

I've been for a short run but am going to focus on more family friendly exercise and distances (ie no more disappearing all morning on LSR's, more muddy walks and taking the kids swimming).

04/11/2012 at 17:18

Hi everyone, I'm about to go for my first run since I re-hurt my foot -  it's been I guess 8 weeks.  We've just come back from holidaying in the Lake District - plenty of walking in supportive boots but no running.  The foot's not totally fixed, but is feeling a lot better.  I've had some trouble after overstretching my achilles too, just to compund matters.  I bought some new super supportive 'motion control' shoes and I intend to build up mega slow - just 1 mile every two days to begin with and nothing faster than 10 mins/mile until I'm right back up to a decent mileage.  The diet went out of the window last week on holiday, but I've been sticking with it well and expect it to start paying off now that I'll be running again (hopefully!!)  - wish me luck!

Hope you're all ok and the running is going well - I will catch up with the last few pages when I get some time

EDIT

Just back from my little jog.  I found it hard to stay at my intended pace, but I guess as long as I'm trying to achieve 10 min/mi then at least it means I'm not charging away.  It was very difficult to figure out a comfortable stride. It was my first time running with those modified orthotics but I can't shake the feeling that the orthotics are doing more harm than good - they hurt my arches so I end up running on my toes so as not to put my arch down, which is surely only going to lead to more calf tightness and problems.  I think I'll try the insoles the shoes came with next time, see if the 'special shoes' are good enough on their own.  The good news is I felt fit enough - no feeling of being right back to the start and having to learn to breathe again - I cruised round the mile, didn't really feel out of breath or uncomfortable at all.

Target for this week:  3 miles!

Edited: 04/11/2012 at 18:16
HM4
04/11/2012 at 18:20

Daveo,

Well done.

04/11/2012 at 18:54

Daveo well done on getting back out there and hope that your recovery is swift.

8.5 mile trail run completed this morning. Running through puddles and mud, up and down hills made me feel very much like a child again, but I absoloutely loved it. New trainers felt great should have taken before and after photo's though, they are now drying out in airing cupboard and will hopefully brush off most of the mud once dry! Am sure my legs will ache tomorrow because of all the hills .

Pilates again tomorrow night to give my legs a rest!

04/11/2012 at 20:10

Sam, well done on yesterdays run

Lisa, glad you enjoyed the run in your new shoes and lol at running through puddles - lets hope they dry out/brush up in time for your next run! (I hope things are better with your relative now)

Ouch Carpathius, that sounds painfull and hope you have a speedy recover for your leg and chest. One good point is if things clear up you'll probably not be any less ready than if did run on holiday as you have already banked your training miles

WTK, it's good to remember your family comes first but do save some 'me' time for your training.

Daveo, glad your back on your feet! Yes, take it easy for your return and I hope you get the inserts right for your feet soon.

Didn't go out yesterday as my back was still bad and though it has eased a little today just did 30 minutes of back excercises then 30 mins with light resistance band. Back feels easier tonight so may venture out for 5 miles tomorrow.

Oh, forgot to say, when I went out the other day on the hilly route and did the first 2k without a walk break my max HR was 186! that's 10bpm higher than it's ever been and 6bpm faster than I had for my MAX! Need to adjust my zones methinks

05/11/2012 at 18:40

Hello everyone, no rinning for me sine HM as had a cold like virus over the weekend, hoping to run tommorro. My physio has told me I have to keep my HM distance up before christmas, an then gradually start increasign the lsrs next year for the marathon - and there was me thnking I could have a rest!

Little dog is doing well thankyou, I cant beleive what a lucky little dog he is!

Well done on all the running everyone, and thank you Kate.

Andi hope back improves, good luck Dave and hope you feel better soon Carpathias!

15,121 to 15,140 of 16,077 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.