A new 10k in under 60 mins thread?

They're all too fast in the other thread!

15,161 to 15,180 of 16,079 messages
09/11/2012 at 20:52

Been a Runnersworld reader for some time now but only just cottoned onto the forum. I've also been parkrunning for a few years now at Richmond and Gunnersbury. Which parkrun do you go to Lisa123? Sorry to hear about your grandad but running should help you feel better about it.

09/11/2012 at 22:59

Lisa, so sorry you've lost your grandad Hope you're okay.

Hi Becky, welcome

7th skip, well done

Dave, I have my fingers crossed for your next run.

Andi, that's good news about your back. 

I still have a horrible cough and blocked nose/ears and I developed a headache yesterday which still hasn't gone away. Painkillers don't help which is really odd because I so rarely take them. I didn't go out for the three miles I had planned last night; I went to lie down in a dark room.

Today's 11-hour shift (with the headache) means I can't run today either. I don't think there's any chance I'll be running Sunday.

Still planning on parkrun tomorrow morning though, I need to get out there. Won't be very fast though!

10/11/2012 at 06:50
Morning all

Becky welcome you will love this thread everyone helps keep each other motivated

Lisa so sorry about your Grandad big hugs for your family sad times

Andi great news back seems improved, stupid technology don't know why we rely on it! Lol

Carpathius I hate the bugs around this time of year they just go on and on and on fingers crossed you on the last leg of it now!
Dave hope the next time out is pain free nightmare.

Well hubby joined the gym that girls and I go to yesterday as he has entered a monster dragon bike ride inear us in Wales next June and feels he needs some other training so I can see us fighting over time out the house again soon to train he he . No sure will be fine girls where chuffed yesterday as dad came to meet them at club so we could all swim together small things that mean so much to little ins

Well this morning I get few hours by myself so plan a run and a longish swim in peace thank god for the weekend

Was anybody racing this weekend? I've lost track. I have my 10k Morunning next Sunday and think Graham and a couple more of you also had races next Sunday but not sure about this weekend. If anyone is good luck
HM4
10/11/2012 at 07:50

(((Lisa)))

Sorry to hear about your Grandad.  Running can be a source of escape however if you don't feel like running then go with how you feel.

HM4
10/11/2012 at 07:55

Becky,

Hi & welcome to the thread.

Carpathius,

Hope you feel better soon.  Good luck with the parkun.

Sam,

That sounds like fun for you hurbby !  No running from me as I've got a really bad sore throat and blocked sinus at the mo.  It's meant that I've not been on the phones (work in a call centre) for 5 days (however I did manage 1.5hrs on the phones yesterday).

10/11/2012 at 10:47

(((HM4))) Hope that gets better soon.

Sam, it's always good when you can do stuff together.

I ran deliberately slowly this morning and it felt so good to be running again! There were also several club members there who basically told me I'd be fine tomorrow and to stop being a nancy about it  I actually felt better running than I do standing around, while I was moving my cough didn't appear. So I am very happy indeed!

10/11/2012 at 12:01

Hi again all, well this time tomorrow i should be finish or close to finishing my first 10k trail in beckenham! anyone else running the same race?

10/11/2012 at 18:32

7th Skip, well done and fingers crossed the injury doesn't flare up again, take it easy for a couple of weeks now

Lisa, hugs and condolences to you and your family. Some 'you' time and running alone with your thoughts might be a good thing.

Hi BeckyS and welcome to your newly found corner of RW

Carpathius, am sorry things havn't totally cleared up, have you decided about the race tomorrow yet? I sometimes feel better when I'm out and not moping around at home if I'm feeling under the weather so it may help you?

Sam, I hope you all get a decent family discout at the gym?  Sounds like the Perrott family are all super fit

HM4, I hope things clear up quickly for you and your back to peak fitness

Andrew, get an early night and good luck for tomorrow! Don't forget the race review tomorrow

My back still feels good thanks but must keep up with the exercises just in case. Went out for 8k this afternoon during a break in the heavy rain but had stupidly had a fag about 30 mins before so struggled quite a bit and rather than take walk breaks I ended up stopping to catch my breath up the hilly sections. 58 mins (not counting the couple of minutes not moving) so although slow wasn't as bad as I'd thought.

10/11/2012 at 18:52
Thanks Andi I will let you all know how I get on!
10/11/2012 at 19:25

HM4 I hope that you start to feel a bit better soon, there is lots of nasties going round at the moment.

Carpathius well done on your run this morning, I take it you have taken the decision to race tomorrow then

Andi good news on the back front (if that makes sense!!). 8k + hills sounds like fun.

Andrew good luck on your trail race tomorrow, I did look at this race as I really enjoy off-road running but felt it was a bit close to the race I have booked for next Sunday. Looking forward to a post race review though

Parkrun for me this morning (Becky Tilgate is my local) and a PB at 26.33, pleased with that as I was hoping to get a sub 27 min run, the glutes are aching a bit now though!

Curry and wine for me tonight.

Edited: 10/11/2012 at 19:26
10/11/2012 at 20:07

Lisa, yes, it makes perfect sense to me thanks and, I now know the secret of your motivation!

PB=Curry and Wine 

Might try that myself lol

10/11/2012 at 21:35

Thanks for the encouragement folks   A tentative thumbs up today - we walked our proposed route and then ran 1 lap so about 5km walk + 1 mile run.  Foot was sore to stretch out this morning but the run felt absolutely fine.  Left leg below the knee variously complaining this afternoon, but I hope if I take it steady I'm gonna be ok

Congrats on the 5k pb Lisa, that's really going in the right direction

HM4
11/11/2012 at 07:19

Thanks guys.  Seems like everyone's training is going well.

------

Lisa,

Wel done.  That sounds really quick.

11/11/2012 at 16:59

Blimey do many posts in such a short time! Hello everyone!

Lisa I am sorry to hear your news, look after yourself.

Daveo sounds like it is going ok keep it up!

Littel dog doing so well, he is allowed o lead walks now ( but still on the lead in the house also) - but the vet is really pleased with his progress

I did a very slow 15k today, was lovely running weather and I really enjoyed it, and no pain from knee at all

11/11/2012 at 21:24

1 mile again this afternoon.  I didn't take my garmin, made it all the way round, probably was running a bit faster cos I sweated and was out of breath by the end.  A little twinge from the foot right at the end, but it feels ok now.

I envy you being able to run 15k Louise!

11/11/2012 at 21:32

ok, I answered my own question today..... Is a trail run harder than a road run?..... Answer YES!!!  

With a road run I can get in to a rhythm, relax and listen to my music!

With a trail run with wet muddy ground you just cant, you have to be with it at all times!

Having said this, I loved it! there is something about running though muddy puddles that put a smile on my face!  

Finished with a time of  1:06.14 so very pleased with that!

just got to book my next run now!

12/11/2012 at 00:07
Hello! Can I join? I'm not really a beginner, more of a returner!

I did my first parkrun last week in 31.14, and am building for a 10k in Christchurch, Dorset on 9th Decmber. I know I can run the distance but the time might not be great...
12/11/2012 at 06:07

Hi all. Not been on here for a while. Did my normal club run on tuesday which was great and managed 5.9 miles in 45 mins with avg 7.47 min/miles and then did a 10 mile run on saturday in 1 hr 19 min with an avg 8.15 min/miles so really pleased with that too.

I didi my first kent league cross country in swanley yesterday. Very different for sure and much harder than running on the road. Worked out a 5 mile course and 3 laps. Did it in 42 mins 40 secs. Avg 8.6 min/miles.

I have deal kent fitness league next sunday followed by another one the next sunday and then finish off with the Thanet 10 mile run.

One thing I won't be doing next week is a 10 mile run the day before and drink 7 vodka and cokes the night before LOL.

12/11/2012 at 09:21

Hiya holeymoley (great name!). Come on in, you'll be right at home. Good luck for your 10k plans, sounds like you'll do fine. Maybe you won't get sub-60 on your first one but then what would we aim for

Blimey Speedy G, you just get faster. You'll be banished to the sub-40 thread if you're not careful

Well done Andrew, trail running sounds like fun - and a good way to ruin trainers! You'll have to do better than that with race reports though - we want details!

Daveo, that's progress though. Still keeping my fingers crossed for your foot.

Louise, that's really good news about your dog. He'll be running with you in no time.

Lisa, congratulations on your PB. That's a really good time, we'll have to rename you Speedy L now.

I did run yesterday, but very slowly - time was 1:20:15 for seven miles which is quite a lot slower than I would have liked normally but considering I nearly didn't race at all I'm OK with it. I don't half ache this morning though!

Race report coming up...

12/11/2012 at 09:25

Scenic 7

I haven't run that far since about February so decided that it was just going to be a slow plod. We were actually in the loos when the call came to move down to the start line so we shot out and found the rest of the field in the car park round the corner. We observed the two minute silence and then moved to the start line on the road. We were jogging towards the part of the road (as was everyone around us) that looked as if it might be the start when a faint whistle went and I said to my mum 'was that the start?'. It was, except we hadn't got there yet - I'm not sure this rolling start lark is going to catch on.
There were impatient car drivers behind us already, and I thought 'Yeah, good luck with getting down here any time soon' because the runners filled up the road pretty nicely. We were on a country lane by now (it's not called Scenic for nothing) and it was a long downhill stretch, not too steep to jog down but plenty steep enough to feel gravity doing it's bit. It would have been nicer if I hadn't looked at the course map and knew that we'd be coming back up at the end!
I thought I was at the back but heard a marshall call to another 'only a couple more now Barry' so I knew there were at least two behind me. I'd passed the first mile marker and felt fine but was starting to wonder out loud where the second one had got to, and another lady said she thought we ought to have passed it by now; but no, there it was up ahead. We nattered away because she'd slowed a bit and I'd sped up a bit and the third mile marker arrived fairly quickly - my companion wondered where it was about two minutes later and was very chuffed to hear we'd passed it. I was running happily and easily and decided that I wasn't going to push, even though I could have gone faster, and so stayed with my new companion. Mile 4 came, and then I suddenly remembered that there was supposed to be a Horrid Hill just ahead, and there was a hill but it wasn't all that horrid, it just went on a bit (like me). Just past the 4 mile mark and I was wondering what the time was (My sister had forgotten her watch and was really annoyed - she uses it to pace - so since I was just going to pootle round I'd lent her mine). I do like knowing what the elapsed time is but was quite shocked to hear that it had been 50 minutes already!

We found the six mile marker and my companion said she thought we could do 1:15, to which I privately thought 'not up that bloody hill we won't' but we did speed up a little bit. I actually thought we weren't going to make 1:20 and then decided it didn't matter anyway since I nearly hadn't run at all and it was a beautiful day.
I was therefore slightly annoyed to round the final corner and see the finishing funnel ahead and the big clock which said "01:19:54" and realised that unless I turned into Superman, able to clear hundreds of yards in a single leap, I wasn't going to get there within six seconds. I think I made it in 1:20:10 in the end although official chip timing says 1:20:15.9. Since there was no sign of a timing mat at the start (just at the finish) I think they took the start time from the whistle which means it was a little faster because we were still jogging towards the start when it went. I don't think it was 16 seconds of faster but it might have been.
It was a great race, and I'm very glad I did it. And it turns out there were three behind me!

15,161 to 15,180 of 16,079 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.