A new 10k in under 60 mins thread?

They're all too fast in the other thread!

15,201 to 15,220 of 16,077 messages
13/11/2012 at 21:22

hehe,  have a BinL from NucAAstle and he call everybody hen or pet

Not a happy bunny tonight, my raw toes on my left foot were the same as usual but have rubbed some skin off my right little toe and when I limped home I was expecting to see a pool of blood in my shoe but it's just a patch of skin the size of my little finger nail thats rubbed off - hurts like heck mind Managed 10k in 76 minutes but it wasn't enjoyable. My shoes are the right size and slimmer than my old ones (narrow feet) would doing my laces up tighter help do you think? 

13/11/2012 at 22:09
Ouch, that sounds nasty. No idea with the laces, sorry pet...(no, it doesn't sound right, I'm from sath lundun mate)

Rest day today. Did some resistance work instead. I hate press ups...
14/11/2012 at 00:05

lol holeymoley (holeymoley is my word of the week!)

As for pressups yes, they are a pain  I've started doing them on my knees as I've not done them for a while. And woohoo, hit my target of holding a plank for 60 seconds tonight so had 4 beers to celebrate lol.

HM4
14/11/2012 at 19:39

Andi,

Ouch, have you thought about elastic laces?  I had a few problems with my shoes and that sorted the problem out.  Well done on your plank target.

14/11/2012 at 19:46

4 beers! Andi, it doesn't count as a plank if you're propped up on a beer gut y'know

14/11/2012 at 20:24
Today's run was 45 mins, no idea on distance (I really want a garmin!). It was with my faster friend, we did 10 mins warm up (hilly but slow, followed by 6 x 1 min hill sprints (well, hers were sprints, it was steep so I was just glad to get up...) followed by 20 mins tempo. HRM read a peak of 174 BPM, a number I haven't seen before!
14/11/2012 at 20:41

Carpathius hahaha

Holeymoley that sounds like a good workout, well done for completing it!

Well I have a just had a rubbish training session. Decided to go to a club interval session tonight (not my usual club, this club has 'ac' in the title - so proper like!! ). Session involved running 12 x 400m with 1 min recovery after each one. Only managed 7 of 12 and 2 of those involved 2 mins recovery rather then the one. This session highlighted to me all the reasons that I have avoided intervals till now. What to do now, do I keep going along to these sessions in the hope that I improve greatly, or shall I just continue to bury my head in the sand at the mere thought of them?

Brighton 10k on Sunday so will probably have a couple of easy runs between now and then, as to be quite honest now that I am home I don't feel like I have run anything this evening, let alone undertaken (attempted) a speed session. Think that a lot of it is psychological as at the time it feel tough . Oh well tomorrow is another day!!

14/11/2012 at 20:56

Club tonight was a bit of a disaster - I went with the slow group but couldn't run up the hills, couldn't keep up - I wanted to stop after 2 miles but I didn't know where I was so had to drag myself round the last 3, everybody having to wait for me all the time   Foot's no better, heel's still painful and my calf/shin thing has raised its ugly head again.

14/11/2012 at 21:42
Lisa123, I'm no expert, but i only run 2-3 times a week at the moment and the only reason i'm improving, I'm sure, is because of the quality of those runs. I do a sprint or hill repeat every week, even though I prefer running at a steady pace, but I know it pays dividends for me, as does resistance training.

It does depend on your goals, but if you want to increase your speed I'd say yes, go again. 7 repeats you did sound awesome - you should be chuffed!
Edited: 14/11/2012 at 21:43
14/11/2012 at 22:28

((((Daveo))))

That sounded horrible  Don't despair too much though - you've been out for a while and 5 miles may have been a bit much. Your legs and feet will probably sulk for a few days but hopefully you can make a pact with them - you'll play nice and start slowly, observing the 10% rule and they will behave themselves.

Lisa, you can't expect to ace the sort of interval session you've been studiously ignoring up to now. I think 7 reps sounded fab for an intervals noob; get thy head out of the the sandpit and start doing them regularly!

I wish my club did stuff like that - track intervals and such - but I don't think it does.

No running today but I have been cycling to and from work again. I had been dead impressed that I could just throw out a 5k run, a 7 mile run and a club session in the space of four days after 2.5 weeks off (albeit slower than my usual pace) but for some reason the bloody bike is defeating me. I'm using my usual gears for the same commute I've been doing for 2 years now but the last few times I've cycled I've felt like the bike was made of cement and my legs were made of lead-encased rubber. I even got off and walked up a bit which is barely an incline and which I've been managing to cycle up for ages!

14/11/2012 at 23:49

H, Heather, Helen, Pet, good call on the laces, have just ordered a pair to try, neo yellow so they should match the orange shoes nicely lol

Very good Carpathius but yes, need to do something about my beer belly as its bigger than my chest now! if the cycling stays as an issue why not use a lighter gear and put up with the walk breaks for a bit, you might just be going through a bad spell

Sounds like a good workout holemoley but a max of 174? I've reached that on my slow runs!!! And yes, provided they don't take over your running a Garmin (or another GPS watch) can really help your training imho.

Lisa, sounds like a tough workout but think you should do the same workout again to see if you get faster? Good luck on the 10k and yes, time to relax with just a couple of easy runs before Sunday

Daveo, coming back from injury do as Carpathius suggests and go slow increasing gradually (though yes, easier said than done lol).

15/11/2012 at 08:54

Daveo I am really sorry to hear your news but as Carpathius and Andi suggests taking it slowly as you are coming back from injury is the best way (although I can appreciate how frustrating it must feel almost having to start up from scratch again). Just going off on a tangent here but have you looked into minimalist/barefoot trainers/running, as the more i read up on this subject the more it looks like it makes sense - please feel free to disagree.

Andi its amazing the colours that we wear when we run, be it trainers or clothing. Generally I wouldn't dare to be seen outside of my home in some of the colours I throw together to go out for a run. Yellow laces and orange trainers why not!

Can't comment on cycling as only do this when I am on holiday - never can get my head around which gear to be in etc.

Holeymoley thanks for your advice. I currently run about 4 times per week, a LSR a couple of easier runs and a tempo run. My LSR and Tempo generally include some hills but I haven't been 'sprinting' so maybe thats where I need to make some changes. I also do pilates 2 per week and an odd Body Balance class when I can for strength and conditioning. Perhaps I need to reassess my training...

Analysing my session last night, I think that I put too much pressure on myself to perform, especially as I decided to do this session with a club that I had never run with before and whose members are often placed very highly (top 10) in races. For example a couple of the guys are racing on Sunday and are hoping for and will get a sub 32 min 10k, the women are hoping for a sub 40 min. Whereas I am hoping for sub 55 mins. TBH I am surprised how friendly they were after my awful performance maybe it was pity!! 

I only tried this club as the one that I have been going along too for the last few weeks has no real structure to their training ie: hills or speed, and therefore I am not sure that I will make the improvements that I want.  Why do I make running so complicated!!

Anyway sorry for the massive self indulgent post/rambling . I promise to keep them shorter in future.

15/11/2012 at 10:34
Davao, Lisa sorry you had a rough week so far . Lisa I think I sound very similar to you in the fact I've 'avoided' that type of training as I know gonna hurt like hell but as holeymoley said I now know is the only way I'm going to improve my speed or endurance. I feel I can run for hours on the dead flat now lol but a little bump or 2 and I'm whacked out!! I HAVE to improve.

Race day for me on Sunday aswel getting the nerves a bit already!!!!
I have a week in centre parcs from next Monday to Friday so lots of walking but no running so glad got a good race day before then can pig out for few days
15/11/2012 at 17:38

Thanks for the support guys - I feel a bit better about it today - it's still early days and that group was obviously too much for me.  A few days off and I'll go back to my 1 milers on the flat until I'm ready

15/11/2012 at 18:20
Andy - you may reach those lofty heart rate heights regularly, but my heart appears to be set to go slow....recovery run today I only touched 140bpm once, and that was up a hill.

Lisa123, ramble away. I hate feeling under pressure when I run, and when I run with slower buddies I don't go in front so they can dictate the pace.
HM4
15/11/2012 at 18:24

Andi,

Just because I said I'd answer to more or less anything there's no need to call me 4 different names !

Holeymoley,

I only run 2-3 times per week.  You can get some good results from it.

-----------

Well done on everyone's training.

15/11/2012 at 18:25
Today's workouts (yes plural, rare for me!) were a p90x back and biceps DVD (50 mins) and a core workout (16 mins) before work and a 40 min recovery run after work. I think a rest day is in order tomorrow...
15/11/2012 at 19:08

Blimey Ive been away too long, so many posts! Sounds like a lot of good running.

Welcome Holey Moley. Did 6k on treadmill in 36 minutes yesterday and was very plesed with that. Hpoing to run tomorrow morning if I can shift myself out of bed. Amm trying to fit running in with riding my horse which is a challenge in the dark.

Little dog still making progress

HM4
15/11/2012 at 19:18

Louise,

Great news regarding the dog.  Have you thought about using a head torch when running?

15/11/2012 at 19:42

Is street lit round my way so I just need ot big up and brave it! clealry that doesnt help with the horse riding though lol. Although there is a lit school so no excuse really, just need to keep motivated! x

15,201 to 15,220 of 16,077 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.