A new 10k in under 60 mins thread?

They're all too fast in the other thread!

15,221 to 15,240 of 16,077 messages
15/11/2012 at 19:52

lol Lisa and yes, daytime wear tends to be dull colours here but when I'm running anything goes! Now is dark most of the day I'm normally in the orange trainers, leggins, bright red/green/yellow shorts and have many bright jackets though my Gore Jacket with reflective strips in my fav. The most important items are the headtorch and a flourescent bib with the builders reflective strips - cars stop on the spot when they see me ambling along lol.

As for your club session, try and remember how you felt when you started running and I'm sure in a years time you'll be looking back at your first club session and see how you have improved so stick at it

Sam, sounds like a week in Centre Parcs is good motive to perform well on Sunday

Holeymoley, apart from genetics your obviously much fitter than me so can perform better at a lower HR - I must train harder Sounds like your really going for it with your training! I just got some resistance bands, primarily to strengthen my back but hope to use them to help get in shape eventually.

lol HM4, just wanted to make sure I got your name right at least once My Dad still can't get his kids names right and think the problem runs in the family

Louise, well done on the run and am glad little doggy continues to improve What is it and whats it's name?

After last weeks issues with my ability to use the Garmin I re programmed it and went back to my little hill, 1k there then 11*30 sec runs with a rest on the way back down and 2k back home. It got hard toward the end and wasn't concentrating cos it was only supposed to be 10 reps. I was going between 90-100 metres in 30 seconds on a 15 metre incline so plenty of room for improvement and only another 10 metres or so and I'd be at the top so a goal for the next few weeks before moving to a 'proper' hill

15/11/2012 at 20:32

Andi -little dog is a jack russell called Toby. He has just climbed the stairs which isnt really allowed at this stage in his recovery, but very hard telling a dog not to overdo it.

Sounds like good running to me Andi, Im still a little averse to hills !

15/11/2012 at 21:29

Well, "Hello Toby" and yes, must be hard to try and keep him from overdoing things!

Hills are a way of life here and its a pleasure to get a couple of hundred metres of flat terrain if I can find it so guess I'd best get to like them

16/11/2012 at 06:51

up and off for morning run, I made it!

16/11/2012 at 08:41

7km nice and comfy, now for work

16/11/2012 at 10:04

Well done Louise! I'm going to have to move the snooze button further away as I've still not made it out early morning

16/11/2012 at 14:58
Well done Louise great way to start the day! I'd love to go out early before hubby goes to work but he leaves at 6.45 and my girls Norma,ly up and down at night so would have to leave house about 5.30 for a decent time out uchhhhhh

No running tonight friends 30th so calling over there for an hour but no drinking my body is a temple ( she says while munching on the kids pudsy bear biscuits!!) well until after Sundays race then off to a friends christening followed by the start of a week indulging I hope
Gentle swim I think and stretching tomorrow race Sunday. Will get race report in before me hols
HM4
16/11/2012 at 19:58

Louise,

Well done.

Sam,

Good luck with the race.

Andi,

Well done.

17/11/2012 at 18:24

Sam, any cracks in the temple? Get yourself a high carb dinner and early night tonight then good luck for tomorrow and your restfull week to come

Txs HM4

I had a bad night last night and ended up staying up later than planned with too many beers and struggled to go out today thinking of reasons why I should stay in the warm. I had planned a 12k run but after struggling to the 5k marker got caught in a hail storm so turned round and it stayed with me for almost 3k. Made it home in 1:12:08 and whilst slower than I'd hoped it was actually 2 seconds faster than my previous best!

I really need to get 10k below 70 minutes soon else a 60 min 10k at the end of Jan just won't happen even with the rush from a race

Garmin tells me the total incline was 377 metres but of course the decline was the same so swings and roundabouts lol. I'd guess there is less than 1k on the flat on this route.

HM4
17/11/2012 at 19:14

Andi,

Well done.  Sounds a nightmare run.

17/11/2012 at 19:43

txs HM4 was a hard run but am glad I forced myself out in th end

Oh, just took a look at my garmin.connect and using the same information from the watch it is saying the total incline was 723 feet, thats 220 metres yet my training centre using the same data says it was 337 metres  - thats a very large difference so well confused now

18/11/2012 at 00:06

Louise, good for Toby - he sounds as bad as any runner for injury recovery! Well done on your morning run. I have utmost respect for people who get up and go early.

Andi, well done, always feels better once it's over and I have never once regretted going out once I'm back if you see what I mean.

Sam, good luck tomorrow.

Lisa, weird what we'll wear in the name of running. I wouldn't be caught dead in leggings normally.

I went to Norwich parkrun this morning as we had a parkrun regional meeting there anyway and Ipswich was cancelled (minor matter of a dead body near the course on Thursday, police not happy about the idea of a herd trampling through the crime scene of a murder) and managed to get under 30mins for the first time ever - 28:47! It's the fastest I have ever run

Of course Norwich is flat as the proverbial pancake; there isn't even the hint of an incline anywhere on the course so beating that particular PB will be difficult especially at Ipswich and especially in the winter. Still dead chuffed that I ran three whole miles at under 9:50 pace (was my previous fastest).

The sub-60 10k is definitely possible!

18/11/2012 at 01:01

Carpathius, your right, I'd say 95% of not wanting to go out to run is in the mind and yes (again) I've never regretted going out for even a bad run, I just need to sort out this 'I prefer my warm bed to getting up early for a run' issue.

Well done on your PB My PB is 5 seconds faster than yours (whoohoo) at one of the Wroxham 5k Series races in 2010 - you should look it up as its a decent flat course. Oh, I must say when I was living just outside norwich I always met hills when training

I'm also pretty sure that even in 'hilly' Ipswich you'll improve and yes, that sub 60 minute 10k is just around the corner for you

18/11/2012 at 07:25

Andi, crikey your runs always sound full of drama, but very well done on your run especially in hailstones.

Carpathius woohoo on your Parkrun PB - who cares that it was a flat course a PB is a PB, and it feels great to get under 30 mins.

Sam good luck on your race today.

I am also up and waiting to be picked up to head down for my 10k. Peanut butter on Soya bread already eaten (well mostly) and now just waiting for friend. So rather then pace up and down my kitchen getting more and more nervous thought I would pop on here quickly for an update.

If anyone else is running or racing today good luck. Will update later

HM4
18/11/2012 at 08:42

Carpathius,

Well done agree with Lisa completely.

18/11/2012 at 11:53

Good luck Lisa hope you enjoy it!

Well done Carpathias, its definitely an acheivement doign a sub 30, and I agree it doesnt  matter if its flat - its the time that counts.

Welldone for getting out Andi, I am very fragile today, had medical school reuinion last night and megaly over did it. I dont think I will get out running, but we will see

18/11/2012 at 12:44

Carpatius - fantastic news on the PB - next stop, sub 60 minute 10k!  Well done

I think my achilles injury is more of a problem than I wanted to admit to myself, so desperate was I to get back into running.  I'm imposing another 2 weeks off my feet, and will reassess at the turn of the month.

18/11/2012 at 13:29

Hi guys hugs to all miss things on here for a few days and all sorts happens. Someone said they had a problem with their feet think it was Andi can I suggest body shop hemp foot cream. it has really helped my feet my toes were feeling very bruised and brittle.

Just back from the Leeds Abbey Dash 10k did it in 67 mins which I was pleased with as was nervous because it was such a big race 9000 people there but it was ok and fairly flat. Think I like road races rather than the mushy field type ones I have encountered recently. i do like running at this time of year rather in summer.

18/11/2012 at 14:35

Just ran my first ever race at 38 years old. A 10k, which I managed in 57.45. In training I'd only managed 1.10 so I was delighted. It was hard work, but if I can do it, I'm sure anyone can. Good luck to everyone.

18/11/2012 at 15:29

Brighton Brooks 10k race review.

What a gorgeous morning for a race.

Arrived in Brighton with my friend and her hubby quite early to ensure that we got parking, friend was running her husband was kit bag carrier! My friend was very nervous - am not sure why she runs really as generally hates every second, so we decided to have a coffee and little pep talk prior to queueing up for the toilets. My friend noticed that there were lots of club runners rather then 'fun runners' this increased  her anxiety levels no end. We then went our seperate ways as although there was no official pens for different times there was scouts from the local hut holding up signs. I headed for the 50 min section and stood in the midst of this. However whilst waiting for the race I was aware that they were lots of people anticipating much slower times then this as people were talking about adopting a run/walk approach. I am all for the masses running - however I am not sure why they put themselves in the 50 min group when they are expecting to finish in 1 hour plus times  - rant over!

Race starts, and of course I start off far too fast having to weave in and around the slower runners. Although I was feeling comfortable the pace I was running at was more suited for a 5k, and in fact my 5k time was just over 24 mins. Really must get my head around pacing myself better. The second half of the race felt a bit tougher, due to my stupid speed in the first half, but I managed to still run a sprint finish.

My chip time is a huge PB at 50.09 minutes !! Can't quite believe it, I am so chuffed. However I am now thinking that if I didn't push it so much in the first half I may have got a sub 50 mins - but I can now aim for that I guess.

Split times are in miles rather km's 7:41, 7:45, 8:07, 8:06.6, 8:16.3, 8:31 and for the last .2miles 1:40. Really want to try and work on consistency and trying to run in negative splits as they are supposed to be the best way to race. However I am still over the moon

15,221 to 15,240 of 16,077 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.