A new 10k in under 60 mins thread?

They're all too fast in the other thread!

15,241 to 15,260 of 16,077 messages
18/11/2012 at 15:33

Brenda - well done on your race this morning, it was a lovely morning for a race.

Jae congrats on running your first race and it was sub 60 mins which is great.  Its amazing how adrenaline on the day and the push of running with others can make you exceed your expectations.  Need to sign up for your next one now - running/racing can become very addictive .

Daveo really sorry to hear your news, but maybe a bit more recovery time will help in your journery back to running. (((hugs)))

18/11/2012 at 16:58

OG Lisa that is awesome! no wonder you are chuffed! You can put your feet up and enjoy your holiday now ( I think it is you going on holiday)

Daveo I am so sorry for you. try to think positive and rest up, although I know its a tough call x

18/11/2012 at 18:38

Wow Lisa! Well done indeedy  That is a really fab result. Celebratory drinkypoos tonight?

Daveo, that's so disappointing for you Take care x

Brenda, well done - sounds like a busy race, 9000 for a 10k!! Great time

Jae, that's a really great result too - it's amazing how a race atmosphere helps.

Working for me today sadly and not even a gym session. I did cycle to and from work despite the lead cycling legs!

18/11/2012 at 19:19
Hi all Lisa brenda Jae well done fab race times

Cardiff Mo running 10k report
Well Cardiff 10k Movember run was a hoot
Arrived in what can only be described as arctic temperatures but what a bleep in beautiful winter morning it turned out for race loved it!

Good thing with this run fairly small numbers I'm guessing 1000 max? Lots and lots of fancy dress and general relaxed atmosphere but Jeezwas it cold.

No pens not that formal just aim for a spit and off w went was 2 laps of byte park next to Cardiff castle and was stunning made running so much easier!
First half k I reckon I couldn't feel bottom of my feet still frozen from hanging around!
2 k in comfortable pace my only criticising here is a lot of areas very narrow not much overtaking room and I genuinely feel I could of pushed for a bit quicker had I had the room

Second lap starts a bit disheartening thinking been here already but still was happy felt comfortable the while way through today.

Not many spectators to cheer on around route until the half way point and te en but apart from that fab.
Have to say is the best race medal I have had by far so far and as we crosse the line all had foil blankets and cups full of sweets and Kelleys was a lovely touch much appreciated by everyone today.

This will be on my calendar for next year
Rushed home had christening to get to then great party and a couple of delicious ciders had to be done x

I'm waitng on official times but I came in at 59.05 so will be close may just tip over the 60 but I'm landed with that!
18/11/2012 at 20:02

Thanks for the congrats everyone. I'm amazed I did it under 60 mins, but it's a great incentive to want to go one better next time. Lisa 123 - I'd already booked another 10k for late January, which I'm looking forward to. 

HM4
19/11/2012 at 08:19

(((Daveo)))

Hope you recover soon.

Jae,

Welcome to the thread & well done.

Lisa,

I think the thinking behind this is they won't get held up by the people who are going to walk round.  Run/Walk can be a very quick method of completing a race.

------------

Great reports & well done guys.  I'm about to start back running in the next couple of weeks - once I've ditched this cold.

19/11/2012 at 10:11

Well done everyone cant believe people stand in the 50time zone when they know they will be much slower thats aweful. i thought people stood in correct place and let the faster ones go. Anyway well done on the sub 60 times people one day maybe I can manage that. its the taking part that counts and learning from the course and next year when we all do the various courses again we will all get pbs. So come on chaps lets get our next races booked

19/11/2012 at 11:59

Lisa great review and an excellent time! You deserve your break now As for negative splits most of my runs are uphill to start so I usually manage negative splits 

Louise, have you recovered yet? I didn't run yesterday due to an overly large Sunday Lunch lol

Daveo, thats a bu**er but yes, try an extended rest this time and maybe give it a few days longer after you think it's right? Can you cycle or similar Cardio whilst your off your feet to maintain fitness?

Brenda, yes it 's me with sore toes and thanks for the advice, will read up on the body shop hemp foot cream Well done on your 10k and WOW, that is a lot of runners. If i'm honest, rather than my hope of a sub 60 10k in January I think 67 mins is more likely so we must be similar speeds  

Jae, congratulations on an excellent time and much improved on your training runs!

Carpathius, hope the lead legs are feeling easier today?

Sam, excellent time and race review, sounds like a decent day out even with the narrow areas Fingers crossed for the official time staying under 60

HM4, sorry the cold is still with you, maybe it is Man Flu? 

19/11/2012 at 17:15

I must like the sound of my own voice (or typing), I'm having a technical moment so thought I'd bore/share it with you all

I've been looking at the Macmillan website for a while know and it has a cool feature where it will estimate times for various distances based on a previous time. Going by my best 5k time of 28:47 is gives the following times for distances based on the fact you train for the specific distance (ie you won't do the 10k times based on a 5k result without specific training).

1k = 4:53.7
1M= 8:15.3
5k = 28:47
10k=59:47 

I also found out the other day that connect.garmin.com will automatically display my best times over the same distances so thought it would be a good way of tracking progress/weak spots. Sadly it won't pick out the best 5k time from a 10k run

So, this afternoon I went out to record a 1k and 1Mile time as I've never run those distances as single training sessions and think a mistake was to do the 2 in the same session lol.

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/581989/gallery/19thnovember2012.jpg?width=350

Straight away I can see that stamina is my issue as I ran 1k almost 2 seconds faster than the projection but the 1 Mile was almost 70 seconds slower than projected. The plan is to try and re-run all these routes at the start of every month to see if I've improved at all (especially at the 5 & 10k runs).

Edited: 19/11/2012 at 17:17
19/11/2012 at 18:29

HM4 unfortunately the walk/run wasn't from the Jeff Galloway school of thought, but because they couldn't physically run for more then 2 minutes max  - hence my frustration. Good luck with reintroducing running back into your life - your cold has lasted ages.

Andi I am always on the Macmillan website find it fascinating.

Me - well off to pilates this evening, unfortunately its not me going away - I think it may be Sam?

Happy running all

HM4
19/11/2012 at 20:48

Lisa,

It's been 2 weeks however other things have been going on because my ankle was playing up a bit.

20/11/2012 at 19:23

7 k done on treadmill tonight as wimpily avoided the wind and rain.

Greta race report Sam, sounds like a fantastic race.

Andi  - I htink your problem will be solved if you start to loin me on my long runs agian in training for the marathon

20/11/2012 at 19:34

Louise! that typo had me spitting coffee on my keyboard lol

And yes, I will be trying to increase the distanc eon my long runs again from this weekend with 12k then hopefully 2k/week for a while

HM4
20/11/2012 at 20:49

Louise,

Well done.

Andi,

Good luck.

21/11/2012 at 18:33

Andi I look at all those plans how to train and what you should do when. I have found best to just go out when you have time feel like it and run how you want and hopefully further than last time. I swim a lot now too and find my running improves my swimming and vice versa. This has made a difference to my run times but I still think it depends how you feel on race day and what the conditions are like and what the course is like. Just do your best and dont get too hung up on times etc. We all want to do our best but as a friend of mine said recently you have to enjoy it then the time will improve. i think that is right and im starting to relax about it now and my times are improving. Have fun and it will sort itself out with regular running. 

21/11/2012 at 19:08

HM4, my elastic laces arrived today (thanks for the tip) Not the posh ones with the clip for the ends so burnt them with my lighter to stop fraying. I was a little worried they would loosen on the run but they seemed to work well and a breeze to put on/take off

Txs Brenda and yes, your right, enjoyment is probably the biggest motivator for us mortals

Had to go to the tip today to get rid of my ever increasing collection of empty Whiskey bottles and beer cans (filled the boot!). The tip is on my normal hilly route so decided to park up at the start of Ardmore Forest Trail (my route toward Glengorm Castle) and go for an easy 8k jog. All started nice and slowly for the 1k downhill start and didn't walk until 3.3k so was quite chuffed at 4k I glanced at my watch and although this was supposed to be a recovery run was on target for a 5k pb so pushed it a bit and completed it in 31:29 (shaving 39 seconds off my previous best) and finished the 8k in 53:50 - 4mins 30 seconds off my previous 8k best

I may start all my training runs with a decline in future as it really seemed to help me.

HM4
21/11/2012 at 19:12

Andi,

That's good news.  They won't come undone also which was the reason why I ended up getting them and they are kept well away from the cat as she likes shoe laces.  Well done on the run.

21/11/2012 at 19:27

ha ha Andi I noticed that too lol, after I had sent it ..my keyboard is  far from fluent on this sie, is really quite annoying!

Welldone on running.

slow 4 k for me today, very unlike me to run tow days in a row!

21/11/2012 at 19:56

Andi apart from your more eventful runs, oh, and the hailstorms your little part of the World sounds like a great place to run - the views and scenary must be great. Well done on your 8k starting downhill is the way to go!

Louise hows the marathon training going, have you started yet?

Brenda I like your thinking - but have to admit that I love reading up on stats and ways to improve my times etc.

Well I went out for an easy 5 miler this evening, first run since my race on Sunday. Club speed session tomorrow...watch this space.

My HM training also begins next week, so currently looking at plans etc to get me to run it under 1hour 50 mins.

21/11/2012 at 21:11

Txs for the 'well dones' folks, looks like things are starting to move along nicely now

Lisa, yes, am spoilt with the scenery on all my runs and will try to remember to take the Blackberry out one day and take a few snaps for you all (will give me nice rest breaks as well lol).

15,241 to 15,260 of 16,077 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.