A new 10k in under 60 mins thread?

They're all too fast in the other thread!

15,301 to 15,320 of 16,077 messages
03/12/2012 at 20:10

Well done on the run and swim Sam, especially with all your additional 'stuff'  

Lisa, 2 1/2 stone is very impressive I've been counting calories for a few weeks but I usually get bored and go off the rails I have read about cheat days so your wine and curries might even be helping

Yes Carpathius, your training break is over so back to the asphalt with you

Graham, thought you'd left us for a faster thread As allways well done on the impressive times Sir!

Fingers (and toes) crossed for your BF running

6k tonight, 23:36 out and 20:40 back so whilst hills are a pain you do get to come back down again  Top of my foot is still sore and it was the same with my old shoes on as well. Might try re-lacing a pair tomorrow to see if that helps at all. Found some hard skin on the front of toe #2 tonight and wondering if loose shoes has caused that as well

03/12/2012 at 21:31

Well done Andi and Lisa, 2 1/2 stone. WOW!

Still here mate. Just been very hectic at the mo.

08/12/2012 at 16:07
I've not been on few days and not missed anything it seems are we all out partying? Think we all a bit hectic this time of year Lol

Had a very slippy run this morning but was beautiful winter morning just couldn't get a grip under foot!! Lol even with underfoot conditions managed a 5 miler averaged 6 .20per km so not as bad as could of been! May be a silly question but do trail shoes help with icy conditions or is no show safe on ice???
08/12/2012 at 18:40

Hi Sam I had my trail shoes on this morning while doing parkrun. I dont think they helped they are great on the grass parts but think they proved leathel on the tarmac bits. It  was icy and just no grip on those bits so much so ran on grass verge next to it wish i had worn my normal running shoes but doing a 7 mile tomorrow and didnt want them to be soaking wet from today. In conclusion trail shoes are great on grass but i dont like them on the tarmac bits.Our parkrun is half and half and still think normal running shoes are best as like to catch up my time on tarmac stretches and like to feel in control which i didnt feel today.

HM4
08/12/2012 at 21:33

Sam,

Careful in the icy weather, if you're going to go base over apex there's not much which is going to save you other than using a treadmill !  (This is speaking from experience when walking & ending up with a broken shoulder.)

09/12/2012 at 06:14
Morning
Thanks Brenda HM4, yes reading up looks like roads and ice = no shoes will save the slipping lol! Yesterday I had planned to go to gym rather than run outdoors but it was such a beautiful early morning perfect winters day I had to give it a go outdoors glad I did but had to have my wits about me
09/12/2012 at 07:46

Sam I agree with Brenda & HM4 ice and running on roads = running a la penguin style! No trainers are going to help, but well done on your 5 miler.

Week 2 of HM training almost complete I had an 8 miler planned for today but I have woken full of snot  so may have to shorten the run depending on how much it affects my asthma .

However on a positive note ran Parkrun yesterday and managed a pb of sub 25 mins - 24mins and 46 sec to be precise so very happy with that .

How is everyone's running going and any races planned over the festive period?

HM4
09/12/2012 at 07:50

Lisa,

Well done.  No races for me until May, unless I turn up for a parkun.

09/12/2012 at 11:44

Run didn't happen. Not because of asthma, but because my knee felt bu**ered. Enforced rest for a couple of days me thinks!

09/12/2012 at 22:04

Well done Sam, 5 miles in slippery conditions is great. I find Yaktrax are absolutely brilliant for running on snow and ice but there must be a fair covering as tarmac will ruin them.

Lisa, hope the knee is better - couple of days of rest should sort it hopefully.Congratulations on your parkrun PB - that's so fast!

I managed under 30mins at parkrun yesterday but the course may have been slightly short so I'm not really counting it until I've done it again. Was definitely a PB though! Also had a great run on Friday morning despite it raining when I set off which turned to full snow after ten minutes. Was so cold when I got back though!

Hope everyone's running is going well, be careful out there!

09/12/2012 at 23:18

Well done on the PB Lisa and hope your speed wasn't the cause of the knee issue?

How did the 7 miler go Brenda?

Sam, think the oiffered advice is correct, there isn't much that will 'save' you in ice condiditions and sadly I have steep hill's in all directions so heavey frost will probably curb running for me

Bad week for me with only 2 outings Today was my 'furthest run' PB day and managed 16.5k in 2 hours flat. I had a nice slow pace going until I got 'attacked' by a pair of Westies and sprinting away from them ruined it all. That said I beat my 10k PB by all of 15 seconds (still only 69mins 22secs mind).

HM4
10/12/2012 at 08:42

Well done guys.

---------

I did manage to get out for a run on Saturday.  Did just under 1k and the first part felt horrible however the second part was much easier form wise.

11/12/2012 at 17:27

Hi all glad to see we are all doing quite well given the weather, sometimes its just nice to make the effort and get out there even when we think its a bit cold. Im trying ot build up mileage a bit an dhaving done quite a few 10k thought I would try a seven mile race. it was billed as the longridge 7 road race. good I thought no mud no fields to go across will be quite pleasant. the sun was shining and I drove about 50 miles to get there from Yorkshire to Lancashire. Nice little village and I thought good around more little villages lol. They rolled out the starting mat on a litttle residential street and a few hundred of us set off. not knowing where i was going just followed the herd along some streeets and up the very steep high street. Turned and corner then up more hils and that was how it was more hills and more hills. Kept thinking there would be a downhill soon up and up we went lovely scenery nice when we were almost above the clouds and the hill walkers seemed to be lower than us. It was more like a mountain trek than a run and the wind was howling and blinding sunshine. I just wanted to finish and eventually there was a downhill and the finish line. My friend and I laughed afterwards and we thought of it as a good training session for our more normal runs. i did it in 1hr 22mins which I was amazed at as it was hell at times but the next race I have planned is 10 miles and is flat hooray and cant be as bad as this one.

11/12/2012 at 19:57

Well done Brenda on your 7 mile race sounds like a tough one, but that sense of acheivement when you cross the line makes it all worth it - that and the laugh you had with your friend.

Unfortunately my cold has morphed into a demon one, eyes and nose streaming, raised temp and aches and pains everywhere so no running for me. Really hope that it won't affect my HM training too much and that I am back out there sooner rather then later. Its amazing how much I am missing the running after only a few days its driving me mad!!

Hope that everyone else's runs are going to plan.

11/12/2012 at 21:35

Well done Brenda! As Lisa said, sounds tough!

Lisa, hopefully your cold clears up soon and your back running again

I've not been out since the weekend as my back is bad again I'm hoping it's not because I spent 5 minutes trying to skip yesterday!)

11/12/2012 at 23:10

Ugh - forum lost my reply. In brief;

Well done Brenda

Get well soon Lisa

Take care of your back Andi.

Glad you got out there HM

I've forgotten the rest...

HM4
12/12/2012 at 18:00

Carpathius,

Thanks.

Lisa,

Hope your cold gets better soon.

Andi,

Hope you recover soon.

13/12/2012 at 14:16

Starting to feel slightly more human, so as off work sick (only Wed and Today off will be going back tomorrow )  and no excercise at all this week so far, I thought that I would go along to a pilates class. Thoroughly glad that I went, and straight afterwards I did a sneaky 3 miles on the treadmill. Hated running on it but needs must when my asthma would have wreaked havoc if I had attempted to run outside. Hopefully by tomorrow it won't be quite as chilly, my cold will continue to diminish and I will be able to enjoy running outside again.

Andi hope your back is ok. I often suffer with my lower back and know how debilitating it can be so hope it is improving for you.

HM4 was your run in your minimalist puma's? If so how was it -full report of making the transition would be good

HM4
13/12/2012 at 18:09

Lisa,

It was.  The first half of the run left wrong and painful/lots of jarring however the 2nd half was much better.  I've not done any drills before embarking on this how I'd done previous times because I want to try a different way of making the transition, ie just run and don't worry about techinque just go with what feels comfy.

14/12/2012 at 07:23

HM4 good to hear that the 2nd half of your run was easier. It will be interesting to hear how you get on with the transition as I now have my Vibram five fingers and am going to start introducing little runs with them. Although at the moment I am having lots of twinges and niggles in my knee's achilles and lower back - all linked to tight IT band and ridiculously tight hamstrings. Am hoping that minimalist is the way to go and it will sort out the niggles.

15,301 to 15,320 of 16,077 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.