A new 10k in under 60 mins thread?

They're all too fast in the other thread!

15,321 to 15,340 of 16,077 messages
HM4
14/12/2012 at 19:39

Lisa,

I'm noticing my hip flexor is getting tight and that's just after one run.  I think stretching is going to be the key.

16/12/2012 at 15:22

Went out for a (shortish) LSR today of 6 miles, took it nice and easy as I have been experiencing a few niggles, hips and knees mainly over the last week. Felt good to be back out there on such a lovely morning. I have decided as the niggles are probably from doing zero stretching I am really going to try and focus on doing this after my runs (rather then heading straight for the shower and then having a coffee!). Mission accomplished today - lets see how long this lasts for!!

Hope everyone is either out enjoying their running, or entering the festive spirit

17/12/2012 at 11:09

HM4, take things easy then and yes, s t r e t c h

Glad you enjoyed your run Lisa.

No need for stretching here as I've not been running all week and spent most of the weekend in bed with 'man flu'. Not the best holiday for my friend from France.

HM4
17/12/2012 at 20:08

Andi,

Don't worry I will do.  Hope you feel better soon.

Lisa,

Well done.

17/12/2012 at 20:47
Just passing through... Thought I'd say hi
So, any news in the last year or two?
Edited: 17/12/2012 at 20:48
HM4
17/12/2012 at 21:06

Jason,

Got married in the last year, ran round the Olympic Park & Stadium before anyone else, did 2 halfs, a 4k race & 5 mile race with no pb's, although did come close for when I was running in the Olympic Park race.  Sums up the year for me in 1 sentence !

17/12/2012 at 21:24
HM4- yeah, I know all YOUR news- lol! Any of the old crowd still on here?
HM4
18/12/2012 at 08:32

Jason,

LOL!  You did ask .

19/12/2012 at 21:14

hello everyone long time no post, sorry

have been having a bit of a rest after my half, but building up again now in preperation for Brighton in April. Did 20k on the treadmill tonight so feelin gquite pleased with myself. Looks like lots of good running been going on in my absence, well done everyone

19/12/2012 at 22:18

hi Jason, so, what you been up to then?

Well done louise, 20k on a treadmill must be hard work?

Hopefully this flu thing is turning a corner and should be ok to visit the parents at the weekend for Christmas (Dad is unwell and wouldn't be welcome 'carrying' any additional bugs).

Since November 1st I've lost 1 stone of fat and gained 3lb of lean body mass so a net loss of 11lb and lost 2 inches off my tummy.  Just need to replace the lost fat with lean body mass in the New Year and I'll be a happy bunny 10st 13lb now btw.

19/12/2012 at 23:19
Andi- mainly marathon running and marathon training! Great weight loss- fantastic stuff!!!
HM4
20/12/2012 at 18:06

Louise,

Well done.

21/12/2012 at 00:01

txs Jason and good on you for your marathon stuff, not sure I'm up to that commitment yet

22/12/2012 at 20:28
Hi all on this super friendly thread. It's been months since I logged in, but just thought I would say hi and wish you all a Merry Christmas.

HM4 - I am still doing the stretches you kindly posted for me many months ago. I think I would have seized up by now if I wasn't. I have introduced swimming as a great way to help the stretching, which I think is working.

Determined - Hope you do your RFL again, well done last year on you money raising exploits. Pleased to report that my wife has now fully recovered from her Cancer and has now returned to working.

Daveo - sorry to read that you are still struggling with injuries. I have also had a heel/Achilies problem which caused me to miss a few weeks in the Autumn, and still is a continuing problem.

Carpathius - Hope the Ipswich PR is going well, I completed my 50th today in Gorleston. Have had another start up in Sheringham which I may give a look next Saturday.

ShiYa and Westmoors - Hope you are doing OK, can't see you on the thread.

Andy, Jason, Louise - Hi to you all......Good to see this thread still as popular as it ever was.

As I mentioned I have been struggling with my Achilies injury which keeps coming back, but finally think I have found an answer.....swimming.
I think I caused the injury in September by overdoing the sprinting.
So I currently do not sprint at all. Just gentle runs, although I do push the Parkruns a little bit.
I swim/run on alternate days, and swim immediately after my early Sunday morning LSR. As it is non impact it is really helping.
Am now up to 60+ lengths in 55 minutes, so really helps the cardio too.
I have been lucky enough to come out of the ballot for the VLM at the first attempt.
So now really have to look after my old frame.
An hoping for a sub 4hr as I currently run Parkrun in about 25 minutes.
Did the Yarmouth 10k in 53 minutes so think I have it in me.
Just have to sort a plan out which will not cause my Achilies to worsen.

Anyway Merry Christmas to you all
Edited: 23/12/2012 at 04:10
HM4
23/12/2012 at 08:41

MM,

That's great news.

HM4
24/12/2012 at 17:58

Happy Christmas guys.

24/12/2012 at 18:14

Louise well done on your 20k

Andi good going with your fat loss, hopefully some of it will stay off over the Christmas period

Motown Mark its always good to include a bit of cross training for strength and conditioning - I choose pilates myself - will only swim when the temps are in the 30's and I can dry off lazing in the sun!

HM training still going to plan. May include a sneaky 4 miler after putting the turkey in the oven in the morning (to allow for all the extra calories I will be consuming later in the day!!).

Have a fabulous Christmas everyone 

Edited: 24/12/2012 at 18:17
25/12/2012 at 11:52

Hi all, and welcome back MM and Jason.  I ran a mile on the treadmill at the weekend, with only a bit of calf tightness afterwards - it's a start!  The arch pain is gone completely now that I've done away with the orthotics (though I haven't run a lot so time will tell).  A bit of PF on the right foot, but not serious - once it's warmed up it's ok.  The nerve problem still limits my stretching on the left, but I think I'm ready to try again at building up very very slowly.  Will stick to the treadmill with steam room, sauna, stretching and self-massage afterwards for quite some time I think.  Diet's still going ok, and I've been doing heaps of strength training, core, weights, circuits etc.  I'm going to keep up with that and focus on stretching for a while too before I get too adventurous with the running.  Our park run is all coming together - we have set the date for our first run (though I'm not sure I'm allowed to say when yet, it's soon!).  Here's hoping my running in 2013 goes better than 2012!

HM4
25/12/2012 at 15:13

Daveo,

Good luck with the parkrun.

26/12/2012 at 18:45
Happy boxing day evening all

Went out for a needed 5 miler this morning after pigging out yesterday lol!
Really want to get everything back to normal now diet, decorations etc I hate a bit of tinsel once the big man been and gone with young kids our house is decorated from te 1st December so want rid now

So far managing to keep on track with sessions over the feativities for my half training just eating the wrong stuff

I was incontct with my local running club before Christmas and deffo starting on a Monday night with them from the 7th can't wait hopefully will give me bit more guidance before my half in march

Hope everyone well x

Aiming to sign up for that cancer research Dryathon in January not drank much over this week but a few every day is still lot good when trying to run at the moment lol.
15,321 to 15,340 of 16,077 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.