A new 10k in under 60 mins thread?

They're all too fast in the other thread!

15,341 to 15,360 of 16,079 messages
27/12/2012 at 11:48

Sam well done on your 5 miler, and keeping on track with the training.

I know exactly how you feel about the Xmas decorations, I am itching to do the same however I will resist possibly until the weekend.

3.5 miler run on Xmas day in the pouring down rain, couldn't actually see in front of me at one point as it was coming down so fast! Thankfully my 5 miler today wasn't so wet although it did rain on me just not the sleet rain of 2 days before.

Hope everyone is managing some running over the festive period

27/12/2012 at 19:14

Sam I am also considering that dryathon, although think I may find it a bit traumatic!

I have been running over the festive season, also nearly drowned on xmas day - it was the wettest run I have done. Has anyone got any clues as to how you keep the water out of your eyes and stop them stinging?

I have developed a little bit of right heel pain,, not too bad at mo but making me anxious. Any advice gratefully recieved.

Andi - all set for the virtual joint lsrs as I train for the marathon?

HM4
27/12/2012 at 19:49

Sam,

Well done.

Louise,

Nope it's been raining quite horribly here.

27/12/2012 at 21:18

@Louise - try a peaked cap?  

I'm tempted to do the dryathlon too ... I've had one or two too many quiet evenings in with a nice whiskey of late!

29/12/2012 at 23:34

Hi MM, gonna make a NY Resolution to visit more often?? Good going with the swimming, sadly I'm allergic to water for anything other than hygienic reasons or bringing out the 'flavour' of my single malt

Txs Lisa, I only put 1lb on during xmas so quite pleased Well done on the running, takes some willpower to get out on Christmas day I'm sure.

Daveo, keep up the little steps (pun intended) and I'm sure things will come good in the New Year I've been doing lots of core work, mainly for my back problems and am sure it's helped my running gait/stance. Whats your fav tipple? Not sure why but my (current) fav (14yr old Oban) has gone up in price recently, saw it in Tesco last night for £46!

Sam, well done on the boxing Day run have you worked out how many mince pies your 5 miler burnt off?

Louise, another trooper going out on xmas day - well done you! And yes, whilst I probably won't get close to your distances/times I hope to be out Sat/Sun for a LSR (virtualy) with you I agree with Daveo, I waer glasses and use a peaked cap and it keeps the rain off my glasses as well as out of my eyes. I see you can get peaked BUFF's now so may try one of them, got an original BUFF for Christmas and I love it already

Well, am over my Man Flu now but not run since 9th December Apart from Boxing Day with 16 McGill's in the same room I had a quiet xmas at my parents. Dad has been unwell for a month and seems to have turned the corner now (thanks to steroids) but it just 7 stone! 

Just 4 weeks till my 10k near Sterling now and yesterday I found out it's unlikely the first Ferry that day will give me enough time to get to the venue AND unless I do a sub 60 minute time I may not make the last Ferry home and can't afford 2 nights in a Hotel so am in a quandry

I googled the Dryathon peeps are signing up for and may do a Dry(ish)athon myself whilst attempting a nicotine free month as well (I feel for anybody that crosses me next month lol).

I've been running for almost 6 months now and covered nearly 450k so think I'll set a 2013 target of 1,000k - anybody else setting a distance target for 2013?

HM4
30/12/2012 at 09:08

Andi,

I don't usually set distance targets as I like to go for pb's, however I've not set anything as yet.

31/12/2012 at 08:12

Andi, I have set myself a target of running 2013km which is 1250 miles. Not sure how realistic this is but thought that I would give it a go, it works out at an average of 24 miles per week!

I would also like to run a sub 50 min 10k ( I have to shave 9 seconds off my Brighton 10k time set in November), a 1 hr 50 min HM, and I am still contemplating a marathon. No pressure like!!

31/12/2012 at 12:19

Oh yes HM4, I have time targets over 1k, 1 mile, 5k and 10k but like the sound og 1,000k to keep me focussed throughout the year

Lisa! good luck with the 2013 target, a bit above mine lol. 9 seconds is just a couple of strides per kilometre and you'll crack it

31/12/2012 at 17:10
Happy new year everyone
HM4
31/12/2012 at 17:14

Lisa,

Good luck.

01/01/2013 at 20:30
walktallkate wrote (see)
Happy new year everyone

Ditto and hope we all had a good night? I was happily surprised with the Tobermory Fireworks - not up to the Sydney standard of a couple of years ago but a very nice display

resolutions...

Diet: Already had my monthly allowance of bacon butties
Running: 6k today
Drinking: still early but on target to stay 'dry'
Smoking: none as yet today but would rather have a fag than these 'urges'. Would be happy if I cut down to 5-7/day  

01/01/2013 at 21:10

@Andi ooooh don't get me started.... my 'cupboard' whiskeys are The Balvenie Doublewood or the 'ordinary' Glenmorangie SM for general drinking and whatever is going cheap (mostly bourbons, Jack usually, or Jim Beam.. I can drink those, can't stand Bells or whatever!) for mixing with ginger beer.  I usually have a couple of good bottles on the go too from birthdays, father's day etc.  I love the special Glenmorangies, the Applewood was particularly nice if you can find that.  Right now I have a bottle of The Macallan 10yo Fine Oak and The MacGibbon's 'small batch Provenance', both very very nice!  You know, this isn't helping with my dryathlon attempt.. it's only the 1st!

No big goals for the year other than to get back into running.  If I manage to consistently train for 10k by the end of the year, I'll be happy.  If I squeeze in my first ever half marathon, I'll be delighted.  So far, I'm up to 2km(!) and not without plenty of complaining from the left calf...

02/01/2013 at 11:21
Happy new year all
Well only goals this year is to keep up improving with the fitness
Joining local club next Monday to aid me with that
I have entered 3 races so far for 2013 I have the first half on 3rd march and just booked last night a 10k in cardiff on feb the 16th also booked the swansea 10k again for September and waiting for entries for the cardiff 10k and the cardiff half to open will be entering those, so aims are to enter quite a few more this year to keep me getting out there and train
I'm going dry for January aswel see how goes lol!!!!
Aiming for an 8 k ish tempo run this afternoon
02/01/2013 at 14:32

samantha perrott which half are you doing as i am doing one on the same day?

02/01/2013 at 15:39
Chappersuk it's the Llanelli half. I think there is quite a lot on that date around the country. Which one you doing?
HM4
02/01/2013 at 18:50

Happy New Year guys & good luck with whatever running goals you set for the year.

04/01/2013 at 22:04

Happy New Year to you to HM4

lol Daveo, how's the dryathalon going? I made sure I'd consumed most of my single malt NYE Am not really a bourbon guy but will drink it if offered of course Fingers crossed to stay injury free and meet your goals this year

Still 'dry' Sam? and well done on booking a few races already

Just 2 of my 4 resolutions left to break lol (dryathalon and 1,000k). Smoking lasted almost a day but have cut down drastically (thus far).

Did 8k this afternoon and ache all over tonight so things are not looking good for my 10 mile LSR tomorrow but guess theres always Sunday

HM4
05/01/2013 at 08:21

Andi,

Well done to cutting down on the smoking.  Perhaps start the stopping process again in March time.  Good luck with the run.

05/01/2013 at 08:22
Yes Andi still dry whoop whoop!!!!! have a big awards night booked on the 1st feb for hubbys cycle club in lovely hotel by me in swansea so keeping my resolve for january and aiming to go mad on the 1st of feb then aim to give it all up again till after the half marathon on the 3rd March...... will see how goes.......lol.

Need to do approx 10k today and seriously need to shakeup my routes it's too easy to go the same routes all the time and just add on a bit to increase distance.

Good luck everyone with your weekend runs
05/01/2013 at 09:21
I took my daughter to center parks and without thinking about it, had a beer with dinner... So broke the dryathlon on Jan 2nd. Also picked up a nasty rib injury taking a knee to the chest in the 'rapids'. I don't think anything's broken, just an awkward bruise. Taught little one to ride her bike with no stabilizers so that involved a lot of jogging. We had a great time The chest injury is going to mess with my push up challenge though!
15,341 to 15,360 of 16,079 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.