A new 10k in under 60 mins thread?

They're all too fast in the other thread!

15,361 to 15,380 of 16,077 messages
05/01/2013 at 19:44

txs HM4 and yes, I decided trying to quit drinking and smoking together made me a very ratty Andi!

Good luck on keeping dry until March Sam, best stock up at the awards night

Daveo, sorry about the 'slip up', it almost happened to me when I went out for lunch in the week but remembered just in time Just don't use it as an excuse to go back to beer Fingers crossed the chest gets better soon and push up challenge? I could do a few but just got one of those rotating handle things and it seems much harder now (though should save my wrists).

05/01/2013 at 20:13
Had the worst training run today that I can remember felt horrible my legs where like lead and even felt slightly dizzy and sick at around only 3k thought this is ridiculous??? I stopped and started several times trying to catch my breath!

Then it dawned on me dull bird that I am, that I gave blood last night so running first thing probably was not my smartest move ever!!! Lol it's the worst feeling having a program to follow then messing one of the runs up very guilty so will prob nip to gym tomorrow although rest day and try a bit of Ross training or laps of the pool

Hope everyone else had more successful days
HM4
05/01/2013 at 20:20

(((Sam)))

Hope you're feeling better now.

---------

My comeback trail is continuing did 1.2 miles this morning.  I'll see how I am tomorrow before deciding what to run on Tuesday.  I'm not following a plan at the mo & I'm not running in the minimilast shoes at the mo.  I think I'll wait until the spring/summer before picking that up again.

05/01/2013 at 21:41

@Andi I'm doing the 100 pushups programme (and 200 situps) and my wife is doing half of my programme - she can do 8 pushups in one go now!  I'm on about 70 pushups spread over 6 sets right now, still quite a long way to go - aiming to do 100 in one set in about 8 weeks from now (depending on how quickly my rib recovers)

05/01/2013 at 22:11

oh dear Sam but it makes perfect sense really make a mental note for next time

HM4, keep at it slowly till things get better and good call on leaving the minimalist running till the spring

Daveo, keep at it and I'm sure you'll get there. I'm warey of basic situps these days and prefer the bicycle kick situps (can't do many yet though).

HM4
06/01/2013 at 07:12

Andi,

The plan is to use them as part of doing doubles.

Daveo,

Well done to your wife.  i couldn't even manage 1 let alone 8.

07/01/2013 at 09:46

Sam hope you have recovered, and yes you are completely right it was the giving blood that affected your run all to do with O2 transfer etc.. I know exactly what you mean about following plans it tends to bring out the OCD in me

Daveo good luck with your pushups and situps, it should help with your running as it will aid developing a really good core strength. Good on your wife push ups are a killer!!

I too was attempting to stay off the alcohol until Feb, but fell off the wagon Saturday night with half a bottle of Rose - bugger!! will try and improve - but huge well done to those still on the straight and narrow.

Running wise week one of my goal to hit 1250 miles (2013k) in 2013 and 20 miles completed this week, mileage goes up slightly each week as I follow my HM training plan. Only 6 weeks to go before my first HM scary and exciting.

HM4 my vibram five fingers I only use for walking in at the moment (although I have done a couple of sprints in them) may wait until after the Brighton HM to allow for the proper transition. However my main running trainer are the saucony kinvara which are pretty minimal anyway - 4mm heel drop so hopefully it won't be too much of a shock to my calves/achilles. I also walk around my home barefoot all the time so fingers crossed... After a pilates class recently, i decided to run bak to my car completely barefooted - not sure whether its something that I would repeat, well not in winter anyway

Pilates class for me later, must resist going out for a run today as ankle is a bit twingey from running on country roads yesterday - the camber really affects me, I must strengthen up my ankle muscles.

Happy running everyone

HM4
07/01/2013 at 19:26

Lisa,

I walk around barefoot and my current running shoes are some Saucony Fastwitches, got them ages ago did was told by a podiatrist they weren't suitable as too light weight.  So have decided to switch back to them as they've not done too many miles.

07/01/2013 at 21:38
Hi all

WOW went to first session with running club tonight and bloody loved it!!!! So so friendly it's a track speed session which I have never done or really understood fully 100ish people turned up tonight at track and they split us into several ability groups which was fab I went in the middle group and it really really pushed me!!!

Wish I had joined before now
My next door neighbour after having her baby wants to start back running so tommorow night going on a short walk run walk run with her I think not only to help her but think after tonight I'm going to need to stretch out my legs
Hope you all well
08/01/2013 at 17:19

Half a bottle of Rose Lisa? tut tut but hey, you put the miles in so why not take a break from time to time well done onm your 20 miles in week 1, I failed at 14k for the week As for running back to the car barefoot I'm glad I googled barefoot running cos you wear shoes doing it lol.

Sam glad you enjoyed the run with the club and good luck with your recovery run with your neighbour - sounds ideal.

Well have done 1 week 'dry' and seriously thinking about having a beer to celebrate as this is the longest I've probably EVER gone without a drink!! (other than hospital stays). I do like my smoothies and have decided to try 'juicing' - not a cheap thing to do so hope its not a 3 day fad

HM4
08/01/2013 at 17:32

Sam,

Excellent, well done.

Andi,

I've actually done running completely barefoot and it was on concrete slabs.  Admitedly it was only about 20m from the communal bins to the flat.  Well done on 1 dry week.

---------

Another 1.27 miles has been chalked up today.

08/01/2013 at 18:37

hello everyone, i have had two weeks off with an ankle injury, first run tonight, 5 k on the  trreadmill and feels ok so heres hoping. I am now a little bit behind on my arathon training but hopefully will be able to catch up as had quite a good running base.

well done Andi, very impressive. Im afraid im still on the ciders ! x

08/01/2013 at 21:09

Andi it was completely barefoot (no shoes) and there was puddles, hence the frozen feet and not sure if I want to repeat the experience in winter!! Oh and well done on your dry week.

Sam well done on your first club run, its great when you find an inclusive club and by the sounds of it you will improve quickly with rgards to your speed.

Louise sorry to hear about your injury, fingers crossed that it continues to improve and you are ok with your marathon training.

HM4 well done on your run today

5 miles done tonight and a pilates class - class was heaving with all newbies, wonder if it will still be busy next month

09/01/2013 at 20:04

Txs HM4 and well done on the 1.27 miles (I did celebrate 1 dry week with a beer though!)

Fingers crossed with the ankle Louise and plenty of time to make up for the time off I guess the cider was like medicine hehe

LOL Lisa, and sounds more like a drunken run than one from a sober girl Let us know how many are left in the Pilates class come February

Well, a strange 24 hours for meI decided not to run the 10k at the end of January for cost as much as (un)fitness as I would have needed a night away either side of the race Then I was 'challenged' to do the York Marathon in October! and only a couple of hours later an ex colleague from work messaged me and said she had been challenged to run the same race by somebody else!! Am seriously considering it and will let you guys know my decision Got me a pain in my right calf about 50 metres into a run through Aros Park today, not an overuse ache but a sharp pain like a pulled/popped muscle? Needless to say I stopped and limped home though on the way back...

...not running related at all I saw my first ever wild Otter! Spent almost 30 minutes watching it fishing and playing in Tobermory Bay so that was nice

HM4
09/01/2013 at 21:14

Andi,

I'd say go for it, particularly if it's got connections to Jane Tomlinson as her hubby was on breakfast TV either yesterday or today promoting it in memory of her & said it was in York & a flat course.

--------

Well done on everyone's training.

11/01/2013 at 22:42
Ran a mile on the tredmill today, a bit awkward with my rib (which by now I'm pretty sure is/was broken after all), I intended to go 3km but my calves and knees got tired quickly - need to build up my strength again. Dryathlon is going well now. Need to recommit to my diet though, my resolve has weakened since xmas, all those sweeties. May go for a nice hard hike at the weekend if the weather's like it was today, put some miles in my legs.
HM4
12/01/2013 at 18:48

Daveo,

Well done on both counts.  Hope the rib heals quickly.

12/01/2013 at 20:05

Daveo well done on your treadmill run, fingers crossed that your rib heals quickly.

Andi do it, you know that you want to

Parkrun completed today in sleet and freezing weather, no PB but a time of 25mins and 37 sec which I am happy with considering the weather.

10mile LSR for me tomorrow fingers crossed that there is no snow.

12/01/2013 at 22:10

@Lisa and HM4 thanks, it's a bit awkward, but not really too much of a problem.  I'd trade a rib injury for a foot injury any day!

@Lisa - great time in bad conditions - you're really motoring!

13/01/2013 at 01:03

Daveo, heres to a speedy recovery! (foot and ribs)

Lisa, well done on the Parkrun time, I'd love that as a PB for me

HM4, I think most/all of any profits go to the Jane Tomlinson Charity My finger is still hovering over the 'enter' button (apparently they had almost 2,500 sign up on day 1). And Lisa, yes, I do want to but not so sure my body will agree with my brain

Still have a slight pain in my right calf and not been out for a few days but have been doing some resitance training and had been doing static cycle intervals, only 2 mins easy and 30 secs pushing things but think it's affecting my back Oh, and managed to hold the 'plank' for 90 seconds tonight - so thats nice

15,361 to 15,380 of 16,077 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.