A new 10k in under 60 mins thread?

They're all too fast in the other thread!

15,401 to 15,420 of 16,079 messages
HM4
18/01/2013 at 11:39

Daveo,

Excellent.  Good luck.

19/01/2013 at 12:38

10 mile LSR completed in freezing snow and ice. Loved the first 8 miles the last 2 nearly defeated me though - think it was the cold and the extra effort of running in the snow. But its done and can now rest and hibernate for the remainder of the weekend!!

Good luck on your runs for those that are braving the elements.

Daveo good luck with your Parkrun ventures.

HM4
21/01/2013 at 09:18

Lisa,

Well done.

22/01/2013 at 18:17

I just ran 5km dododododoooo; I just ran 5km doooododododo!

HM4
22/01/2013 at 18:28

Daveo,

Well done.  That's further than I've gone.

HM4
25/01/2013 at 18:02

Hope everyone has managed to do some form of training in the yucky weather.

25/01/2013 at 19:14
Monday night speed session at club track,
Tuesday nothing
lovely group 5miler planned Wednesday was scrapped v heavy snow and even gym shut!!
Thursday gym treadmill 30 minute quick blast and a core class.
Tonight nothing
Tomoz morning group run 8-9 miler planned and all snow washed way around here xx
26/01/2013 at 08:44

Well I have braved the weather (probably foolishly but hey!). Did another 5 miles in blizzard conditions on Sunday absoloutely loved it - felt much better then my LSR on Saturday, probably because I wrapped up better.

Tuesday whilst it was snowing again I ran another 5 miler - a man exclaimed loudly to his partner that I must have completely lost the plot to be out running in that weather - I almost agreed with him .

Wednesday I braved the then icy conditions for a quickish 3.5 miler - stupid decision as far too slippery underfoot, but can't abide treadmill running.

Thursday I ran 6 miles in slush, nearly got taken out by a cyclist on the pavement who was wearing no lights or reflective gear and was talking on his mobile - I was wearing a head torch but he was completely oblivious. I landed awkwardly on my ankle after having to jump out of the way, so have a couple of niggles there now .

LSR of 12 miles planned for either today or Sunday trying to decide when to go out, as don't want to injure my ankle any more. My training has stepped up as my HM is only 3 weeks away, and because I am now running the Brighton Marathon in April arrgghh!!!!

I hope that everyone else is getting out there safely, or managing treadmill runs if you are more sensible then me

HM4
26/01/2013 at 08:53

Lisa,

Well done.  I don't do treadmill running.  On the rare occasions I've got on one I've felt like I'm going to fall off so don't go out when it's snowy & icy.

Sam,

Well done & good luck.

27/01/2013 at 09:07
We had our parkrun test event yesterday and it all went really well. I'm sure we'll get more slick as we get some experience, but the course seems like it's going to work and everyone seemed happy with the arrangements.

Another 5km on the treadmill on Friday, I think the length of time to calf pain is getting longer.. I'm going to stick at this distance, speed, and two days of rest between runs right up until I feel I've adapted fully to it and can do it in my sleep, before I even think about adding more.

On the treadmill vs snow debate - last year I was out rain or shine; this winter I've mostly allowed my injury to give me the excuse to avoid the cold! I don't believe that running on a treadmill fully prepares you for running out in the world, but it's a decent substitute when that's not possible - just don't think 'I can run 10k in 50 minutes on the treadmill' and expect to do that on the road. It's also mega, mega boring - I've found listening to audiobooks helps... though Friday I was running alone in a cold/breezy airconditioned gym, looking out at the murky dark outside the huge window, all on my own, and listening to The Amityville Horror... that was a bit spooky!
HM4
27/01/2013 at 09:15

Daveo,

Well done.

27/01/2013 at 13:37

Daveo that sounds really positive - both the Parkrun and being able to run for 5k pain free. Sounds like a good strategy to stay at that distance for a while.

3 miles ran at a fairly quick pace yesterday (instead of my local Parkrun that was still a bit icy) and 12.3 miles today. Am know feeling shattered so a lazy afternoon for me is planned. I have run 30 miles this week which is my highest weekly mileage ever I think, and considering the awful weather just plain foolish!!

Any advice re: fuelling my runs as I am now starting to feel hungry at odd times of the day? Really don't want to fall in the trap of gaining weight as I train which I have read can happen.  

27/01/2013 at 15:11

Lisa, I stopped 'fuelling' my runs with sugar because I think that will logically stop you maximizing the weight loss benefits of running.  I'll only take anything more than water these days if I'm running for 1hr, and then only a small amount of jelly beans or something to keep me going.  I think I was using lucozade as a way to push me through difficult motivational periods in longer runs, and, you know, if you burn 700 cals in an hour of running, but drink 400 cals of lucozade then for those of us for whom one of the intended benefits of running is to lose a bit of weight, that's counter productive.  But you know your own body, so you must give it the food it needs, don't go making yourself dizzy or anything.

Feeling more hungry during the day is inevitable - you're working harder, so you need more food.  The worst thing would be to let the hunger drive you to snack foods.  I say eat more if you need to, just make sure it's good stuff.  Most of us would benefit from an extra tin of oily fish, or fruit, nuts and seeds in our daily menu!

HM4
27/01/2013 at 15:15

Lisa,

I can't give any advice on this one as I'm one of the horrible lucky ones who finds it hard to put any weight on.  Well done on the training.

27/01/2013 at 19:33

Daveo, I don't fuel with refined sugar at all as I eat mainly paleo (although I do have cream and cheese which isn't strictly paleo) I also avoid all unnatural foods etc.

The more I read though the more I think that maybe I need to increase my carbs, however this will mean reduce my fat intake... My carbs generally come from vegetables and some fruits. I have started to eat more sweet potato's and butternut squash in an attempt to increase my energy levels post runs. Will have to do a bit more research I think. My current thoughts are probably linked to the fact that I have recently read Scott Jureks eat and run which focusing on a diet rich in carbs

Maybe I should just stop reading and go by how I feel.

31/01/2013 at 19:06

Just done 5k round the block with a mate.  I borrowed the Chi Running book of another friend and was trying that technique out - definitely was easier on my calves, until my friend wanted me to slow down a bit - after a certain point you can't really lean forward any longer and then the pressure started to build on my calves.  I take it as a good sign though

HM4
31/01/2013 at 19:15

Daveo,

Definately a good sign.

04/02/2013 at 22:32

It's very quiet on here lately!  Hope everyone's running is going ok?

I ran on the treadmill tonight.  Something didn't feel right, I couldn't get comfortable and so I stopped after 4k.  If I had any sense I'd have stopped at 2 or 2.5, but I did plenty of stretching so hopefully no harm done.

HM4
05/02/2013 at 19:09

Daveo,

I was thinking that & going to post tomorrow anyway.  Hope the niggle is okay.

------

I've started back running and am up to 2 miles a couple of times a week. I'm hopefully going to be starting a 10k plan either next week or the week after depending on the weather.

06/02/2013 at 07:25

Daveo I was also thinking the same..

Brighton HM now 11 days away  feeling a mixture of excitement and nerves. I know I can run this as I have gone up to 13.5 miles in training, I am just hoping that the weather is kind and not blowing a gale or snowing. Really can't do runnning into a headwind very well.

Downside my ankle is niggling me and after my long run on Sunday I had to ice it, am really hoping that it behaves itself until after the 17th. Will just have to wait and see.

Daveo I can't run on a treadmill for longerthen 5k I get all sorts of niggles in ankles and knees, not sure why, may be more to do with the repetitive action heightened?

HM4 glad to hear you are back running and good luck with your plan. Keep us posted how its going.

15,401 to 15,420 of 16,079 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.