A new 10k in under 60 mins thread?

They're all too fast in the other thread!

15,441 to 15,460 of 16,036 messages
HM4
11/02/2013 at 19:25

7th skip,

I'm falling victim to the horrible weather.  But then you guys know I'm a fair weather runner.  Next race for me is going to be Hook 2.5 miles in May.

11/02/2013 at 19:37

I have just entered a 10k in May. I got my 10k down to 56.38 a couple of years ago and although I can scrape under 60 for a 10k I am after a P.B

I have just downloaded a 15 week plan off smart coach and going to give it one more go

I love the cold weather but not the ice and this snow is getting boring now...

HM4
11/02/2013 at 19:43

FloPo,

Welcome back.  Good luck.

11/02/2013 at 19:54

Thanks HM4 glad your getting back into it despite the weather spring is a coming...

11/02/2013 at 22:17
Hey HM4 ,you will get there the hook 2,5 is a good one to enter , unfortunately I'm going to missit this year ,which is a pity as i would have done the 6 , maybe you should come and do a Basingstoke park run as part of your training ,always good fun , but either keep strong the weather will get better

Hey Flo Po a 10 k sounds good which one ? The cold weather is always okay ,but like you say the ice and snow is a problem , last week I got caught upon the hail it was like pins hitting me on the head , oooowwwww it hurt

Last time I was here I think I mentioned that I was running the great south well done that and even with a lower back injury well I went with no expectations and justto enjoy it , and well I thought it was great and the then achieved a better time than I was expecting I believe I done it in 1hour and about 34 min ,I was really pleased

Now I'm currently in training for the Reading Half marathon and yes again ,done it lastyearandnow I'm trying it again this year I was to beast years time lol , as you do
Traing has taken little hits due to weather ,the worst was weekend just gone ,sleet rain , and very cold so had to do treadmill , done well but this weekend it's back out on the pavements need to do another 10 to 12 miles , only 3 weeks of training left o boy what the hell was I thinking

I have been doinga few more park runs which I am enjoying however I am struggling from 3 k to about 4,5 k then I find My pace again , weird

Well that's me ,keep running everybody one foot in fron of the other
HM4
12/02/2013 at 18:11

7th skip,

It's a permanent fixture.  Hopefully I'll finally tame that sting in the tail incline in the last section.  Basingstoke is a bit far for a parkrun for me now as there's one in Havant, however the course is evil compared to Basingstoke.  It's thru Staunton Country Park and is more hillier than Basingstoke.  I've got to be honest I'm very tempted to go as far as Bushy Park if I have a really good training spell but it will mean an early start.

Good luck for Reading.  I'd love to do it but I hate winter training.

12/02/2013 at 23:05
Thanks HM4 ,wellings hope you enjoy the hook ,there will be lots of supprt as normal ,
15/02/2013 at 20:41

Brighton HM this Sunday and I have a cold . Dosing up on Vit c, Zinc and echinaechia in a bid to get rid of it, but feeling worse as the day goes on. Timing is horrible.

HM4
16/02/2013 at 08:35

Lisa,

Hope you don't race.  If you feel like that it doesn't sound like a good idea to.

17/02/2013 at 01:28

Hi Gang! sorry, have been AWOL so long I just can't catch up on all the posts

I hope we are all doing well?

Me? well, only ran 8 miles in January (calf pain) but have just started again and have a target of 50 miles in February - almost on target. I've also decided to stop trying to run faster each month and have slowed down to 12 min miles for all my runs this month and gone from running a mile without walking to 3 miles already! My goal is to run an hour without walking by the end of April when I'll sign up for the Loch Ness Marathon in September (we need goals right?).

Daveo, was it you that was doing the 100 pushup plan? If so did you succeed? I'm on week 5 at hundredpushups.com but think I need to repeat it as am struggling now.

Promise to nip in (much) more frequently and hope to catch up with ya'all

HM4
17/02/2013 at 09:53

Andi,

Just had a look at that 100 push up plan & it looks good.  Think I'll be starting that.

17/02/2013 at 19:15

I decided late last night to run the Brighton HM run today, despite being under the weather. I dosed up on Vit C, Zinc and Echinacea all day yesterday in a bid to be able to run and I just couldn't face pulling out of it at the last minute with all the training that I have done.

Left my house this morning wrapped up as it was -3 and very misty and arrived in Brighton to beautiful sunshine - obviously it was still chilly. Being cold it kept my snotty nose at bay .

First 6 miles felt quite comfortable and I was averageing about 8 min miles - I ran 10k in 47 mins, therefore knew that I had gone off far too fast. My pacing for races is really rubbish - need to work on this. Miles 6-9 I was averaging aboy 8 and 1/2 min miles was tiring at this point. Mile 10 we turned around right onto the seafront and was running into quite a head wind at this point I was shattered, probably not helped by being under weather and going off far too quickly. Mile 11 I literally though I was going to vomit , but thankfully I held it in. This was due to having a couple of swigs of Lucozade sport - I don't generally have any sugar in my diet as I eat a paleo diet and I think my body just objected to it.

Boy was I glad when I saw the sign for 900m. I resisted speeding up until I was near the 300m marker. I crossed the line in 1 hour 52 mins and 1 second. Really pleased with the time especially as I am not well. Feel like death warmed up now and again full of cold etc. Probably not the most sensible idea to run with a cold, but glad that I have now run my first HM. Now work starts to get sub 1hr 45 mins !!

HM4
17/02/2013 at 20:00

Lisa,

Well done, that's a cracking time.  Hope you recover quickly.

17/02/2013 at 20:55

Well done Lisa! that 1:45 will be easy when your well

18/02/2013 at 08:01

Running really is addictive, despite still feeling pretty rubbish (thankfully I have the day off work today) I am already in search of my next HM.

Anyone run Paddock Wood HM as this looks like a good one to aim for. Will give me a about 6 weeks of training to see if I can get closer to 1hr 40something. Really must start doing speed work/interval training, as although I believe they are the devils work  I think this aspect of training is what will bring the greatest rewards.

HM4
18/02/2013 at 08:24

Lisa,

It sure is what brings the greatest rewards.

18/02/2013 at 15:04

Well done lisa , congrats on your time and for being brave t take on the run and being down 

I went out on a 12 mile training run on sunday and what a fantastic run , 12 miles in 1 hour 53 minutes i tried my utmost to do at a good pace , really enjoyed it temperature was just right ,however the legs are feeling it today , but a gentle recovery treadmill run tonight with gym work and all should be good. well now on the count down to reading HM , 1 long run left , 1 short run and then race day (17th march ) i dont think there is much more i can do now , just maintaine the fitness and stay injury free

speak soon

HM4
18/02/2013 at 21:35

7th skip,

Well done.

18/02/2013 at 23:02

Lisa, I hope you don't meet the DOM's tomorrow

7th Skip, well done on the run, that sounds well fast so you should be good to go in the HM.

Well, too much alcohol late at night is bad for you! Woke up this morning with a confirmation email from Baxters Loch Ness Marathon - apparently I signed up!

29th September seems an age away (almost 32 weeks) and think I'll spend the next 12 weeks working on my stamina before launching into a training plan. When I started running again at the start of the month I could jog 2 miles before a walk break and today managed 4 miles so things are going the right way. Am aiming for 5 hours but will revisit that in 3 months time (it could go down as well as up depending on progress).

Oh, and have the Isle of Mull HM in August so that could be good timing.

HM4
19/02/2013 at 19:06

Andi,

Good luck.

15,441 to 15,460 of 16,036 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.