A new 10k in under 60 mins thread?

They're all too fast in the other thread!

15,481 to 15,500 of 16,077 messages
22/02/2013 at 07:59

Calf's a little sore from Weds morning so I'll give it a day or two extra, maybe run again Sunday.  It's not as severe a problem as it was last time though

HM4
22/02/2013 at 18:34

Andi,

Well done.

Daveo,

Take things easy.

22/02/2013 at 19:23
HM4 wrote (see)

Daveo,

Take things easy.

Yup, best to rest a day or two now rather than weeks later Daveo.

Ooh, tried a new trail run today. Just 2 miles but boy it was hard going trying to miss all the tree stumps, rocks and puddles so not much chance to take in the fantastic sea views. 1 mile out and same mile back had a total incline of 480 feet - thats about half the incline in the Loch Ness Marathon!!! (if what I read was correct lol).

HM4
22/02/2013 at 19:28

Andi,

The total incline figure was something I paid attention to when training for my off road half marathons last year however on the day of the races the only one which benefited from the attention was the South Downs Half I inadvertantly had ran on bits of the course.  I'd say try and find something of a similar profile in terms of the ups & downs and that would be much better.  Well done on the run.  Off road running is easier impact wise but there is a whole load of other things to consider and I've gone flying over tree roots before.

22/02/2013 at 19:43

Txs HM4, after reading up on the marathon it actualy has more downhill than uphill sections and have been advised to reverse some hill training - train the downhill sections and recover going back up.

One thing I'm in danger of doing is over analysing all this (I have spreadsheets for most everything lol).

HM4
23/02/2013 at 13:47

Andi,

I've got spreadsheets for virtually everthing also.

23/02/2013 at 15:19

Crikey lots of posts - which is good to see.

Andi wow you have really made some changes to your body compisition you must be really chuffed with the changes.

Daveo please take it easy and hope that your calves treat you well.

HM4 good luck with the press ups, I probably do a maximum of about 25-20 as part of my pilates classes but its really hard work.

Parkrun completed today with a new pb of 24.32 which I am pleased about especially as I ran it in my new vivobarefoots.

LSR planned for tomorrow, am trying to decide whether to continue with my marathon training therefore it should be 16 miles (I have been offered someone else's entry into Brighton marathon). Or I am kind of thinking about running another couple of HM's and aiming for an autumn marathon.... decisions decisions.

Happy running everyone

HM4
23/02/2013 at 15:37

Lisa,

Thanks.  Well done to you.

23/02/2013 at 16:20

Thanks Lisa and yes, I was amazed at what a difference a 3 1/2 inch reduction in my tum made! Congratulations on the PB - wonderful time!

Looks like your running is going well and I plan on starting LSR's again next week.

HM4, have been reading RW revies of the Loch Ness Marathon and there is some good advice in there along with some silly people. One guy gave poor scores for eveything yhen went on to say 'someone' told him it was all downhill so didn't bother doing ANY training lol. Another guy (not very good at maths) has run it 3 times each time a PB and his score for PB potential was 40% lol.

Have taken your advice about training on similar incline/declines and think I've found a run that matches the last big hill quite well so I'll do that route more often and use it for some of my hill runs when training proper starts. I always walk it at the end of a run so making it to the top will be a big bonus when it crops up in the race. 

HM4
24/02/2013 at 15:27

Andi,

That's normal for advice on here.

-------------

2.44 miles done & dusted.

24/02/2013 at 17:39

HM4 - well done

Took the weekend off as I went out for slow runs every weekday and managed just over 21 miles - hope to beat that next week and start LSR's (well, 6-7 miler to start).

24/02/2013 at 17:51

Thanks for the concern guys - I think it's pretty clear that there's something really wrong with my calf, or my technique... I'm off to see another therapist tomorrow, this lady uses the 'Rossiter system' which is about two-person stretching, I'm optimistic about it.  I'll be running the parkrun this saturday so most likely will only try to do one 2 miler between now and then.

25/02/2013 at 13:00

hi Guys 

hope everybody is well 

well ran a parkrun on saturday and achieved a PB which i thought was not going to be possible as the run on the day did not feel that quick but im not going to argue it 25mins and 54 sec for a 5k , not bad 

headed out on sunday for another 12 miler and ended up doing 12.19 so only a mile short of the Reading HM and well achieved 1hour and 57 minutes , but will have to say the run was horrible , weather got me down , sleet , snow flurries , wind just awful but done , now the time to start winding back , not sure if to do a 10 miler on sunday or an 8 but i make my mind up then but back in the gym tonight 

seems everybody is doing well with exception of injuries , but stay strong , dont push and you will recover and find yourself back out there 

stay safe guys 

25/02/2013 at 14:29

Daveo, hope it all goes well with the therapist today!

Well done on the PB 7th skip, it all sounds good for Reading

HM4
25/02/2013 at 17:52

7th skip,

Well done.

Daveo,

Hope things went well today.

25/02/2013 at 20:25

I really struggle at the last hill on one of my favourite routes so am going to start doing hill repeats on it. In total it's about .6 of a mile but chose .4 of it, the steepest part at 225 feet (average of the 3 runs). I've never managed to run up without a walkbreak and often a pause so was quite pleased when I made it up twice and the third time had to walk for about 20 metres. (and at the end of my run had to take 2 short walk breaks rather than walk up it all as I have been doing).

5.4 miles today with a total incline of 1144 feet

HM4
25/02/2013 at 20:30

Andi,

Well done.  That sounds as though it's going to be tough.

25/02/2013 at 21:10

Session with my new physio was really interesting - she stood on me in various places, I guess like trigger point therapy, with lots of weight!  It seems to me to have really got into the crux of the problem- I'm optimistic about the approach.  Am going to stretch a lot all week, and seeing her again twice next week

HM4
25/02/2013 at 21:19

Daveo,

Sounds promising.

25/02/2013 at 22:06

Daveo, fingers crossed this works for you

15,481 to 15,500 of 16,077 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.