A new 10k in under 60 mins thread?

They're all too fast in the other thread!

15,501 to 15,520 of 16,079 messages
26/02/2013 at 02:32

As a newbie runner, I'm entering my first 10k race on Easter Sunday, my principle goal is to finish!

My first ever 6.0 mile run (forget about the .25m to make the full distance Doh!) took 68:35. I'd set off with a target distance of 5 miles as my previous furthest run had been 4 miles, but I still felt good towards the end so did another lap of the block. I felt epic afterwards!

However a time of 60-65 minutes would be most welcome. Any suggestions?

26/02/2013 at 07:22
Hi daveo

Hope things work out for you p

Twisted sole
Not sure of your training at present but I find hill training trying to keep the pace up and trying to keep it the same up and down a hill works for me and of course interval training ,you will be looking at 10 min miles so a steady pace try and push , also try and look for training plans on google and see what recommend and take what works for you http://www.runningtrainingplan.com/schedules/BeginnersSchedule10k.pdf

And more importantly have fun , ifyoudont getting this time there is always next don't let it get you down

Stay safe
HM4
26/02/2013 at 08:53

Twisted Sole,

Echo what 7th skip has said.

26/02/2013 at 21:11
HM4 wrote (see)

Twisted Sole,

Echo what 7th skip has said.

As a newbie I concur as well though some people prefer to use the same 'effort' going up a hill as running on the flat. That will slow you down on the incline so (depending) on the race route you'd have to run the flat a little faster to compensate?

My recent targets..
Run for 60 minutes without a walk break
Run 5 miles continously
Run 5 miles in

27/02/2013 at 00:51

Thanks folks.

Since succeeding in my original goal of 5k,  I've been a little reluctant to try anything other than extending my mileage each week. I know this will have limited potential long term, but with my first 10k race at Easter, I feel I need to have banked a few 6-7 milers so that I'll know I can do it!

I guess I feel that "it ain't broke, so don' fixit" sums up my approach, mainly because I've yet to understand the benefits of interval/hill work yet.

27/02/2013 at 01:17

@Twisted Sole, again as 7th Skip says we don't know what training you do now but with almost 5 weeks left I suggest upping your LSR by a mile a week for the next 3 weeks up to a 9 miler then taper down (apparently) training in the final 2 weeks will have no positive effect on your race time and upping your LSR should give you more stamina for the race.

And as for my targets in my previous post, scrap them as I today I managed 5.66 miles in 67 minutes without a walk break with an average HR of 67%

27/02/2013 at 02:05

Thanks Andi,

I was planning on upping my game to 7 miles within the next fortnight, but I'll consider extending that to 9.

My plan consists of 1 or 2 5ks and the LSR a week, however a twisted ankle means I'm trying to rest up for now. I'm hoping to be fit by the weekend.

27/02/2013 at 02:10

@Andi, congratulations on your latest achievement.

I too ran non-stop for over an hour for the first time last week, and cannot believe the satisfaction it brings. I simply couldn't have imagined doing that at New Year.

27/02/2013 at 12:38

@ Twisted Sole, yes, it's a great feeling when you break that magic 60 minute mark and a real sense of achievement

Look after your ankle and don't go out if you think it will make things worse, missing a couple of runs now could mean the difference between running the race or bowing out due to injury.

27/02/2013 at 14:02

Hi All

Twisted sole , running for me is a sense of release where i can have time to myself with my thoughts , when i started running i was lucky if i could do 5 minutes on a treadmill now im doing my second HM 

if you injur yourself you need to rest and recover proberly and you will also find that you come back stronger ,

I personally dont go for times but they seem to happen naturally and when i achieved my under 1 hour for a six mile run i was absolutely amazed but once again i just run know what i want to do but i dont beat myself up if it does not happen 

happy running 

27/02/2013 at 14:40

The ankle is huge frustation hence the screen name. Thanks for the advice chaps.

HM4
27/02/2013 at 17:29

Andi,

Well done.

7th Skip,

Agree with the time thing.  There have been times when I've not been expecting a pb but put the right things in my training and I've achieved a pb.

HM4
28/02/2013 at 18:08

Today's press up challenge was definitely that as the cat decided she'd keep walking under me.  Still a total of 26 done with 9 in 1 go.

28/02/2013 at 18:18

HM4, well done! And you need to train your cat to sit on your back for a little more resistance

HM4
28/02/2013 at 18:35

Andi,

Thanks and that's not going to happen in a million years.  It takes 2 people to put the Minx in her pet carrier when it comes to vet trips.  Whenever she's picked up she growls and hisses.  The vets label her as feisty so we like her to see a different vet each time so they can get use to her.  Even the vet who gave her a kitten boost jab still remembers her and she's now 6 and is registered with a different surgery!

28/02/2013 at 20:45

lol HM4.

28/02/2013 at 22:08

Well done on the pushups HM4, coming along nicely already

HM4
01/03/2013 at 18:38

Daveo,

Thanks.  They're still push ups on my knees.  I don't think I'll try proper push ups until I've got to the end of the challenge.

01/03/2013 at 21:35
HM4 wrote (see)

Daveo,

Thanks.  They're still push ups on my knees.  I don't think I'll try proper push ups until I've got to the end of the challenge.

Yes HM4, they are still pushups and I have to do them sometimes to finish a set and am pretty sure even now you can do more of them than lots of people.

I know a women in the challenge I'm doing and last week she did her first pushup on her toes during week 4 - yesterday she did 5 straight.

Made a mistake today and went out for a 5 mile run 20 minutes after doing my 9 sets of pushups (total 245). My HR had gone down to normal but jumped right up as soon as I started however managed the 5 miles in 59:58 - not bad since my target was 60 minutes (though the pace wasn't exactly steady).

02/03/2013 at 08:10

FWIW if I were you I'd do a pre-100-pushups programme, get up to 40 or so on the knees, then switch to negatives and short pushups for a few weeks until I could do one properly, then begin the challenge from scratch.  That's what my wife did and she's now on 10 full pushups in her biggest set.  I firmly believe that anyone can do them given enough practice (barring injuries or other physical problems of course).  I'm also doing the 20 pullups challenge and basically right now I can't do 1 (a pullup is not the same as a chinup by the way, I can do those!)... I'm just jumping up and then controlling my weight on the way down... but I can really feel it in my muscles the day after and I will get there!

Yesterday's pushups for me were 29, 33, 29, 29,40 and I'm still coming on leaps and bounds - I know a few weeks ago 30 was a struggle, but now I can do those sets pretty easily.

Parkrun this morning at which I'll be running, so wish me luck!

15,501 to 15,520 of 16,079 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.