A new 10k in under 60 mins thread?

They're all too fast in the other thread!

15,521 to 15,540 of 16,039 messages
01/03/2013 at 21:35
HM4 wrote (see)

Daveo,

Thanks.  They're still push ups on my knees.  I don't think I'll try proper push ups until I've got to the end of the challenge.

Yes HM4, they are still pushups and I have to do them sometimes to finish a set and am pretty sure even now you can do more of them than lots of people.

I know a women in the challenge I'm doing and last week she did her first pushup on her toes during week 4 - yesterday she did 5 straight.

Made a mistake today and went out for a 5 mile run 20 minutes after doing my 9 sets of pushups (total 245). My HR had gone down to normal but jumped right up as soon as I started however managed the 5 miles in 59:58 - not bad since my target was 60 minutes (though the pace wasn't exactly steady).

02/03/2013 at 08:10

FWIW if I were you I'd do a pre-100-pushups programme, get up to 40 or so on the knees, then switch to negatives and short pushups for a few weeks until I could do one properly, then begin the challenge from scratch.  That's what my wife did and she's now on 10 full pushups in her biggest set.  I firmly believe that anyone can do them given enough practice (barring injuries or other physical problems of course).  I'm also doing the 20 pullups challenge and basically right now I can't do 1 (a pullup is not the same as a chinup by the way, I can do those!)... I'm just jumping up and then controlling my weight on the way down... but I can really feel it in my muscles the day after and I will get there!

Yesterday's pushups for me were 29, 33, 29, 29,40 and I'm still coming on leaps and bounds - I know a few weeks ago 30 was a struggle, but now I can do those sets pretty easily.

Parkrun this morning at which I'll be running, so wish me luck!

HM4
02/03/2013 at 08:23

Andy,

Sounds like I'm doing reasonably well then.

Daveo,

The plan is to complete the challenge with push ups on my knees then do it again with full push ups.  I'm wanting to get the 10 minute workout trainer dvds and know I need to do something about my arms before I start doing that.

02/03/2013 at 12:44

HM4, yes, I'd say your doing well so keep up the good work what Daveo says about the 'pre' programme obviously works as Mrs daveo is doing well but am sure your method would work as well

Daveo, guess what, I ordered a pullup/chinup bar yesterday so may well be asking you for tips in a week or so. Good going with the pushups and hope the parkrun went ok.

02/03/2013 at 18:01

@HM4 I get it... best of luck!

@Andi I'm useless at chiinups/pullups always was.  My brother is awesome at them so hopefully that means I have the genetics, just need to work on the basics.

Parkrun was the best fun.  I ran round with a friend for the first lap so took it nice and slow, then she wanted to back off so I sped up a bit and overtook all the way to the end.  No pain then or now; 28:41, which I'm pretty happy with to be going on with!

02/03/2013 at 20:01

@Daveo, will see how 'good' I am at them next week but not holding out hope to be any good for some time if at all

Well done on your Park Run, that's 1 second faster than my PB, maybe the easy lap helped in some way?

I'ts been a good week for 'records' and today was no exception, a 7 mile run and managed it without a single walk break. Am now feeling much more confident I'll be up to 10 continous miles before my marathon training starts in May

HM4
02/03/2013 at 21:06

Dave & Andi,

Well done.

HM4
03/03/2013 at 14:01

3.1 miles done this morning.

03/03/2013 at 16:04

@Andi it definitely does help to start off slow and build up - that's why you see people (those who know they have the strength to do so!) running around before the start of a race.

Well done on the run HM4.. I'm a bit stiff after yesterday, and nursing a bit of a cold, but did some pull ups and some core this morning, will do pushups tonight; no running though until after I've visited the physio again tomorrow night.

HM4
03/03/2013 at 16:06

Daveo,

Thanks.  I've got my push ups later on today also.

03/03/2013 at 17:32

Well done Daveo and HM4

No running for me today instead I walked a new route for hill loops. This little beast is only a couple of hundred metres from home and starts at sea level, it's .29 miles up and .44 miles back down. My Garmin was playing up as I walked it twice and the inclines were 244 and 185 feet (am thinking until I've repeated it a few more times I'll gueststimate it at 210 feet?).

Is this the correct formula for working out the gradient? Incline/Distance travelled? That would be 220/1580 = 14% gradient = pretty steep!

Exhaustion Test for pushups today and got to 60, 1 short of progressing into col 3 of Week 6 so think I'll stay in col 2 for another week

04/03/2013 at 13:51

hi All 

well done on all the runs and push up challenge , the push up challenge sounds like a bit of fun so might have to look into this and maybe tackle this myself 

well a weekend of note , parkrun on saturday smashed my pb again 25.19 , everything came together and was fantastic , maybe a little to quick did suffer with a stictch in the last km which slwed me down but soon recovered with a strong finish YAY me 

sunday , final long training run for the reading HM and done 12.35 miles in 1hour and 57 minutes , felt good , kept swearing at myself because i felt i could go quicker at some points but a good run , now last little push of training this week and to end with a 6 mile run on sunday 

keep up the hard work peoples its almost summer 

HM4
04/03/2013 at 18:20

7th skip,

Well done.  I know it's almost summer I can't wait.

04/03/2013 at 19:09

Well done on your runs 7th skip and think easy runs and rest would be good for you this week Best leave the pushup challenge till your over the HM

And guys, don't forget Summer doesn't start until 21st June and, spring comes first in just 16 days - much better running weather imho (though tbh we don't get that much sun here to make running difficult).

HM4
04/03/2013 at 19:14

Andi,

It comes early down here .  We've already got the daffs out and 7th skip is only about 30 miles north of me and I'm about 15 miles north of the south coast.

04/03/2013 at 19:54

lol HM4 and oh, on that note I saw my first Lamb of 2013 today now that is early! (gives me a great idea for sunday lunch).

HM4
04/03/2013 at 20:12

Andi,

Now that's something I've not seen yet down here and you're right about lamb for sunday dinner.

04/03/2013 at 23:02
Lamb for Sunday dinner , hmmmmmmm yeah now that sounds great , with nice mint sauce , all the trimmings followed with apple pie , yummmmy , lol
HM4
05/03/2013 at 18:34

2.46 miles done this morning and Hook Fun Run (2.5 miles) entered.

05/03/2013 at 21:37

Well done HM4 2 days without a run for me as work is very busy and just not found the time (still can't get up early for a run so must try harder).

15,521 to 15,540 of 16,039 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.