A new 10k in under 60 mins thread?

They're all too fast in the other thread!

15,561 to 15,580 of 16,079 messages
15/03/2013 at 19:16

HM4, completing week 3 is excellent you'll be doing 1 armed press-ups next

Lisa, sounds like a busy year for you and am sure your PB's will come a tumbling down

Just 2 races for me (so far) this Year, The Mull Half in August and Baxters Loch Ness Marathon in September. I say races but will probably run the half at marathon pace.

That said am now a full week behind in my base training (Man Flu) but made it out for 3.1 miles today and will try to catch up through the month (target is 75 miles for March and just 50 miles to go).

HM4
15/03/2013 at 20:56

Andi,

Yeah right - maybe in my dreams.  Don't worry about catching up on the miles that's when things really start to go wrong.

Lisa,

Good luck.

7th Skip,

I know not long now until Spring.

16/03/2013 at 17:41

Excellent point HM4, I'll just go back to my plan rather than try to play catchup.

That said I managed 8.34 miles today, most of the way out was uphill with the wind behind me but came back even slower than I went out and my Avg HR was up from a norm of 68% to 72% (I'm putting it down to still recovering from the Flu). End of the run was bang on my planned 12 min miles but was far from keeping an average pace (I guess this is what they call running to the weather conditions?).

17/03/2013 at 06:54

Andi well done on your run yesterday.

Weather here at the moment is awful, ran parkrun yesterday in 24.19 mins so 40 secs slower then the week before but put that down to running backwards at points due to the strength of the wind not a pleasnat running experience, more a character building session 

Hope to get out for a LSR today am really hoping for a slight improvement in running conditions.

HM4
17/03/2013 at 09:12

Lisa,

i was going to go out yesterday but was stopped by the weather also.  It's still rainy here but not as bad.

17/03/2013 at 18:44

Hi all. Can I join you here and pick your brains? Your title has drawn me in ...

I've just been running since the new year so am still a proper beginner. I've got my longest run up to 10k, which I'm delighted with ... but now I feel a little bit lost as I don't have my beginners training plan to prop me up any more!

I have a 10k race at the beginning of April and then at another at the end of May. I currently can do run 10k in 1hr9 and want to get it down to under an hour. 

The most reliable advice I have seen seems to be at this early stage that I just need to keep getting my mileage up until I'm doing about 40k a week. Now, I will just keep plugging away but does any one have any tips on anything else that helps improve a bit of speed without going full on while I'm upping my miles (kms!)

Thanks everyone ... enjoyed reading back through your thread!

17/03/2013 at 20:30

Hi rivergirl and welcome Guess I'm a novice too so take any advice from me with a pinch of salt

My 10k time is almost the same as yours but have stopped trying to improve right now as I'm base building in advance of Marathon Training (for Loch Ness in September).

How many times do you get out a week? what mileages for each run? and at what pace? Rather than spreading out your target of 40k I'd suggest adding mileage on to your weekly LSR to improve stamina then maybe consider some form of speed session in the week. I'm sure I read that 'beginners' will improve times quite quickly and it's only when they plateau that speed sessions play a role (though may well be corrected).

Enjoy your time here and you didn't really read all the previous posts did you??

17/03/2013 at 21:08

Hi Andi ... thanks for your reply!

I'm very early in trying to establish a proper routine as have come off a couch to 5k plan and a whole lot of run/walking. I'm running three times a week and at the mo it's 2x5k and a Sunday 10k. Was thinking of just extending all three of those for the moment.

Pace is all around the same no matter the distance - between 6.20-7mins a km. Faster than that doesn't really seem possible at the mo!

Loch Ness marathon! Had a look at that as I have a mate doing it ... looks amazing!

And I didn't go all the way back on the thread ... think that would have taken me all day

17/03/2013 at 21:23

@rivergirl, for now maybe just increase your long run by 1km/week and possibly slow down. Recently I could only run a mile or so before taking a walk break (running about the same pace as you do) and when I slowed down to 7:30 mins/k I quickly got up to 7.5 miles before a walk break, it's hard to do but it really helped me

I think i'm looking forward to Loch Ness but a long way to go still (one of the reasons I chose it is because it's a net decline lol).

17/03/2013 at 21:51

Thanks Andi. I'd read about not getting into a rut with running in one pace ... but I didn't consider that I could slow down on the longer runs! I'm going to give that a go next Sunday ... I was quite wrecked by the end of the run today so hopefully that will get me past the 10k mark and help me get the miles in.

Glad to hear Loch Ness is a net decline. I had a vision of steep hills all over the place! 

18/03/2013 at 13:28

hi all 

well firstly @ rivergirl , try a few uphill runs and try and keep them at the same pace its good for the legs , for example in traiing i ran alot of treadmill at a gradient of 8 , this i feel helps also do a bit of interval training so sprint and pace between lamp post , all has worked for me 

now the news , i completed the Reading half marathon yesterday and completly smashed my previous time of 2 hours 22 minutes , the hardest part of the run was the rain but after mile 2 who cared and then weaving in and out of people which i found very frustrating , upon completion i look at my Tracking programme and this indiated to me that i had done 13.6 miles so a half a mile of basically weaving so now my time , i completed the run in 2 hours and 47 seconds , i am one very happy bunny , however today my left leg has decided to be self suffiecient and operate independantly fromt he rest of body , lol 

good running everyone , i hope in your next race you are as happy as me 

HM4
18/03/2013 at 21:03

7th skip,

Well done.

Rivergirl.

If you've come off a beginners 5k plan have a look at a beginners 10k plan as that will help you get the distances in gradually and ensure you have step back weeks.

19/03/2013 at 00:35
Thanks 7th skip! Will have to travel for some hills though, as clue's in the name and is all pretty flat next to the river. Could try the treadmill but find it a bit mind-numbing! Well done on your half marathon time! You must be well chuffed.

HM4 ... all the beginners 10k plans would take my training back quite a few weeks as I can run 10k without stopping without too much difficulty though. There seems to be nothing to take me from there which is why I feel a bit in no-mans land!

Have had a look at some training paces after Andi's advice and this has made me think a lot more about how I can structure my own training until I get to a point I can think about speed. Feel much more focused now!
19/03/2013 at 01:08

Well done Skip! A brilliant time bettered by the 1/2 mile weaving you did

Rivergirl, I say net decline but there are hills (it is the highlands lol) and 3 that are reported as difficult. Living by a river I guess your idea of undulating is different to mine! Running from home all routes start with a couple of miles uphill so am hoping I'll not be put off when I get to the bigger hills in the Marathon

Am about to embark on a steep (pun intended) learning curve and awaiting deliver of a pair of Vibram FF Bikilas AND a pair of Huaraches. Don't think I'll be able to do the Marathon in either by September but want to try minimilist/barefoot and start forefoot striking in my 'normal' running shoes - will keep you all posted.

HM4
19/03/2013 at 07:18

Rivergirl,

It may be time to look at an intermediate plan or one which has speed work.

Andi,

Good luck. 

19/03/2013 at 11:38

thanks guys 

and good luck to all of you

me, i done a 4 km treadmill run last night , legs feel so much stronger today than yesterday in fact yesterday now seems just a blur in more ways than one , but now a week of rest , until of course the park run on saturday 

rivergirl , treadmills are boring and mnd numbing but they do help with gradient running if you have no hills in the area , it will come its just making it happen 

HM4
19/03/2013 at 15:29

7th Skip,

Well done.

-----------

Day 1 of week 4 of the press up challenge done this afternoon and it wasn't easy. Also did 4 miles this morning.

19/03/2013 at 20:03

Andi good luck with your journey down the minimalist road.

I too run in minimalist mostly. I wear VFF's to work, run in vivobarefoots up to about 7 miles and saucony Kinvara's for my LSR, although I did run a 12.5 miler in my Vivo's but the soles of my fee/balls of my feet were quite sore after a while from feeling over crack and stone in the road. I prefer my VFF's the best though, but can't bring myself to run in them for fear of ruining them - they are so comfy.

Keep us updated on your journey, but take it extremely slowly your calves will thank you for it 

HM4 well done on both counts.

Rivergirl, welcome to the thread, as already suggested find a 10k plan that suits you. If the beginner plans look to easy then find an itermediate one. Do you have a Parkrun near you, they are free 5k timed events and really beneficial for upping your speed and allows you to see the progress that you make.

I have for the last few runs been trying to keep my HR between 70-75% (after reading the stuff on Hadd training), this has caused me to slow down at least by 2min/mile. I really want to give this way of training a shot but I don't think that I have the patience especially as I have a few races coming up this year. So am now going to investigate the benefits of traditional training (including tempo's and intervals) versus Hadd style...

HM4
19/03/2013 at 20:15

Lisa,

Well done & good luck with the Hadd training if you go down that route.

20/03/2013 at 00:01

7th Skip, sounds like your recovery is going well

HM4, well on on the push-ups, I've been slacking and promise to get beck to Week 7 tomorrow.

Lisa, thanks and am looking forward to it My Vibrams arrived today but much too big so getting a (much) smaller pair. My Huaraches arrived today and replaced my slippers with them for a few days. I will of course take things slowly but think my recent calf extension exercises will help 'speed' things along

I'm still doing my base training prior to my Marathon traning and (sort of) following Hadd. Lisa, whilst 2mm does sound a lot slower I have slowed to 12mm and managed to run 8.4 miles without a walk break (used to be a mile or so). I do believe that by running slower you will run faster (is that an Oxymoron?). And nothing wrong with slow running (Hadd) and tempo/interval training on different days is there?

Oh, my normal runs used to be at 75% of MHR and by slowing down my average is now 68% and I run continously.

Edited: 20/03/2013 at 00:04
15,561 to 15,580 of 16,079 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.