A new 10k in under 60 mins thread?

They're all too fast in the other thread!

15,601 to 15,620 of 16,079 messages
HM4
26/03/2013 at 18:44

Well done guys.

29/03/2013 at 22:47
Hey all

Hope your all having a fantastic long weekend ,and that you run off all those chocolate eggs that you going to have , me I'm off to my first parkrun since my HM tomorrow , but my training has slipped big time

I back in the gym but very little motivation , getting things done , even ran for an hour on the treadmill on Thursday cause I could not decide what I wanted to doin the gym,how sad is that , I suppose the saving grace is that I am doing something

And experience tells me although I still class myself as a newbie that it will alll slot in to place when it's ready

Take care all speak soon
30/03/2013 at 07:50

Skip, have you any future races lined up - it may be that you are experiencing the post race blues? I know that in the week after I ran my first HM I thought what now and could have easily lost my motivation. That was until I until I booked a few more races, so now I am running another HM next weekend, a 10K in May a 15 mile race in July and another HM in September. I call it my post race flurry of activity . I have also got my eye on another HM in June but I am also going to concentrate on Hadd (HR) training after next weekend. I love having a plan or something to work to, this really keeps me motivated. I hope my rambling has given you something to consider?

Will probably head out for an easy 3-5 miler today, and then a 12-14 miler tomorrow all run at HR of about 70% hopefully.

Happy running all

30/03/2013 at 13:47

Hi all, 

First parkrun today. Not able to run all week because work was nuts so felt a little rusty. Then first proper 10k race on Monday. Looking forward to having official times so I can start to think about beating them and getting close to an hour

Though I'm new runner I can say it's definitely the abilty to have training plans and loads of little and bigger goals which makes this the best form of getting fit by a mile for me! That takes care of the motivation for me!

HM4
30/03/2013 at 21:10

7th Skip,

How did you get on with the parkrun

Lisa,

Good luck for the lsr tomorrow.

Rivergirl,

Excellent.  Well done.

31/03/2013 at 13:20

7th Skip, well done on the treadmill run and as HM4 asks how was the Parkrun?

Lisa, good luck for today's LSR and the 70% average

I had planned on a 10 miler yesterday but was dehydrated and only managed 5 miles (though did enjoy the excess of beer and Single Malt on Friday night). Probably won't go out today and will rest up ready for next week - have given myself a target of 80 miles for April and hope to smash that. 

HM4
31/03/2013 at 13:24

Andi,

Well done & good luck with the mileage next month.

01/04/2013 at 22:59

Txs HM4

Today was a weird run, I decided to turn off the pace screen on my garmin and just plod along for 4 miles keeping my HR below 75%. The first 2 miles was basically uphill (Sea level to 515 feet) and rather than turn round I carried on over the top and down a forest trail toward the shore (500 foot decline). The return was quite hard but knew the final 2 miles were downhill again so off I trotted with a few walk breaks when my HR went over 75%.

7.79 miles in 93 minutes and as my goal 'pace' is 12 min miles I was amazed the run averaged  11:58 without using any gadgets to pace myself. Average HR was 68%

I'm a bit confused by my garmin though cos it says the total incline was 1340 feet in my Training Centre but on the Garmin Connect Site using the same info it says Elevation Gain of 290 metres! (951 feet).

01/04/2013 at 23:54
Hey HM4 parkrun went okay , okay truth be told it hurt like a b.tch but done it in 26.16 so quite happy really ,
Then stupid of me went out for a run on Sunday and well went for 6 miles and loved it ,

But I have realised that I am a little injured , but nothing that can not be cured with time but I'll get there

Thanks for all the support , I have spoken to a PT at the gym and we are going to sit down and chat about a new programme to try and get the mojo back

Well done everybody you all seem up to be doing well onwards and upwards

Speak soon
HM4
02/04/2013 at 07:35

Andi,

Well done.  Don't get too hung up on the elevation - it's just different ways of recording the same thing.  The main thing is to try and make sure the hills are in the same place on your training runs as in the race.

7th Skip,

Well done, hope recover quickly.

02/04/2013 at 20:07

Txs HM4 and have been looking for routes that look similar to Loch ness (though shortened of course) no problem finding inclines/declines but there is nowhere I can find with more than a couple of hundred yards of flat road!

Today was my second day running with the pace screen on my garmin turned off and guess what, got a 10k PB, even better my average HR was just 68%. Bad news is the time was 67:53 so still a long way off that magical sub 60

04/04/2013 at 18:24

After my 10k PB on Tuesday I went out to attack my 5k PB (since starting running again) but set out (much) much too fast and called it a day after a mile and 07:55 - not too bad cos I knocked 107 seconds off my old Mile PB!

That old mile PB was slow as I'd just run a 4:42 kilometre and not sure I'll beat that for a while. Two minutes rest and set off to do a slow 5k which had plenty of walk breaks in it

04/04/2013 at 18:26
Hey all

Andi don't worry training runs never seem to reflect what you do on race day , race days are always better

Me I have found out what's happened this week , I came down with the lurgy , yep so me completely rundown , hey ho

Time to get better then hit the roads and start again ,looking at signing uproar the great south again this year

Speak soon
HM4
04/04/2013 at 18:28

Andi,

Well done.

7th Skip,

Hope you're back to normal quickly.

04/04/2013 at 18:45

Txs HM4 and 7th Skip

Hope the dready lurgy doesn't hang around for too long! Man Flu put me out of action for almost 2 weeks in March so know how you must be feeling

05/04/2013 at 16:03

Ran 9.88km In 60 mins this week that is the best I have ran so far. 8 weeks till my first 10k & have completed my c210k training plan. Going for my slow run tonight. In terms of increasing the time/distance what would you guys suggest from being able to run 60mins non-stop at the moment?

HM4
05/04/2013 at 19:14

Jonathan,

Have a look at a slightly more advanced 10k plan.

07/04/2013 at 18:37

Paddock Wood HM ran today in 1 hr 47mins and 59 seconds, so pleased to break the 1hr 50 mins bracket as that was my aim 

Next race is Bupa 10k and am hoping to run this in about 46-47 mins so will work on some speed work over the next few weeks.

Skip glad you found the reason for your lost mojo and hope that you are feeling better now.

Jonathan good luck with your training - I am off to find an advanced 10k plan now!

HM4
07/04/2013 at 18:39

Lisa,

Well done & good luck with the 10k training.

07/04/2013 at 19:00

Well done Jonathan and looks like an advanced 10k plan is the way to go

Brilliant run Lisa! looks like all your training is paying off

No biggy compared to you guys but did 10.4 miles in 125 minutes today - a distance record for me and 29 miles for the week is another 'best' weekly mileage. Seemed a hard run as my pacing was all over the place but ended up bang on my 12 min mile target (mainly thanks to the last 2 miles which is virtualy all downhill. And, first run ever with more than a 2,000 foot total incline (out and back so had the benefit of 2,000 downhill feet as well).

15,601 to 15,620 of 16,079 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.