A new 10k in under 60 mins thread?

They're all too fast in the other thread!

15,801 to 15,820 of 16,036 messages
27/05/2013 at 14:59

Esme huge well done on your first Parkrun, fab stats and brilliant time - which one is your local as i was giving out the finishing tokens this week?

London Bupa 10k for me today - new pb of 46.42 - (still waiting on offical time, this was on my trusted Garmin). Over the moon as was hoping for a sub 48, and I had to slow down a few times due to congestion in places, and it was pretty hot out there today. Celebratory glass of wine for me this evening, before my marathon training starts next Monday 

27/05/2013 at 20:19

Hey everybody!   Hope your running is going well.

Well done on the PB Lisa, I'd love to go that fast!

My running is still going well, I'm very happy with how fit I feel.  I entered a triathlon so have been mixing in a bit of swimming and cycling; Friday I did a 'gym triathlon', that is swim bike and run in the gym with minimal transitions - 500m swim, 15km ride, 2.7km run (for that is the distance of my race) in 1hr.  Also bought myself a racy road bike

Ran 4 miles yesterday which is 0.4 miles further than my plan and I felt GREAT.  Shins a bit on the sore side, but nothing I can't handle; physio is still going well.

HM4
27/05/2013 at 21:06

Well done guys.

27/05/2013 at 21:11

You lot are flying! I did a nice 10k tempo today, average pace 9.54 mm including warm up and cool down (but goodness it was hot out.....).

28/05/2013 at 00:22

Don't worry Susan, your faster than me

I took the last 3 days off and already thinking my (planned) 6 days a week Marathon training may be too much for me as I seem to be tired all the time (reach for the stars and all that).

Found out today that I got my first ever Tic on Friday and by now it was quite bloated after it's weekend feast! It was on the inside of my left calf and after a quick Google drove up to the surgery where a delighted Nurse removed it quite easily then sat there with it running over her (gloved) hand while she ran through all the gory details of disease etc (yup, am a bit of a wimp).

28/05/2013 at 08:11

Andi marathon training is a strange beast isn't it? I have lots of determination but my body isn't as prepared to keep up - as I start to edge towards 45 miles a week I tend to get ill, no matter how long it takes me to build up. I had a dreadful chest infection that stopped me running for nearly three weeks this March, and it started after I insisted on doing a 20 mile run feeling less than 100%.

Congratulations on the tic by the way! I think I would be quite fascinated (but only by one feeding on someone else....).

HM4
28/05/2013 at 18:32

Susan,

That's quick for an average speed.  How many days a week is your plan. It may be better to look for a 3 day per week plan.

Andi,

Ouch that sounds painful.

28/05/2013 at 18:59

Susan, I'll tell you how I get on with distance, still not made it to 30mpw

HM4, the tic (and removal of it) wasn't painful at all which surprised me - it was seeing it's body pulse whilst stuck in my leg that got to me 

5 mile run at (planned) MP today, should have been 11:16mm's but ended up at 10:58.

28/05/2013 at 19:21

HM4 I usually run 4-5 days a week, the only thing I never change is my long run once a week - I could do with a bit more cross training so I'm doing 4 runs plus 1 circuits class at the mo (and feeling pathetically sore after circuits each week, I'm such a wimp). 

Andi surprising how the mileage tots up when you get those really long runs in, though I'm not doing the super long ones right now and so the very thought of them is quite intimidating again.....

HM4
29/05/2013 at 19:16

Susan

I'm not sure if you're following a plan however that may be an idea.  Some of them do also have cross training also so it may help you 'juggle' the running and other training you do.

31/05/2013 at 22:40

Susan, looking ahead at my Marathon Schedule yes, some weeks will equal my low mileage months. The Sat 10 miles @ MP followed by 20 mile LSR's will no doubt kill or cure me

Tomorrow I have  6 miles at MP (11:16mm) so may drive to a flattish part of the Island and see if I can improve on my current 10k of 67 mins. I think a mental thing with me is I want to go sub 60 but should try to shave a minute or so off at a time rather than trying in one go then failing badly.

01/06/2013 at 18:46

Had a 3 minute stop during my attempt to beat my 10k PB (in training) so whilst I guess it's not a 'real' PB it's the fastest I've covered the distance so claiming it lol.

1:05:55 is 77 seconds faster than my previous best. Was hard work and the reason for the 3 minute stop was my inability to vault a rock at the side of the road - caught my foot on it then proceeded to swing my arms all over the place before I stumbled into a wall and jarred my shoulder stopping myself. A nice couple in their car watched it happen and reversed to check on me

Not looking good for my 13 mile LSR tomorrow as am in a fair bit of pain.

01/06/2013 at 21:27

Ouch Andi! 

HM4
02/06/2013 at 07:41

Andi,

Ouch.  Take things easy & listen to you body for today's run.

02/06/2013 at 09:26

Hey guys, I made it up to 4.5 miles this week, plus parkrun yesterday and tons of cycling and swimming - feel like I'm turning a corner, though my calves are pretty sore today so will take it easy today and just swim.  I intend to go along to my club run for the first time in ages this week, as it's 5 miles and I finally feel like I'm ready for that

I found these videos after following advice from my chiropractor on what to search for, which I'm really excited about - they look and feel like they're going to target just the right bit.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwWOZGyE3DQ www.youtube.com/watch?v=npolukmGdaI www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f7hRaiyp1Q  

Quite a bit of plantar fascia pain on both feet the last few days so if anyone has any suggestions for stretches or exercises to help overcome that, I'm all ears

I'm also having trouble with one toe, it's sprained I think (did I tell you about my accidental 8.5 mile barefoot walk?), doesn't bother me too much but I can feel it's not ok after I've been running.  I broke the middle three toes on my left foot doing karate when I was young, one of them a couple of times, so they're pretty messed up!  Probably another indicator that barefoot is probably not right for me

@Andi - congrats on the PB mate - you're so close to the magic 60, I can feel it!

Edited: 02/06/2013 at 09:29
HM4
02/06/2013 at 15:06

Daveo,

Sounds encouraging.

--------

Managed to get to the running club this morning & did 4.75miles mainly off road then spent a couple of hours walking round a vintage car show.

07/06/2013 at 00:13

Hey all well done on the running , hope everyone is well ,well once again I've been lacking in here  well seems everyone is doing well or I'm reading it wrong 

however now I ave signed up for thr next challenge the great south run , oh dear and then done park run over the weekend and a new pb 25.08 on the Basingstoke alternate course so really please 

well guys keep up the hard work ,and listen to your own body it works trust me 

Edited: 07/06/2013 at 00:19
HM4
07/06/2013 at 18:51

7th skip,

Well done & good luck for the GSR.

09/06/2013 at 13:59

Guess what. I just did my first ever 10km race today. according to my run keeper ( race results not online yet but will be slightly quicker) I did it in 57mins 18 seconds.

Considering I literally started running on roads and park runs 10 weeks ago I'm pretty happy with that

HM4
09/06/2013 at 14:36

Kevin,

I bet you are. Well done.

15,801 to 15,820 of 16,036 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.