A new 10k in under 60 mins thread?

They're all too fast in the other thread!

15,821 to 15,840 of 16,079 messages
13/06/2013 at 20:30

Daveo, hope your recovering ok now? Had a quick look at the vid's, I'm doing plenty of calf raises/lowering and the olde wall pushing with straight and bent leg - seems to be easing my calf pain so best keep it up.

HM4, well done on the run and the walk round the car show Not vintage but I used to own a brace of 1966 Wolseley 1660's

Skip, well done on the PB, a time I doubt I'll ever achieve.

Kelvin, excellent time Sir! A sub 60 10k is on my wishlist but not (currently) doing any 10k training but watch this space

Hi Tops - I was going to try Hi Hi Tops but thought that was over the top Great time and a great reason for doing it. Yup, sounds like you have bitten the bug so look forward to those times improving even more!

14/06/2013 at 14:11

Finally got my sub 60 minute time for 10k YAY (56:22) but appear to have damaged my knees in the process (damaged cartilage) Boo!!!

At least this will give me something to aim for when i'm finally able to run again.

Fed up of crutches already and if one more person tells me that running is bad for you i may scream.....

HM4
15/06/2013 at 15:07

Sub60just,

Well done.  Hope the knee recovers soon.

Andi,

There were some of those at the show or they looked very similar.

HM4
16/06/2013 at 14:47

Race report time (Ladies 5 mile in Purbrook):-

Everything looked as though it was going to go wrong today as the 'bag boy' said he'd got a migraine so didn't provide his services which was also going to include chauffeur duty.  However after getting to the race and chucking my change of clothes bag in the boot I had a race number wrote out for me as this still hadn't arrived in yesterday's post.  Did a warm up & walked to the start and was hoping that the rain wouldn't show it's face as it was drizzly before the start.

Checked my watch about 2-3 min after the start and was surprised and pleased to see 11 min miles as this was the pace I wanted to run at so I didn't end up walking at any point as it's an undulating/hilly course.  By this time the only thing behind me was the sweep person.  The first mile was a real surprise (10:34). I slowly made my way thru the field and kept overtaking people until the very last person I overtook who sprinted past me towards the finishing tunnel - there wasn't a sprint in me. I was disappointed in the goodie bag which was just a bottle of water and a medal as usually there's a money off voucher for Alexandra Sports, however they were let down by the person/company who does the bags with only 2 months to go & didn't have enough time to arrange a replacement.  However it's still a well organised race.  Decided to jump straight into the car without getting changed to see how the bag boy was & when I got in he was still in bed with the migraine just beginning to go and groggly waking up.

Splits :-  10:34, 10:32, 10:29, 10:57 (the really hilly mile), 10:16 (downhill mainly) and I accquired an odd .02 miles which worked out to 9 min miles.  Ave pace 10:33.

---------

I'm really chuffed with this as I've currently got a neck/shoulder problem and hadn't ran in a week.

17/06/2013 at 15:21

Sub60just, welcome, a great time there and hope you get to throw the crutches away soon

Great review and time HM4! A good Sunday mornings running and hope the bag boy was sufficiently recovered to pamper you for the rest of the day? Taking the really hilly bit out of the equation you had nice steady splits tool

HM4
17/06/2013 at 20:59

Andi,

Not a chance he was feeling quite sorry for himself.  I know, I do tend to have consistency when it comes to pace.  It's only if I'm having a really bad day things are all over the place with the exception of when I'm doing a progressive run or want to do the same thing during a race.

18/06/2013 at 22:25

I'm still here! Well done HM & I like the race review. 

My race number arrived at the weekend! Getting nervous about it already & there's still 3 & half weeks to go! Been tempo running & hills plus my long run is now at 7miles. I know I can run the distance (which was my initial challenge) but now I want to run it faster :-/ 

19/06/2013 at 13:44

hi Guy s

nice run report HM4 welcome to new guys ,

well nothing really to report at the mo except having some great training runs really enjoying it , done park run on saturday and got another PB 24.38 so really pleased with myself , need to slow down a bit but just really enjoying my runs 

emse what are you running 

anyone here going to do yateley 10k this year 

HM4
19/06/2013 at 17:54

Emse,

You will run faster have patience.

7th skip,

Well done.

19/06/2013 at 18:03

HM4, hope the 'Bag Carrier' is fully recovered now?

Emse, sounds like your training is going well and knowing you can run the distance is a big boost - am sure you'll be fine

7th skip, maybe in a year (or two) I might be able to come back here and say I can run as fast as that but it's doubtful and well done!

As for needing to slow down I'll second that as I've been HADDing since February when my 10k PB (in training btw) was 1:07:20, 1st June it was 1:05:56 and today managed 1:03:17. Hadding is all about HR and for the 3 times above my HRR% was 79, 75 and (today) 68% so am getting faster and running at an easier HR

19/06/2013 at 22:01

Hi 7th skip, I'm running the Leeds 10k in July. My first 10k and race excluding parkruns. 

Finally found my natural pace for easy/long runs & tempos. Need to get out on another parkrun and beat my time now

20/06/2013 at 20:45

Hey all, long time again!  Welcome to the new folks  I've been back to my club, yay  And last night 56 minute 10k round (and round) the field - double yay!  Hope all is well with you all

21/06/2013 at 00:32

Emse, good to hear hear your found the 'right' pace and am sure you'll be back very soon with a new PR PB

Daveo, 'yay'! great time maybe we should ban you from this thread as your too darn fast

21/06/2013 at 22:27

8 miles today @10:52/mile so 24 secs/mile faster than (planned) first Marathon Pace

HM4
22/06/2013 at 13:09

Well done guys.  We don't have a working phone & broadband connection at the mo so I'm making do with my phone's tiny screen which isn't very usable when it comes to internet.  Hopefully it's going to be fixed soon as it's been like this since Tuesday.

HM4
24/06/2013 at 18:21

Phone & broadband working now !

24/06/2013 at 19:12

Welcome back HM4

Now you can tell us what you have been up to whilst away, just running activities will suffice

4 miles recovery run today after yesterday's 16 miler

HM4
24/06/2013 at 19:33

Andi,

Just went for 1 run, however off tomorrow and have the weekend off because it's my birthday next Sunday so hope to get in a few runs.

24/06/2013 at 21:18

Easy one tonight 2 miles, recovering from the weekend 8 miles. 

Question for you guys ... So LSR pace - surely as you get fitter etc this should slowly get faster too? I cannot run slower than 6min /k it feels sooo wrong, yet calculators etc suggest this is too fast. It doesn't feel it! I'm only trying to run 10k too so no crazy marathon ambitions yet! 

24/06/2013 at 21:31

Emse, I'm slow anyway and (currently) happily plodding along but have found I'm going (a bit) faster these days. Have you been to the MacMillan site? You enter a recent race time and it comes up with training paces and since I tried to start using them based on my target Marathon Pace things seem easier - I used to run everywhere around 6:20k but happily plodding along a minute/k slower and actually improving (and it's easier on your legs).

15,821 to 15,840 of 16,079 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.