A new 10k in under 60 mins thread?

They're all too fast in the other thread!

15,881 to 15,900 of 16,035 messages
07/07/2013 at 23:16

Glad to hear it HM4, take things easy and you'll be flying again in no time

HM4
08/07/2013 at 09:25

Andi,

Thanks.  With the high temperatures down here it's impossible to do anything else.  Tomorrow's run is likely to be early and along a beach about 30 min drive away.

14/07/2013 at 14:42

Hey all, 

Completed my first 10k race today! It was really good, would have preferred 10 degrees cooler mind you! Felt my arms burning just lining up at the start. 

Despite all my worries there were start areas for different times so I lined up in the sub 55 min group. I was well beaten by "Batman & Robin" but managed to beat Bananaman!! 

Final time was 49:31 & I am extremely happy with that! 

HM4
14/07/2013 at 18:27

Emse,

Well done.

-----------

My running has taken a set back in that I tripped over a tree root on Tuesday when running and today I could only manage 800 metres without it hurting too much.

15/07/2013 at 14:37

Oh no, you were just getting back into it too! I avoid off road as I am so clumsy. I struggle if there's too many kerbs to cross! 

HM4
15/07/2013 at 19:46

Emse,

I know and the weather has been really good down here.  I use to be able to run really well in weather like this so it's annoying.

16/07/2013 at 20:10

HM4, sorry to hear about your trip and hope things recover soon!

Emse, sub 50 is fantastic for your first 10K so a BIG well done

Am in France at the moment and tried to run last Thursday but it was still almost 30 degrees at 7pm so have been taking a rest from running and drinking/eating instead Nipped over to Italy today for 'Lunch' and had a great time stripped to the waist just a few feet away from the snow, it must have been 30+

HM4
16/07/2013 at 21:10

Andi

Thanks.  Sounds like you're having a good holiday.

17/07/2013 at 08:35

Hey guys, long time no post because I'm losing patience with this site - every time I've tried to post the last few weeks I've been scuppered by server errors or worse, on the phone where I usually post they've now got this annoying floating advert that gets in the way and has such a small close button I can't close it without undue effort.  If when I try to post this, it fails, I think this may be my last attempt.

Anyway, longest runs lately have been 7.75 mi in the heat last monday, club Weds 5mi, Sunday I ran 8, but that was just brutal - think I went 12 in total because I 'adopted a run walk strategy' from the start, dehydrated and feeling weak - took me 2.5 hours to fit in my 8 miles!  

Hope you're all well!  Congrats on that amazing time Esme - I'd love to go sub 50!  Hope your injury is only minor HM4

HM4
17/07/2013 at 18:25

Daveo,

Well done.  It's only bruising & stiffness.  Have you tried changing your web browser?

HM4
27/07/2013 at 18:42

Hope everyone's getting lots of running in.  I've been doing a wee bit of decorating which seems to be taking ages just to do 1 room.

27/07/2013 at 23:59

Daveo, the 'advert' is starting to p$ss me off to (on the laptop) and not had email notifications since April so trying to post on fewer threads so I can keep up. Yup, this heat is getting to everybody and probably moreso to HADDers (I'm still trying to follow HADD). Walk breaks seem to have become the norm even here on Mull!

HM4, hope you recover swiftly and enjoy the decorating

Just the 1 run in 10 days whilst in France and enjoyed the break. This week started badly with a 3 mile jog on Monday and ended up in hospital with what is now thought an Adder bite on my right hand, was quite an impressive swelling! All is fine now and sitting on 35 miles for the week so will try an nip out for a 6 miler tomorrow to make it the furthest I've run in a week (so far). 

Still not cracked the sub 60 min 10k (63:17) though am still Marathon training and have a HM 11th August and aim to finally manage 59* after them

28/07/2013 at 09:44

Hey guys,

@Andi yeah heat will raise the heart rate cos the blood needs to be circulated for cooling so a bit harder to keep a lid on it during the summer.  I've heard some people say you can adjust your targets to compensate and others disagree - I just run a bit slower

I never did finish my pushup challenge because I'm having some physio on my shoulders/neck (work related problems!) and I don't want to do anything that will tighten those muscles up until it's well under control.  I did get so that I could do multiple sets of 30+ though, which is waaay stronger than I was before.  Interestingly since I've stopped doing them that feeling of invincible 'I can exercise all day' strength has declined - either I was going through a particularly good patch then, or the pushups were stimulating me well - look forward to getting back into them when the shoulders are loosened up a bit.  I think my shoulder/neck thing shows me two things though - good posture in front of the computer is vitally important, and building up big muscles can cost you so much flexibility if you're not careful that posture problems and discomfort will follow.  I think maybe I'll stick with bodyweight stuff mostly and try to keep bulk down from now on... I'm getting older anyway, it's probably a good idea to trim down before it all starts to sag!  By the way I don't think it was the pushups that caused my problems (on going long term bad working posture, and heavy weight lifting were the culprits there), just abstaining while I get it fixed.

Last night I ran in my club's annual race - a vertical up and over the local 'mountain', very muddy and slippery too in the rain we had yesterday.  It's just about 6 miles and I came home in 56:40.  Funny, beforehand I would have said I was happy with anything sub 1:05 given the conditions, and I enjoyed every second of it, but I see everyone else with times about 47, 48 minutes and I feel a bit inadequate.  Anyway, my first race in absolutely ages, I started out slow, took the uphills at a very moderate pace (even walked large sections of it) then had the energy to fly down the downhill bit.  My goals were to not be the last club runner home, and to not get overtaken by anyone.  By the end I'd caught up with people who were running as fast as I was able to run and I never did get overtaken, so pretty happy - had great fun, just wish I was faster so that I was mid pack and not so close to the back!

HM4
29/07/2013 at 08:35

Daveo,

Funny you should say that about the push up challenge becuase I found the same thing.  I've put it down to the core strength.  Well done on the race.

Andi,

Well done on the training.

29/07/2013 at 10:08

What was the push up challenge? I tried a squat challenge, but got a bit bored & I think the cracking noises from my knees wasn't a good sign! 

33k's last week, just plodding along really. If anyone can suggest some easy speed sessions that would be good. I don't have a garmin, so everything has to be in measures of a minimum 1k or 5mins which is making finding a session to follow difficult. 

HM4
29/07/2013 at 20:32

Emse,

I think it was from the same website.  It was to achieve 100 push ups in 1 go.  Before I got a garmin I measured everything in time.  It was the only way I could do it and if it said 200m for the reps I use to run for the time instead & used McMillan Running Calculator to help me work out the time for the reps.

30/07/2013 at 00:03

Daveo, yup, the hotter it gets the higher the HR goes so as I'm HADDing right now I go (sometimes) much slower but am finally learning that pace isn't everything for an old dog like me

Well done on your run! you hit your goals so should be proud

As for the pushup challenge, HM4, your correct I think and can you find the challenge on the same site as the squat challenge (another one I failed at). I managed to get to 63 pushups in one set and (about) 300 during a workout of 10 sets.

HM4
30/07/2013 at 19:30

Andi,

I daren't do the squat challenge as I do have dodgy knees.  I'm looking at the sit up challenge though.  May use that to help kick start my running.  Although we're decorating the whole flat and need to manage where the cat goes which is going to be difficult when it comes to the glossing hence starting with the easiest room as she's always shut out of the bathroom.

30/07/2013 at 20:51

Enjoy the decorating HM4 

Another one I tried was the Tricep dip challenge and quite enjoyed it, so much so I almost have Triceps lol.

As for running, I've still not broken 60 mins for 10k (though I've not tried for a while) but am happy to say 10k is quickly becoming one of my shorter runs now the Marathon is just 8 weeks away. I never thought I'd say that!

HM4
31/07/2013 at 17:39

Andi,

That challenge sounds like a killer.  Good luck with the marathon not long to your taper now.

15,881 to 15,900 of 16,035 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.