A new 10k in under 60 mins thread?

They're all too fast in the other thread!

15,941 to 15,960 of 16,077 messages
26/08/2013 at 22:17

Hi Darren, no tips from me as I've not gone under 60 (yet) but enjoy the race and as HM4 say's it will be a PB - it's the next one that really counts

How is the training going and following a plan? got some training times?

27/08/2013 at 06:53

Not been running that long really but think I am fairly fit due to being keen on mountain biking .

Happy with my training but not really very disciplined in following plans unfortunately, just tend to run when I get the chance but usually at least 3 times a week plus some mountain biking and generally running round after the kids .

Went out yesterday and ran 5.4 miles in 47 mins which is easily my best time so far and I was very happy with .

Will be running the 10k with a friend who is trying to go under 50 so don't want to go to hard trying to keep up with them & blow up if I get a bit carried away as its my first race .

27/08/2013 at 21:06

Darren, sounds a fast time for somebody just starting! And at that pace (8:42mm) you could already manage 10k in 52:40! Adrenalin on race day would help a lot but yes, 50 mins might not be wise (this time).

When is the 10k?

28/08/2013 at 06:14

September the 15th so still have a couple of weeks  to go am really looking forward to it now .What is the best plan for training in the week leading up to the race ,not sure if I should ease off a bit or just carry on as normal .

HM4
28/08/2013 at 08:27

Darren,

I'd ease off a bit.  Have a look at some of the 10k plans on here that will give you an idea of what to do in the last couple of weeks.

29/08/2013 at 08:15

Thanks will do .

08/09/2013 at 11:55

Hi guys 

sorry it's been so long , but I hope you are all well and your running is going strong and your races are what you have been hoping for 

me I have been up and down however the last 10 being yateley I done in 53 minutes but what a struggle since then it been hard , now I need your help please 

whilst on holiday I picked up an ankle / shin injury through walking and I have been advised to avoid impact for a little while , but my problem is that I am rum manning the great south end of October , what do you recommend in place of pounding the treadmill and street , I need to keep my fitness up , I'm not going to give up yet I believe I still have time 

08/09/2013 at 13:34

Hey guys and gals, just checking in - I ran my first ever triathlon this morning.  Oh boy, are triathlons tough?!  Respect to everyone who competes in them..they really are the next level.  V glad I did it, feel on top of the world now which is amazing considering I felt terrible since thursday and very nearly pulled out.  Probably only a gentle jog mid-week, cos Sunday I'm running my first ever half marathon!

HM4
08/09/2013 at 14:01

(((7th Skip)))

How long have you been told to avoid impact work?

Daveo,

Well done.

08/09/2013 at 14:05

hi HM4 

been told to avoid impact from 7 to 14 days but take it on a day to day bases making sure the inflamation goes down and that it does not flare up again 

well done daveo - Half marathon is hard but great fun especially if they are well supported i have now done 2 and signed up for a third next year being the silverstone half 

HM4
08/09/2013 at 16:38

7th skip,

I don't think there would be too much fitness to loose in that time.  Perhaps try swimming if you wanted to do something?

08/09/2013 at 17:23

Thank you HM4 

i hope so , i have been stupid and felt I knew better ,took a week off due to holiday that's when the injury happened been trying to run since last week and only got the advise yesterday , so now listening 

went to gym today and done the cross trainer , no impact and was hard going and soul destroying ,but no pain so maybe the right choice 

thank you again 

10/09/2013 at 01:05

Darren, not long now, good luck and take things easy this week - your work is done already.

Skip, hope the injury is easing and you are getting back to full fitness soon.

Daveo, kudos to you! Thankfully I dont swim so a tri is out for me - Am always impressed with people that can do that so well done you!

Just started my taper for Loch Ness on the 29th and rightly (or most probably wrongly) have decided to do all my runs (apart from the 12 & 8 milers) at Marathon Pace or faster.

My (master) plan is to take things easy in October then do some proper HADDing and would like to do a sub 60 mins 10k by Christmas.

HM4
10/09/2013 at 18:46

Andi,

There's always duathlons!  Careful with doing that.  A taper is meant to give the body time to ease off & build the energy stores for the big day.

10/09/2013 at 19:29

lol HM4 and thought a duathlon might be suggested 

Yup, will be careful and will still cap my HR @80% on the hills and aim to average no more than 75%AHR over the shorter distances. Two reasons for doing this are to run a little faster downhill and to prove to myself that my plannedMP is doable (albeit for less than an hour). My taper is basically reducing mileage by 20-25% a week so will be resting up and hopefully fresh come raceday.

HM4
10/09/2013 at 19:41

Andi,

Hope this works for you.  You've done all the hard work and tapering is about taking things easy and getting the body to the optium to cope with the extra loads placed on it.  I've heard that there is the tendancy to overdo things on the taper.

10/09/2013 at 20:02

Agreed HM4 however if I cap my HR% I should be ok. Am pretty sure I'll be looking for things to do with all the 'running time' I'll be saving. My biggest fear is going out too quickly at LN, first 4 miles are basically downhill and quite steep so will have to curb my enthusiasm.

11/09/2013 at 07:09

Thanks Andi did a final long run on sunday & taking it easy now .

Does feel like I'm slacking off now but know it makes sense .

Even got my race number already pinned on my shirt .

HM4
11/09/2013 at 18:55

Andi,

Sounds a good idea.

Darren,

Good luck.

15/09/2013 at 12:22

Brilliant race if a bit muddy and more hills than I thought too .

But got round in 49.55 so very happy indeed .

15,941 to 15,960 of 16,077 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.